Melissa Bulanhagui | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Melissa Bulanhagui

M

mylastduchess

It would have been impossible for her to represent the Philippines since beginning because PSU wasn't an ISU member until 2007. Philippines didn't have the requisite number of rinks until then. Now she could have competed only ISI events until then, but what would be the point? Also, she could have been third-generation and we would still welcome her as a Filipina. Go Mel!

Yeah the Philippines became a member only quite recently which would have been perfect for her to claim that she always wanted to skate for the Philippines, but yet she waited all these years? (Was she even involved with the PSU at all before?)

Contrary to what some here believe that importing a skater would somehow positively affect local skaters by unkown reasons, I think depriving local skaters international competition and funds don't really help them at all.

If a skater can't make the top 3 spot in their home country, then how would they then land top 12 at worlds, representing a different country? More often they don't even make past qualifiers because most skaters this situation doesn't even get passed the qualifiers! (Melissa is an exception to this cause she is talented enough)

R.D.

Record Breaker
At the end of the day, it's HER career.

Ultimately this is what it comes down to. Yes, she's free to make any decision that she thinks will best suit her/her family. (And likewise, the fans are free to make whatever they will out of said decision.)

Normally I'm not a fan of country-hopping. I like those who stick it out and remain with the country they started out with. But at least this is a case of representing a country one has actual TIES to.

We'll see what happens. It's the easy way out but it's an option nonetheless. Could open up many doors for her including the vaunted Olys.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. To me, it looks like Melissa stuck with it about as long as she could with the USFS. This time last year, she may have had hopes especially medalling at Nebelhorn. But with a 10th place finish at Nationals, plus AFAIK no Senior B assignments this fall, I don't see a lot of upside potential for her trying to get to the top 5-6 of the USA heap. If I didn't know better, I'd say the USFS was giving her the message to move on. IMO, if she has the legitimate opportunity to use her talents and skate for another country and improve her lot, she'd be an idiot NOT to make the jump. She and her family are the ones who have borne the brunt of the costs in sweat, cash, and foregone opportunities...so if they and the Philippine Federation are all on the same page, more power to her. The USFS clearly has no problem getting out of her way.

Other Philippine skaters will have to now improve and earn their way past Mel B, as she is clearly ability-wise, out in front of the current pack (barring injury or freakily bad national competition). This is a potential upside in the long run. The PHI Federation is likely thrilled to have a skater who has a real chance at making it through the full competition, rather than tossing their time and funds away on somebody who can't make it out of qualifying. Remember: "World Championship" is not a "Sports Festival." Finally, some other USA senior lady now has a shot at moving up to Mel's vacated place in the pecking order. I'm just not seeing any major downsides in this new arrangement.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I've known several skaters to represent other countries when they couldn't make it out of Regionals/Sectionals as Juniors/Seniors. They wouldn't trade the experience of going to Worlds/continental championships for anything, even if they did barely make the cut for LP in some cases. The countries they represented did not have anyone who would do anywhere as good as they did at that time (for the most part, they had "developmental" level skaters who were maybe working on single Axels/low doubles). I don't understand the angst about this at all.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Whole post

Agreed. They all win, except perhaps, Mel's parents, who now have to foot the bill for the flight to Manila for Nationals :laugh:

Here's to hoping that Mel will be the first Filipina to medal internationally (whether it be a Senior B or anything else), while skating for the Philippines. And when she does, hopefully it'll spur on the other Filipina skaters to land jumps more difficult than the triple Salchow.

I don't see the angst, either, especially when Mel does have ties to the country through family, and having gone to the Philippines for extensive visits as a child. I would be more upset, say, if Amanda Evora chose to compete for the Philippines, since USFS has clearly invested more in her (and, like Mel, she still has ties to the country; I believe she visits her grandmother who lives there every summer).

At the very least, at least announcers at nationals won't be butchering her last name now.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Agreed. They all win, except perhaps, Mel's parents, who now have to foot the bill for the flight to Manila for Nationals :laugh:

Wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who "encouraged" her to make this move in the first place...so I say they all win;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
R.D., I'm pretty sure at some point your ancestors took the easy way out and immigrated to the U.S. You are probably grateful they did?

R.D.

Record Breaker
You guys miss the point. Not saying it's a BAD thing to do so. I think you could say that for every American (save the Native Indians), right?

I said I had MIXED thoughts about it. Not that I was AGAINST her switching. I was playing a little DA to be honest...I think ultimately this will be a good thing for her, but it does not change my PERSONAL thoughts about country-switching that I mentioned earlier.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Toughing it out is overrated. So is giving in to a situation. Easy way out is often a smart way out. When there is a door open to you, it's only smart to go through it than banging against the wall or the closed door.

I don't see Mel B hanging in there going nowhere fast does anybody any good or demonstrates any admirable character or patriotism/loyalty.

eta R.D., I never said taking the easy way out and immigrating to the US was a bad thing. It was your own negative perception and implication of "taking the easy way out" that prompted you to defend yourself. People immigrate instead of toughing it out where they are because of better opportunities for the future, not necessarily for an instant easier life. They may still have to work as hard or more, but there is hope and likelihood that the hard work will reap higher rewards. Meanwhile they contribute to the new land or build a nation. In today's world, immigrants to N America may not have to brave the Canadian winter or American frontier, but they may face prejudices and severe drop of social status besides other adjustments to a new society. People weigh things out in their decision and the receiving nation benefits as well, else they would not have allowed in or at least tolerated the new people.

Mel B switching to represent another country does not mean she will have it easy. She still has to train hard and better herself and her chances internationally. But at least she will have a chance.

TimDavid

Rinkside
On behalf of Melissa's team; parents, coaches, and herself - we thank you for your kind words and encouragement. We look forward on heading to Manila and experience Philippine Nationals.

Melissa continues to train hard for November's PHI nationals and she hopes to skate well for her parents and herself. After November's 2011 Nationals - she will resume training until she competes again in the fall of 2012. Melissa will then participate at various of charities and skate.

Our goal is to hopefully put Philippines in the map for the first time at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Thank you again for your support :)
Tim David
Melissa Bulanhagui's manager

R.D.

Record Breaker
Melissa continues to train hard for November's PHI nationals and she hopes to skate well for her parents and herself. After November's 2011 Nationals - she will resume training until she competes again in the fall of 2012. Melissa will then participate at various of charities and skate.

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the board.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Tim, thanks and welcome. Hopefully, we will not have to wait as long as Sochi, and will see Melissa put the Philippines on the skating map during the 2012-2013 season, hopefully starting with some Senior B's. We wish her good health and happy, injury-free training for the rest of this season. Do check in and keep us posted from time to time.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The comparisons of Kristi Yamaguchi or Michelle Kwan don't neatly apply because they were both Americans (American-born, American-raised, American-representing).

My comparison is that Mel B. is American born and raised but born of immigrant parents, just like Michlelle and Kristi, who were creme of the crop like I said and went on to represent the US triumphantly. Mel B's prospect to represent the US is not so bright. Her decision to switch should come as early as possible when this reality is clear.

I can't help but not respect Bulanhagui's choice as much because it looks like it was a choice made out of convenience (not that I can blame her, but I've always taken the harder road when it better matched my principles). If she always wanted to represent the Philippines more then she should have from the get-go.

Don't buy the idea that B class skaters frim ither countries will somehow boost the sport in those countries because lets face it they wont be racking up medals any time soon therefore would get ignored.

If a skater can't make the top 3 spot in their home country, then how would they then land top 12 at worlds, representing a different country?

I can justify it happening in pairs and dance, since you have two skaters and the partnership needs to work out...but singles, meh.

I would like to address these opinions with the Duchesnays, Isabelle and Paul. Though they were a team, they were siblings not looking for partners and they "defected" together when they were not getting the support of the Canadian Federation Of Figure Skating which criticized their innovative style. They were 4th for two years with little hope of representing Canada. They then represented France without initial success but eventually became World Champions and made significant mark on Ice Dance. Canadians are proud of them even if they skated for France.

Are the Duchsnays not worthy of respect? Did they not prove one can achieve success with perseverance even if it seems unlikely at a time?

No idea how far Melissa can go, but she should be encouraged to try hard and go for it. No telling what her best may be.

christinaskater

Medalist
On behalf of Melissa's team; parents, coaches, and herself - we thank you for your kind words and encouragement. We look forward on heading to Manila and experience Philippine Nationals.

Our goal is to hopefully put Philippines in the map for the first time at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Thank you again for your support :)
Tim David
Melissa Bulanhagui's manager

Thanks Tim! I am all out with my support for Melissa! That would be exhilarating to put the Philippines on the map of Figure skating and hopefully grab a spot for the Winter Olympics in Sochi! Many things can still happen! All the best!

prettykeys

Medalist
I don't understand why some people are so critical of her decision. I know she's taking the easy way, but can you 100% say you would not do the same if you had the same chance?!
Yes, I can

At the end of the day, it's HER career. SHE and her family are paying for training. It's HER body taking the beating that skating competitively gives. SHE gets to decide what's best for her and how best to achieve her goals.
At the end of the day, it's MY opinion, it's ME who's paying for MY computer and internet. It's ME taking the time to post my thoughts on MY account at Golden Skate.

We're all peeking in and commenting on Mel's decision, the difference seems to be that more posters here care about my/R.D.'s opinion than we apparently care about theirs. :p

less butthurt plz

I don't see Mel B hanging in there going nowhere fast does anybody any good or demonstrates any admirable character or patriotism/loyalty.
Such would demonstrate loyalty (to the US) in my eyes, and loyalty is an admirable trait, to me. Or, she could've chosen to rep the Philippines as soon as that opportunity came along, which would have also demonstrated loyalty (to the Philippines) which she also apparently didn't do - she waited a couple years.

My comparison is that Mel B. is American born and raised but born of immigrant parents, just like Michlelle and Kristi, who were creme of the crop like I said and went on to represent the US triumphantly. Mel B's prospect to represent the US is not so bright. Her decision to switch should come as early as possible when this reality is clear.
I seriously don't know why Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Wie (who all represented the US of A) were brought up, if nothing else but to demonstrate contrasting examples of loyalty while being similarly born of immigrant parents. :) They only serve to strengthen my opinion of what to respect more.

I would like to address these opinions with the Duchesnays, Isabelle and Paul. Though they were a team, they were siblings not looking for partners and they "defected" together when they were not getting the support of the Canadian Federation Of Figure Skating which criticized their innovative style. They were 4th for two years with little hope of representing Canada. They then represented France without initial success but eventually became World Champions and made significant mark on Ice Dance. Canadians are proud of them even if they skated for France.
1) Paul Duchesnay was born in France.
2) Paul and Isabelle both lived in Quebec, which is known as "French Canada". Is wherever Mel from "Filipino America"?
3) They were ranked fairly competitively (relatively better than Mel is) and yet were criticized on their style by their Federation, according to you. It was not merely a lack of opportunity with the option of trying harder and getting better.

I honestly don't particularly care. If the Philippines are happy to be represented by a skater who made them second-choice and the American federation ain't losing its sleep over losing her, then it's clearly win-win. Please try not to take it too personally that she's not my role model or anything

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.”

--E.M. Forester

prettykeys

Medalist
“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.”

--E.M. Forester
Does that mean that Mel B has no friends in the USA? :cry:

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.
--John F. Kennedy