Wakaba Higuchi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wakaba Higuchi

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
It is reported from twitter that Wakaba is attending a local/regional competition this weekend. It was rumored that she might be debuting her new SP, as in the entry list, her SP music number was not indicated. It is now reported by local audiences that her new SP is (possibly) to a mambo, latino style of music. She starts the program with Stsq, followed by 2 spins, and it seems all jump passes are arranged in the 2nd half of the program. The unofficial score is 61.77.

Adding: links to the news
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20150404/fgr15040419490001-n1.html

From the news, it is confirmed that the number is indeed her new SP. It also says Wakaba is considering including 2 types of 3-3 jumping passes (out of 3Lz/3T/3L) in her FS, and possibly if she could, adding 3A to the free in the 2nd half of the new season.

All jumps in the 2nd half?! That's so ambitious. A mambo/latin style program might be good for her, since it seems like it could be very energetic. I hope there's a video

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
3A in the 2nd half of her FS?! :jaw::jaw: Omg, if she can pull all that off......the true second coming of Midori Ito :bow:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wakaba has that competitive instinct that I see in other top skaters. If she can stay un-injured, I can't wait to see what she'll do next.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah I hope she stays uninjured... It would be amazing if she pulled this off! I'm also hoping for more artistic improvement too :) I'm excited for her!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
All jumps in the 2nd half?! That's so ambitious. A mambo/latin style program might be good for her, since it seems like it could be very energetic. I hope there's a video

Thank you for the update. Sounds an adventurous plan for her. I hope she would not plan to put all jumping passes in the 2nd half of the new SP, because it was honestly boring to watch such a performance at Jr. Worlds. Could she land a 3A in practice? Sounds exiting.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is she able to do a 3A yet?:jaw:

I remember in an interview she stated she was working on it but was a quarter of a rotation short. I think she could pull it off!

NaVi

Medalist
3A in the 2nd half of her FS?!

Pretty sure it's the 2nd half of the season...

Also, I get really annoyed with people who complain about "unbalanced" programs with all the jumps in the 2nd half... the fact is that most jump layouts are already the same and putting all the jumps in the 2nd half is something that stands out. It's not "boring", it builds up and is exciting at the end.

CarneAsada

Medalist
It is reported from twitter that Wakaba is attending a local/regional competition this weekend. It was rumored that she might be debuting her new SP, as in the entry list, her SP music number was not indicated. It is now reported by local audiences that her new SP is (possibly) to a mambo, latino style of music. She starts the program with Stsq, followed by 2 spins, and it seems all jump passes are arranged in the 2nd half of the program. The unofficial score is 61.77.

Adding: links to the news
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20150404/fgr15040419490001-n1.html

From the news, it is confirmed that the number is indeed her new SP. It also says Wakaba is considering including 2 types of 3-3 jumping passes (out of 3Lz/3T/3L) in her FS, and possibly if she could, adding 3A to the free in the 2nd half of the new season.
Exciting to hear! I hope we can see the 3A soon.

Caustica

Final Flight

Also, I get really annoyed with people who complain about "unbalanced" programs with all the jumps in the 2nd half... the fact is that most jump layouts are already the same and putting all the jumps in the 2nd half is something that stands out. It's not "boring", it builds up and is exciting at the end.

I agree. 'Boring' is definitely the wrong word to use to describe something that only very few people do. I suppose people dislike it because it's a point-grabbing move (as are tanos) which makes it more difficult for their favourites to win (if they aren't the ones with such programs). Or maybe because people dislike change and this isn't the type of program they are used to. I can understand the argument that sometimes the result of such programs may not be artistically pleasing. But I think such programs can be made to be artistically pleasing if the music similarly builds up towards the end, as the tension does (coming up towards the jumps). It's not as though all programs with more 'balanced' jump layouts are artistically pleasing either.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

Ah yes. Thanks, I was too excited upon reading that lol :p But still, I hope she stays healthy because when she goes senior.....everyone better look out :party2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Whether some people like it or not, the criticism on such the layout of putting all jumping passes in the 2nd half of a program has been raised in the Jr. Worlds. Some unhappy people already admit that such layout is "unbalanced". :laugh: What is more "exciting" is also subjective to viewers. I don't appreciate certain people so quick to downplay others standing in different views just because they don't like them. I would suggest that they need to deal with it because there are plenty of other opinions who don't agree with theirs. That's why this kind of forums exist. :)

Anyway, Wakaba is a very young and talented girl not only in athletic aspects, but also in musicality, so trying everything possibly that she can would perhaps do good for her in a long run. I'm kind of hoping to see her in the senior stage soon, so ladies events could be more thrilling to watch.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
According to the on-site report from twitter, the elements for her new SP from yesterday are as follows: Stsq/FCsp/CCOsp/ 3F-2Tx/3Lzx/2Ax/Lsp. And all jumping passes are in 2nd half of the program. Tweeters say the program is quite different from her Gershwin piano concerto program, and with great expression showing. Also she was able to accelerate for jump passes in the 2nd half of the program. (And the mambo music seems to be a combination of Mambo Fantasy and Mambo No. 5)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
According to the on-site report from twitter, the elements for her new SP from yesterday are as follows: Stsq/FCsp/CCOsp/ 3F-2Tx/3Lzx/2Ax/Lsp. And all jumping passes are in 2nd half of the program. Tweeters say the program is quite different from her Gershwin piano concerto program, and with great expression showing. Also she was able to accelerate for jump passes in the 2nd half of the program. (And the mambo music seems to be a combination of Mambo Fantasy and Mambo No. 5)

Thanks for the summary. I wish there is some video for the performance.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States

I really hope we get a video! And maybe a summary of her FS too once she skates it. I'm excited to see what music she chooses...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All this talk about 3a's and wanting to see video of her latest competition got me to thinking that I would do a compilation video of her 2a's this season in slow motion so we can see how easily she can transition into the 3a. Well.....what ended up being the final video is basically a few 2a's in the beginning and then all of her jumps from JWC (minus the flips) mixed in with a few steps and a couple of spins.

**I forgot that she did 3z-2t-2lo** :points:

Wakaba Higuchi
2015 JWC Remix (Jump-a-mathon)
Available up to 720p HD
https://youtu.be/CxHZmtUYbQY

About her programs.....I really like her SP and think she was able to show a bit more personality in it vs. the FS. Early on in the JGP she struggled with her SP and even the jumps in it had issues like doubling her 3-3 and getting edge calls on her flip. She really nailed it here at JWC and I have to say that IMO she gets the most improved award if you take into consideration how she skated in the beginning of the year up until this very important event. While I don't dislike the FS it is a lot more just straight forward jump after jump with much less importance placed on the Choreo and Interpretation. Still a good program and technically strong but at least for me.....I hope her FS has a bit more personality next season. Anyway.....enough rambling from me. Hope you enjoy the little video I made.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
All this talk about 3a's and wanting to see video of her latest competition got me to thinking that I would do a compilation video of her 2a's this season in slow motion so we can see how easily she can transition into the 3a. Well.....what ended up being the final video is basically a few 2a's in the beginning and then all of her jumps from JWC (minus the flips) mixed in with a few steps and a couple of spins.

Wakaba Higuchi
2015 JWC Remix (Jump-a-mathon)
Available up to 720p HD
https://youtu.be/CxHZmtUYbQY

About her programs.....I really like her SP and think she was able to show a bit more personality in it vs. the FS. Early on in the JGP she struggled with her SP and even the jumps in it had issues like doubling her 3-3 and getting edge calls on her flip. She really nailed it here at JWC and I have to say that IMO she gets the most improved award if you take into consideration how she skated in the beginning of the year up until this very important event. While I don't dislike the FS it is a lot more just straight forward jump after jump with much less importance placed on the Choreo and Interpretation. Still a good program and technically strong but at least for me.....I hope her FS has a bit more personality next season. Anyway.....enough rambling from me. Hope you enjoy the little video I made.

Nice! The height she gets on her toe jumps is super! I didn't think her double axel was particularly high, but that may just be the camera angle. The over-all aesthetic of her jumps reminds me of Gracie Gold a bit.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Axel doesn't need to be high, it can be long (like Han Yan). She has great jumping ability. But I guess we will never see Biellmann from her.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
How early can she transition into the senior level? I know some skaters move to seniors at age 15 but some wait until they're 17 or 18.

ioanna

Record Breaker
How early can she transition into the senior level? I know some skaters move to seniors at age 15 but some wait until they're 17 or 18.

She can turn senior at the age of 15 if she's competitive enough, and I believe she will be. That means she can turn senior in the 2016-2017 season.