Worlds pre-coverage/news conferences/etc. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds pre-coverage/news conferences/etc.

sisinka

Final Flight
Natalya Bestemianova (with Andrei Bukin – Ivan Bukin’s father she won European/World/Olympic titles) puts another pressure on M&K and I&Z…she feels that some couples will split after the end of season…
…she also complains about the position Stepanova & Bukin have…
…she also complains about Torvill & Dean at 1984 Olympics (where they won with famous Bolero)…

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20150319/816202773.html …from 19th of March…

“New rules took emotional perception in ice dance practically…there is the feeling that all couples are doing the same. What I like in Stepanova & Bukin’s case is that they are searching and finding new forms. Look at their Twizzles, look at their variety of transitions. This makes them different from other duets.“

“French (P&C) are working in this plan also. But they were more successfull in it, because they are first couple of France and they (French Fed) are supporting them well. And Stepanova & Bukin are fighting in their “garden“ (meaning fighting with other National teams) instead of fighting with couples of top world level. It happened in our time with Andrei also.“

Bestemianova punctuated that such rough competition on National level leads to a situation that sportsmen visibly stay behind rivals at International level. “This wrong politics didn’t allow us to win Olympics 1984 with Torvill & Dean – they were first couple in their country for four years and they were “thundering“ (in meaning of being visible) a we (Bestemianova & Bukin) were loosing a big part of our energy on fighting with National couples. The same thing happens now.“

“Once again I feel that some couples will split at the end of the season, there will be new couples and we will once again do the same thing. We are loosing time not knowing on what, instead of supporting the couple who is growing and progressing.“

sses1

On the Ice
Interesting. I wonder what couples she's alluding to. I do love S/B's style though and their twizzles. They have a really bright future ahead of them, but they need more speed!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watched a couple of promo clips from China. the theme song is 冰。缘 it means ice . friendship (could also mean ice. edge. the second character has multiple meanings). Wang/Wang is gonna do some awesome programs during the opening ceremony. which will last about 20 mins.
Ice will be good, around -4 degree. the city invested their heart for this event.first time in China. They invested alot in hotel, transportation, athlet habit, including food allergies (Joshua:yes:)

noidont

Final Flight
I really want to go and teach them how to bypass all the censorship toys...Give me a call ISU...

bramweld

Record Breaker
Natalya Bestemianova (with Andrei Bukin – Ivan Bukin’s father she won European/World/Olympic titles) puts another pressure on M&K and I&Z…she feels that some couples will split after the end of season…
…she also complains about the position Stepanova & Bukin have…
…she also complains about Torvill & Dean at 1984 Olympics (where they won with famous Bolero)…

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20150319/816202773.html …from 19th of March…

“New rules took emotional perception in ice dance practically…there is the feeling that all couples are doing the same. What I like in Stepanova & Bukin’s case is that they are searching and finding new forms. Look at their Twizzles, look at their variety of transitions. This makes them different from other duets.“

“French (P&C) are working in this plan also. But they were more successfull in it, because they are first couple of France and they (French Fed) are supporting them well. And Stepanova & Bukin are fighting in their “garden“ (meaning fighting with other National teams) instead of fighting with couples of top world level. It happened in our time with Andrei also.“

Bestemianova punctuated that such rough competition on National level leads to a situation that sportsmen visibly stay behind rivals at International level. “This wrong politics didn’t allow us to win Olympics 1984 with Torvill & Dean – they were first couple in their country for four years and they were “thundering“ (in meaning of being visible) a we (Bestemianova & Bukin) were loosing a big part of our energy on fighting with National couples. The same thing happens now.“

“Once again I feel that some couples will split at the end of the season, there will be new couples and we will once again do the same thing. We are loosing time not knowing on what, instead of supporting the couple who is growing and progressing.“

She is clearly deluded if she thought politics is why she and Bukin lost the gold in 1984. Russians seem to simply lack the poise needed to truly develop talent. They'd rather wave some magic wand and have some pair dominate as of yesterday. Unfortunately for them it just doesn't work that way in ice dance.

Back to S/B, if your pets want to be the best in the world they should easily and handily be able to overcome national competition. S/B are a lovely pair but they are not without their flaws. A more objective approach toward their team would be more palatable, imho.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Fuji TV focus on Satoko and Rika
Satoko had injured her left foot before 4CC, but did not want the press to know about it till afterward- she didn't want it to be an excuse for her falling in the FS. Anyway, good luck girls!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kcv6r_2015世界フィギュア特集⑧本郷理華-宮原知子-女子公式練習-村上佳菜子出発_sport

that sounds like someone i know (yuzuru at worlds 2012 :laugh:) i hope she is better now, low jumps or not, i just love her skating :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OMG, this tweet/photo from Polina Edmunds is adorable/hilarious :) :laugh:.

‏@PolinaEdmunds
Fresh off the flight last night & straight to Yang's Dumplings! Waited the whole 12hr ✈️ for these!! @jasonbskates
7:35 PM - 23 Mar 2015
https://twitter.com/PolinaEdmunds/status/580196085412405249

The backstory is that when Polina was in Shanghai for Cup of China, she had discovered a great dumpling outpost, thanks to Christina Gao.
Polina ate there at least three times on the Cup of China trip, IIRC -- kept putting photos up on social media ... took Ashley Cain there, etc.

And upon her return to Shanghai, Polina has wasted no time in revisiting the dumpling place. And she took lucky Jason with her.

p.s. I had never seen Polina's eyeglasses before. They are very becoming. :)

ETA, Jason then tweeted a photo as well ... and posted it on the USFS Instagram account too:

@jasonbskates
Made it to Shanghai! 1st order of business...go to @christina_gao's highly recommended dumpling restaurant...AMAZING!
Polina Edmunds
1:09 AM - 24 Mar 2015
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/580280362758062080

https://instagram.com/p/0mPp-Km36D/

ETA, reply from ‏@christina_gao:
@jasonbskates @PolinaEdmunds omg eat some dumplings for me!
5:11 AM - 24 Mar 2015
https://twitter.com/christina_gao/status/580341255697276928

Last edited:

Violetti

On the Ice
The Finnish synchronized skating team Team Unique (2013 world champions) were invited to perform in the gala on Sunday. The coach Mirjami Penttinen says it is so great that the words cannot express that. It shows respect to synchronized skating. Team Unique is not going to synchro worlds 2015 as there are three very good teams in Finland and Team Unique was not selected this year so it is very good for them to have this opportunity.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The 2015 Worlds page is up on usfigureskatingfanzone, offering one-stop shopping for US-centric links, schedules, etc.

The initial batch of quotes there:

The Word Around Town

Brandon Frazier – (on first Worlds) It’s very exciting stuff. It’s a new learning process and adventure for us to add to our career. We’re trying to peak our programs here and that’s all we can ask for.

Zach Donohue – (on returning to Worlds) We’re feeling incredible. We’re confident. We’ve trained all year for this and fought through ridiculous amounts of pressure and setbacks to come out much stronger. We’re happy to be here.

Alex Shibutani – (on experience in Shanghai) Practices have been going well. We had an unofficial on Sunday and two practices yesterday. We’re feeling really ready to go and really in shape. We’ve been in this rink for practices and competitions so many times, we’ve done two Cup of Chinas as this rink before this week, so it’s a familiar comfortable setting for us.

Adam Rippon – (on Worlds prep) It feels great to be at worlds. I feel really well trained and I’m here to perform my programs. I feel I’m capable of doing everything that I plan to do, especially the quad Lutz. I’m hoping to set it on fire.