My Worlds Experience | Page 2 | Golden Skate

My Worlds Experience

humbaba

Final Flight
Elena was very bad too!! Quite a shocker, maybe just some time difference.

I recall last fall that Rad had some rough practices before one of her Grand Prixs, but ended up skating well. I think she may be one of those skaters who can make mistakes in practice, but pull it together for the competition.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Anna was in a terrible shape when she was at her first GP's (Skate America?) pre-competition practice this season but she went ahead and won the completion. So it is really hard to tell from practice.

Anna actually isn't in top form right now. There is a recent interview with her coach saying that she got injured after the Europeans (sprained foot and she suffered a partial tear of the ligaments). For a month she could do nothing and came back to fully prepare for Worlds on the 12th of March only. Still not fully recovered and will treat her inury after Worlds. Apparently her foot is still not strong and she will get start treatment again after Worlds. It's such a pity, but she's tough and a fighter, so who knows? All the best to her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Anna and Elena are often bad in practice and then kill it in competition. Even at test skates, it's normal for Elena to fall like 3 times in a single program, but then when it's time to compete it's business as usual.

As for Anna, I would assume the injury is playing a factor, however I remember she was stinking up the practices back at Skate Canada this fall but then skated really well during the competition. So who knows.

I think both girls just flew into Shanghai today too so jet lag could also be a factor. Did Tuk land any clean 3a in the practice??

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
thanks a lot for reports!

I think she may be one of those skaters who can make mistakes in practice, but pull it together for the competition.
Lena is a crowd pleaser & performer
I bet she'll be on fire when it matters :love:

Pika

Final Flight
Thank you Antonio for all these information !!!
I've been to the World Championships in Nice in 2012 and this was one of the most amazing experience I've had in the skating world, I wish you will enjoy as I did !!!

It's a shame for Anna to have been injured and not totally recovered, but at Worlds we never know what can happen!! Adrenaline, good or bad pressure... This competition is really promising, hope they will all enchant us ;)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
What are people watching bringing different reports? :confused:
Pretty sure it was the same at the GPF, I saw some skaters have a great practice, I go online, and people are saying it was a disaster! And vice versa.
That pesky "certain point of view". :laugh:

mnm464

On the Ice
I'll try to make some practices tomorrow :) As for Zijun, she has had a very long growth spurt, she seems to be growing out of it now. Based on the practices, I think she's playing a safe program for a top 10 finish and crowd pleaser ^^ she did lots of triple toes triple toe combos instead of 3F3T. I just hope that she adds all of her content. At 4CC, she left out an entire combo jump whcih hurt her dearly. Perflrmance wasnt bad, she had a genuine smile in her face, which at the end of the day, js worth more than any medal ^^

Thank you so much! As long as she is happy with what she did, that is all that matters(although as a competitive skater, now, I can't complain with a medal ahaha) I think that she will continue to improve within the next season with her consistency. her IG videos are really good!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ashley is the artist and now the jumper too. Oh please let her finish on the podium. She is so much better than anyone in her way of moving. I just don't care for Liza or her program nor the costumes. But she is the only polished Russian girl. I just don't see her as the best in the world. My how I wish for a Carolina or a Mao or an -Akiko. These were stunning skaters not just athletes. Well, it is nice to see that there are a few artists left while we wait for the teens to grow into women.

It seems we know who will win already.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Ashley is the artist and now the jumper too. Oh please let her finish on the podium. She is so much better than anyone in her way of moving. I just don't care for Liza or her program nor the costumes. But she is the only polished Russian girl. I just don't see her as the best in the world. My how I wish for a Carolina or a Mao or an -Akiko. These were stunning skaters not just athletes. Well, it is nice to see that there are a few artists left while we wait for the teens to grow into women.

It seems we know who will win already.

I am assuming you are referring to her musicality? As Ashley is older and more mature than the Russian tsarinas, I am not surprised she has better musicality and performance in time to the music. I do believe that the musical aspects does take time to develop as the skater matures. I still remember the young Mao, Yuna and Caro who were noticeably awkward then. Yuna once moved clunkily, Mao skated through her music and Caro was coltish and skated like a speed truck. They all could jump for sure but it was only when they got older and more mature that the performance aspect really filled out. So I won't blast the Russians yet for their lack of artistry. However, I do have to acknowledge that while not the artist of the Kostner or Wagner level, both Liza Tuks and Lena Radio are good performers who could connect to the audience and they both generally create positive "feel good" vibes. I am sure this goes down well in putting judges in a generous mood. That could be why they receive fairly high PE and IN scores although they are not as polished as say Wagner.

Last edited:

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Hey guys! Sorry for posting really late, we ended up meeting some americans living in shangai and we and they showed us some night life there :D Was really fun. I haven't had time to post here, so I'll do it quickly.

The arena was very nice. Wasn't too cold, although the wifi wouldn't really work.

Short Dance: Not big fan of ice dance, and not really a big fan of this years theme: Paso Doble. Really bland. The only theme i've ever liked was the folk dance back in 2010.
I/Z: Glad that they are in the top 6. Really the only program I enjoyed. I am happy that they have been scoring really well in the short program, but lets hope they pull it together for the free. :)
Shibutanis: I didn't like there program, but I thought they deserved more. Had some interesting elements in there. When there scores came up, some in the audience felt that it should have been higher. But maybe it's something I'm not seeing?
W/P: Hate their costuming, blech program but what can ya say.
C/B: I like there Don Quixote :D Deserved lead. But I can't stand there free program.
Italians: Glad that they are still in the mix :) Hope they can show something for that world title last year.
C/P: My favorite pair, hope they can do good in the free cause that's my favorite free program.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Short Pairs: We actually got to move up towards the front row because there were a lot of empty seats. Was surprised since pairs is clearly China's biggest strength.
Chinese: Didn't really enjoy any of their programs, but good to know that they are all doing well :) I don't think the crowd loved it either, since not many were very expressive with their scores and what not.
D/R: I don't like this pair. And I'm a Canadian!! Eric, you don't have to wear black all the time. But it is much more artistic program than there free. I cannot stand that free program.
Russians: Well was really shocked my S/K pulling out, didn't like them before and it's incredibly disrespectful of them to pull out. I liked Kavaguti and Smironovs programs:) I hope they medal after being written off last year. Oh! and good for Morozov and tarasova for being in 6th. Hope they get 3 spots again next year. Isn't it odd that two of the most accomplished Russian Coaches (Morozov and Tarasova) names are in a pair? Hmm...

Well that's all from me, sorry I couldnt really write much. I will be writing about the Ladies and the Free Dance in the afternooon :) Afterall its like 4 am over here. Enjoy!!

BlackPack

Medalist
I have a wish that may be a big, unrealistic wish: May the best skaters win with no judging controversy.