How good was Worlds this year?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How good was Worlds this year??

ice coverage

Record Breaker
By the way, I suspect Russia or Japan will still get 3 spots. Spain appears to only have Javi that qualifies the TES, and Misha remarked he is the only skater for UBZ, so there's 3 spare spots right there.

But that is not how the system works, AFAIK.

Spots that are unused by Spain and Uzbekhistan will not be given to other countries.

burntBREAD

Medalist
By the way, I suspect Russia or Japan will still get 3 spots. Spain appears to only have Javi that qualifies the TES, and Misha remarked he is the only skater for UBZ, so there's 3 spare spots right there.

I'm not sure if that's how it works, I think the countries just leave those spots open and nobody replaces them (like when Gedevanishvili qualified 2 spots for Georgia several times, they just never used a spot).

EDIT: Oops! Someone beat me to it.

Art&Sport

Medalist
But that's really too bad. Worlds spots should be offered in such cases to skaters who just missed making the World team from countries where there is great depth, and/or to high performing skaters on GP who don't make World team from their countries. Or else, offer to decent up-and-coming skaters who have the skills to compete in countries where further skating program development is needed.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
But that is not how the system works, AFAIK.

Spots that are unused by Spain and Uzbekhistan will not be given to other countries.

I guess we will see :p I reckon ISU will break its own rule in this case for Russia and Japan, if something is not already in motion already.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
But that's really too bad. Worlds spots should be offered in such cases to skaters who just missed making the World team from countries where there is great depth, and/or to high performing skaters on GP who don't make World team from their countries. Or else, offer to decent up-and-coming skaters who have the skills to compete in countries where further skating program development is needed.

I'd rather just see the minimum TES lowered a bit - I felt so bad for skaters like Javier Raya and Justus Strid who were doing a bunch of competitions in a row trying to qualify unsuccessfully. It certainly feels more like a "Worlds" when there are more countries represented.

As for the question posed by the thread...I'd call it a mixed bag. Maybe because some of my favorites could not deliver their best due to injury/illness, and the ice seemed to be poor quality. But there were many happy moments, too, and better performances by some skaters than I expected.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Yeah, the being cut-off after the sp sucks. I'm so glad Michael Christian Martinez made the cut. He has wonderful spins and a lot of flair even though he lacks technical consistency.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I guess we will see :p I reckon ISU will break its own rule in this case for Russia and Japan, if something is not already in motion already.

Would be a stupid and dangerous precedent.

The rule was not waived in 2014 when Russia had ONE slot in men's for its home Olympics.

So why would the ISU waive the rule now?

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Would be a stupid and dangerous precedent.

The rule was not waived in 2014 when Russia had ONE slot in men's for its home Olympics.

So why would the ISU waive the rule now?

Let's hope you are right.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Think of it this way. There will be two more skaters from smaller countries making the FS because there will be one less Russian and one less Japanese skater.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Think of it this way. There will be two more skaters from smaller countries making the FS because there will be one less Russian and one less Japanese skater.

OK! I like the way you think.

I was actually a bit bummed along those lines. If Japan and Russia not having three spots would have allowed more skaters in, I would have been more ok with it. But as it stands, it is more an issue of minimum TES than anything else, so I was expecting a smaller filed overall. But you put a wonderful spin on it! There is a silver lining. Not just the free skate, but later groups too. We could have a total wild card end up in the final flight!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Worlds was pretty great this year. A lot of unexpected results, and quite a few strong performances.

Normally post-Olympics Worlds is blah, and a cakewalk technically-speaking. But there were some excellent performances.

No clean skates from any of the winners, but still pretty strong ones.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Pretty bad and boring except the pair event which saved me greatly although I compromise myself with the fact that at least the winners in every discipline are correct. Three years after the Worlds 2012, I feel the World title of the men's event finally went to the rightful skater. I'm especially disappointed at the ladies event which used to be my favorite discipline, sigh. I didn't see any spectacular performance, fierceness or a hunger from the top contenders aiming for standing on the podium, especially in the free segment. I was happy with Liza's successful 3A, but other than that, what a lackluster event. The tech and judge panels for men, ladies and ice dance again didn't earn enough credibility to be trusted as well which is never new to the sport though, considering the utter fiasco in judging at the Sochi Olympics. I feel the media hype over the strength of Russian ladies and Japanese men's discipline should be reevaluated. Only each one skater in their respective squad showed a relatively strong performance in one segment, not both.

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
As the Eurosport commentator put it: "All of Elizaveta's competitors have never been on Worlds podium before. It is the perfect chance." ;) :slink:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Worlds sucked this year. Some of the most forgettable programs to date and almost nobody skated their best. :shrug:

Flaya

Match Penalty
I enjoyed them a lot, especially the clean free skates!

I am not sure how that would rank among other Worlds as I was able to spend much more time than usual watching this year's competition in details. It sure looked good for a post-Olympic season.

And many surprises and unexpected turns added some extra spice.

Some skaters surprised us both positively and negatively, notably Misha Ge/Kiira Korpi (although she was injured before).

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The crowd support was very good. I have never seen as many cuddly toys/flowers thrown on the ice, the flower girls and boys were working really hard all week. Are the skaters given everything thrown on the ice? Hanyu will need a separate plane to get all his presents home.

I suspect the flowers will be trashed. They would have been wilted by now. Stuffed animals are probably donated, I can't imagine any skater keeping more than 1-2 of their favorite stuffed animals.

Besides... can you imagine getting through customs? "Sir, please explain this absurd quantity of Pooh bears."