2015 Worlds Men Free Skate March 28 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Men Free Skate March 28

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Yuzu usually has a JSF official if Orser isn't there, I think? The last time he was alone was at last year's worlds i think.

yeah i was referring to last years's world :laugh: and the only time he was with JSF offical was at olympics though

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Javier is not going to be left alone ! He will have million pooh bears with him on ice :drama:

kresslia

Medalist
How great it is to have an exam tomorrow (yes, on a Saturday) and thus be unable to watch the free skates of my two favourite events. :(

krispy

Rinkside
Phaneuf has placed as high as 5th in the worlds… within about 1 point or 2 from bronze won by lepisto… (let's not talk about Robinson LOL) i think you also didn't read fully what I am saying… NOT only it's unfair to the skaters who should have been going due to their results at nationals BUT IT ALSO puts a lot of pressure on the skaters who get selected without truly earning it… In the end, Wagner didn't medal, (not saying Nagasu would have) and there was no men for Russia when plushenko withdrew… So whatever ;)

Phanuef placed 5th almost 4 years later Robinson skated well at that event and that was a tough event overall in no way would Phanuef have scored better (she was 17th the year). Plushenko and Wagner did both medal in the team events so being sent wasn't for nothing.

Nationals isn't the only competition that matters

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm contemplating on getting a chocolate bar and eating it so I can stay up for both the men's and ladies FP. Though I'm leaning more towards sleeping and waking up early for the men's FP cause the men's discipline is my favorite out of the 4.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Phanuef placed 5th almost 4 years later Robinson skated well at that event and that was a tough event overall in no way would Phanuef have scored better (she was 17th the year). Plushenko and Wagner did both medal in the team events so being sent wasn't for nothing.

Nationals isn't the only competition that matters
Robinson has never skated well… Thank goodness she retired before the new code of points… all her jumps were cheated. As I said, let's not focus on her… as I could go on and on with how she got overscored at Canadians several times…

Re my point: Phaneuf, before her growing injury had all clean triples (except for 3A). She was at her peak when she won her first nationals as a tiny girl, a bit on the Russian/Japanese youngster model and with lyrical natural skills. She never got the chance to skate at her peak as she grew 6 inches, had to relearn all her jumps (never relearned the 3F really well, and suffered many injuries), which happened much later but by then, she had been in the shadow of Rochette in Canada (and yes, I know Rochette didn't go to the worlds after Vancouver). Not only you can't write her name properly but you don't quite understand what I am saying. Regarding Plushie and Ashley, considering the strength of the 3 teams competing in WTT (USA, RUSSIA and Canada) being so above the other teams because they have decent skaters in all fields or at least 3 of the 4 events, it doesn't have much of an impact… especially with the option of using only one skater or using two… (Chan for the SP, Reynolds for the FP for instance)… so the WTT is not relevant in the discussion I am making… If you can't comprehend my argument, let's just agree to disagree … I know where I stand :) enjoy the skating tonight as this thread is about the Men's free skate… I simply mentioned that Nan Song perhaps wasn't the best choice… following a post about someone talking about the other young chinese skater… never intended to have to explain things from 2004…

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'm contemplating on getting a chocolate bar and eating it so I can stay up for both the men's and ladies FP. Though I'm leaning more towards sleeping and waking up early for the men's FP cause the men's discipline is my favorite out of the 4.

Honestly, try a chocolate meal replacement drink instead. I love it because they alleviate the chocolate craving, a necessity, but has enough good crap in it to keep from crashing and needing more chocolate after a few hours. Healthy chocolate is a great win win! Don't think of it as skipping a meal/meal replacement, you are replacing the candy bar not the meal. Chocolate in liquid form is really one of my favorite snacks.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, try a chocolate meal replacement drink instead. I love it because they alleviate the chocolate craving, a necessity, but has enough good crap in it to keep from crashing and needing more chocolate after a few hours. Healthy chocolate is a great win win! Don't think of it as skipping a meal/meal replacement, you are replacing the candy bar not the meal. Chocolate in liquid form is really one of my favorite snacks.

Oh no. I rarely skip meals. Well sometimes I eat some meals later and have a lighter load like if I was super busy for the day. Plus I already ate dinner about 30 minutes ago.

Meh....might use chocolate milk instead since I don't have that type of drink.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Josh is skating right after Brendan.

:hopelessness:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Regarding Plushie and Ashley, considering the strength of the 3 teams competing in WTT (USA, RUSSIA and Canada) being so above the other teams because they have decent skaters in all fields or at least 3 of the 4 events, it doesn't have much of an impact… especially with the option of using only one skater or using two… (Chan for the SP, Reynolds for the FP for instance)… so the WTT is not relevant in the discussion I am making…
I can't believe you're saying one skater doesn't matter much after what Kovtun just delivered in the SP. Can you imagine if he'd skated like that at the Olympics, at the first competition of the team event, and placed last? :drama: Not just the loss in points, but the psychological effect on his teammates. People like I/K, who were known to be quite inconsistent, and could very well have botched a lift or fallen on twizzles had they skated with Team Russia in a deficit.

Same goes for Mirai: what if she'd showed up at the Olympics with her Skate America SP from this year? Granted, they could've made Polina do the Team Event instead, but I can see why the USFSA was hesitant about going with someone really inconsistent (Mirai) or someone skating in their first international competition (Polina). So they put their faith in Ashley, and it paid off.

I would've given Boyang Worlds over Nan Song, but the examples you're using hardly work. Those people were selected for relative consistency and scoring potential, despite bombing one competition (Nationals). Nan Song, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have either scoring potential or consistency. A shame, since he didn't do all that badly jumps-wise in the SP... just needed a level doctor and a completed StSq.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Oh no. I rarely skip meals. Well sometimes I eat some meals later and have a lighter load like if I was super busy for the day. Plus I already ate dinner about 30 minutes ago.

Meh....might use chocolate milk instead since I don't have that type of drink.

I do that often for a snack too. It really is a much better snack than people give it credit. It's refreshing, relaxing, chocolaty, satisfying, quick, could be worse in terms of health. . . honestly I think chocolate milk should be a much more common snack.

The meal replacement ones are nice as they are shelf stable so don't need a fridge. That might be their biggest advantage in my eyes over chocolate milk. That and I respond well to vitamins in terms of not being ravenously hungry as soon as i crash. It's nice for the chocolate craving to be satisfied for more than 2 hours.

krispy

Rinkside
Robinson has never skated well… Thank goodness she retired before the new code of points… all her jumps were cheated. As I said, let's not focus on her… as I could go on and on with how she got overscored at Canadians several times…

Re my point: Phaneuf, before her growing injury had all clean triples (except for 3A). She was at her peak when she won her first nationals as a tiny girl, a bit on the Russian/Japanese youngster model and with lyrical natural skills. She never got the chance to skate at her peak as she grew 6 inches, had to relearn all her jumps (never relearned the 3F really well, and suffered many injuries), which happened much later but by then, she had been in the shadow of Rochette in Canada (and yes, I know Rochette didn't go to the worlds after Vancouver). Not only you can't write her name properly but you don't quite understand what I am saying. Regarding Plushie and Ashley, considering the strength of the 3 teams competing in WTT (USA, RUSSIA and Canada) being so above the other teams because they have decent skaters in all fields or at least 3 of the 4 events, it doesn't have much of an impact… especially with the option of using only one skater or using two… (Chan for the SP, Reynolds for the FP for instance)… so the WTT is not relevant in the discussion I am making… If you can't comprehend my argument, let's just agree to disagree … I know where I stand :) enjoy the skating tonight as this thread is about the Men's free skate… I simply mentioned that Nan Song perhaps wasn't the best choice… following a post about someone talking about the other young chinese skater… never intended to have to explain things from 2004…

Sorry for spelling Phaneuf's name wrong... how horrible of me...

Phaneuf placed 10th at Junior Worlds that year not exactly great at there peak! Again I repeat if you don't get what I'm saying Robinson skated well at that event and had a much better chance to land in the top 12 than Phaneuf thats why she was chosen. Same with Ashley the chances of her skating better than Mirai was better. Plushneshenko too

Its simple logic send who ever you think will perform the best to big events not just those who skated well at Nationals

Now I'll shut up about this

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can't believe you're saying one skater doesn't matter much after what Kovtun just delivered in the SP. Can you imagine if he'd skated like that at the Olympics, at the first competition of the team event, and placed last? :drama: Not just the loss in points, but the psychological effect on his teammates. People like I/K, who were known to be quite inconsistent, and could very well have botched a lift or fallen on twizzles had they skated with Team Russia in a deficit.

Same goes for Mirai: what if she'd showed up at the Olympics with her Skate America SP from this year? Granted, they could've made Polina do the Team Event instead, but I can see why the USFSA was hesitant about going with someone really inconsistent (Mirai) or someone skating in their first international competition (Polina). So they put their faith in Ashley, and it paid off.

I would've given Boyang Worlds over Nan Song, but the examples you're using hardly work. Those people were selected for relative consistency and scoring potential, despite bombing one competition (Nationals). Nan Song, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have either scoring potential or consistency. A shame, since he didn't do all that badly jumps-wise in the SP... just needed a level doctor and a completed StSq.

MUAHAHA :) considering how figure skating was judged in sotchi, Russia was going to win the TT no matter what :) as I said, my point is more intricate than just that… and since people keep only reading/quoting half of what I am saying, why bother discussing ?

Please let go back to the topic of this particular event.. I am certainly not the one who started discussing Boyang TES and what not.. i haven't even ever seen him skate ;) i was just arguing that it often doesn't give the greatest results when not following nationals as 1) nationals are a great indicator of who is fit to go at a time right before the worlds…. 2) nationals are often as stressful/meaningful for athletes because it does imply the end of the season or going to bigger competitions… 3) and for one last time… my argument resides in the fact that this kind of discussion, protest, appeal and so on does not do any good to the skater who has been selected without "earning it traditionally"…. Nobody knows here how mirai would have done in Sotchi if she had gone… or how kovtun would have seized the day when he was so fit and perhaps had less pressure as back then he was a newcomer and now he is expected to be the next great Russian male skater…. Nobody knows what would have happened or what could have happened… so for me, as I respect all skaters, their work, their resources and everything they contribute to make it on the world stage, I think it's only fair to give them a clear chance to earn their trip to the world, based on a precise event… Like in many other sports, you win, you keep going, you lose like Sharapova did yesterday, it doesn't matter if you are #2 tennis player in the world and the young Russian Gavrilova who is barely inside the 100th beats you… Sharapova is out of this tournament and Gavrilova continues… That's simple and fair…. I'd feel awful if I invested all my life to go to the olympics and was denied by a federation based on maybes and i would also feel awful for other skaters if I got chosen by the federation after bombing nationals…. That's my point… examples are there to illustrate that… there are surely better examples so hopefully this time, you all can get the general idea :) cheers

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry for spelling Phaneuf's name wrong... how horrible of me...

Phaneuf placed 10th at Junior Worlds that year not exactly great at there peak! Again I repeat if you don't get what I'm saying Robinson skated well at that event and had a much better chance to land in the top 12 than Phaneuf thats why she was chosen. Same with Ashley the chances of her skating better than Mirai was better. Plushneshenko too

Its simple logic send who ever you think will perform the best to big events not just those who skated well at Nationals

Now I'll shut up about this

Thank you for shutting up… it isn't meaningful to me that Phaneuf didn't do well at the juniors… who knows how she felt when she was denied to compete at the senior worlds? Lack of motivation can lead to very quick sabotage… As I said, it's not about the examples here.. it's about the general idea. Make it clear what is required to qualify and stick to it.. That's the fairest way to treat all athletes and also, reduces useless banter that cannot help the athletes in any way, and it limits further political selection within the federations, giving everyone a chance to be rewarded when they do well, making national selections an event that really counts…. Everyone seems to complain about judging, me included, so how would you feel if you were a judge and then the federation dismissed your selection and sent other athletes to events? This is ridiculous, and that's the point I am making…