Team U.S.A Fan Page | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team U.S.A Fan Page

andromache

Record Breaker
Interesting discussion on TSL's twitter page regarding Max's selection. I understand wanting to give Max some international backing by including him even after three skaters outdid him at Nationals, but I wonder if it's the best political move for ALL of the top US men. It's an odd situation to be in when the solid #1 Jason doesn't have an almighty quad, Adam is hit or miss depending on the day and has a downgraded quad on top of it, Josh is overall the most well-rounded but also struggles with inconsistency, and Max sometimes has the jumps but is struggling with other aspects of his skating. USFSA doesn't know who to back!

It must be particularly worrying for Adam. Adam was US #2 at Nationals and US #2 at Worlds but is not getting sent to WTT. USFSA usually depends on Nationals for ranking their own skaters, and they still don't know what to do with the fact that Adam gave two stellar skates there but has yet to do as well internationally over the past season.

Not that I know much about politics and skating. Just what I read here about federations backing/not backing skaters and the speculation that ensues. ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Third thread I posted this in, but ..... yippee for Max:cheer2:and for those who wanted to see Max on this team.:biggrin: (not that I am unhappy; far from it, that Max is on.)

Go team USA!:party2:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Me too. I am mad they don't send Adam. He really deserves it. Max does nothing for me and did nothing for the 3 spots.

To be fair, by doing well at Worlds 2014, Max and Jeremy ensured that we had 3 spots for 2015, meaning that Jason, Josh and Adam were all able to compete this year.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Given this is a team event, I think Max and Jason make a very logical team to send. Max has what Jason is lacking. So we send out jumper, and our showman. I like it. We send one for TES one for PCS. We want them both to do well, and I think they compliment one another nicely.

I find the poor Adam a bit odd really. Many skaters don't even like WTT, Adam got 4CC and Worlds and did little with it other than try to land his 4Z. Would Adam have insisted on trying his damn 4Z at the team event? Because that in itself would be a good reason to leave him at home - not being a strategic team player. It is not uncommon for the pewter medalist to get some post assignments. This to me was a great way to support more skaters. I don't think it should be seen as having anything to do with Josh or Max, but just that they want to support Max as well. I fail to see how supporting 4 skaters is a bad idea. Frankly they should have given Max WTT at nationals to avoid the squawking.

IleK

On the Ice
To be fair, by doing well at Worlds 2014, Max and Jeremy ensured that we had 3 spots for 2015, meaning that Jason, Josh and Adam were all able to compete this year.

Yes, and Max and Jeremy went to WTT last year. So why isn/t Adam going this year? I was talking about the present, not the past. Max is a nice person, I just don't like his style.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yes, and Max and Jeremy went to WTT last year. So why isn/t Adam going this year? I was talking about the present, not the past. Max is a nice person, I just don't like his style.

No they did not. WTT has not been held since 2013. It is every other year.

Not "getting" someone's style is not even remotely valid criteria for them to not get an assignment.

gmyers

Record Breaker
This behavior of usfs toward max aaron is grotesque! You treat him garbage at us nationals then give him wtt?

Tavi...

Record Breaker

My point was that if Max had not done well at a Worlds last year, it might not have been possible for Adam to go to Worlds this year - USFS would have had to choose between Adam and Josh, and it's not a foregone conclusion that they would have chosen Adam.

caitie

Medalist
I find the poor Adam a bit odd really. Many skaters don't even like WTT, Adam got 4CC and Worlds and did little with it other than try to land his 4Z. Would Adam have insisted on trying his damn 4Z at the team event? Because that in itself would be a good reason to leave him at home - not being a strategic team player.

Adam helped the US men keep three spots, and he expressed a desire to be assigned WTT in one of his interviews. WTT has a lot of money attached to it, so it definitely sucks for him that he wasn't picked. I'm happy for Max, but I am a little sad for Adam.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Adam helped the US men keep three spots, and he expressed a desire to be assigned WTT in one of his interviews. WTT has a lot of money attached to it, so it definitely sucks for him that he wasn't picked. I'm happy for Max, but I am a little sad for Adam.

I said little, not nothing. Had he not been so stubborn about the 4Z he could have placed higher. I give him little credit for the three spots as I don't think that was a factor in his plans leading up to worlds.

Some skaters do make three spots a goal (Jason and Max have said specifically they go for that). Jeremy Abbot on the other hand has said it is not a factor for him or a goal.

Basically I see Adam as having passed the minimum rather than doing anything impressive. I don't know how much I think skaters should be rewarded for meeting a goal that they never went on record that they cared about.

noskates

Record Breaker
This behavior of usfs toward max aaron is grotesque! You treat him garbage at us nationals then give him wtt?

How was Max treated like garbage at US Nats? That's a pretty broad statement to make.

Florencito

Medalist
Quite a meh team. I like only Jason and Wagner, although to a lesser extent.

EDIT: Ops, didn't realize it was a FAN page. Sorry!

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I get the 'feel bad for Adam' opinions that are being expressed and I love Adams skating. However I think Adam may not be the best competitor. I see him doing shows and becoming a choreographer. He said in an interview ( I am not sure if it was TSL or not, I can try and find it if someone wants to hear it) but he said that last season he looked at Raphael and said something to the effect of "I'm not sure I like competing" and Raphael replied " you better figure that out".
This is a sport, above all it is a competitive sport. To be a competitor you have to go out onto the ice with fire and confidence. When Ashley was skating her LP at Nationals, Tara said " if you want to win Nationals, worlds and the Olympics, this is how you have to compete" (I can't believe I am typing this), but I agree with Tara, and Tara did win all 3 major competitions.
Adam had some fire in his LP @ Nationals, but where did it go? All skaters say they are petrified when they step out onto the ice and are staring down a four minute LP. Some skaters have a way of pushing and have the mental toughness it takes to land on international podiums.
I'm not sure Adam is one of those skaters.

kwanette

Final Flight
My point was that if Max had not done well at a Worlds last year, it might not have been possible for Adam to go to Worlds this year - USFS would have had to choose between Adam and Josh, and it's not a foregone conclusion that they would have chosen Adam.

There was no way that USFS would or could have denied Adam a spot on the Worlds team after his Nationals performance. Max and Jeremy earned three spots. Josh was the beneficiary of that.