2015 World Team Trophy Pairs SP Apr 17 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Pairs SP Apr 17

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
The judges actually got it right? :shocked:

...and that makes S/H the first team all season to beat D/R, in any segment. That's right, S/H--not S/K, not K/S, not P/T. :biggrin: To think people dismissed them after 4CC for an invalidated spin...

Why so surprised?

It was kinda clear they couldn't lead with such a big mistake when another top pair went clean.

This also marks the first flawed SP this season for D\R ;)

People dismissed Sui\Han because of one spin? Sounds kinda stupid they were great at 4cc

Last edited:

skatemouse

On the Ice
UGH FINALLY WORKING. Just in time for some sweet sweet zamboni action.

I missed it too the whole pairs sp event:( I am surprised that S/K are in the mix more in scores it is not bad :) That is good for them for next year!! One more program then back to work. YEA USA is still in Gold position too!!!

auser

Record Breaker
No need to feel embarassed.

I wear glasses myself, so when I saw photos of Caro and Kovtun wearing glasses at Europeans in 2014, I pounced. And then somebody else started an actual thread on the topic.

My post in that thread has links to the earlier discussions.

From the answers then, it seems some wear contacts, and some don't.

Speaking on a personal note, I am too squeemish to wear contacts. But, my sight is so bad that I couldn't go without. So, I just wear my glasses all the time.

But, I'm not a skater! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you for the links :cool:. And thank you to ruffledgrouse too for the interesting Jason info :cool:. I know many guys who don't wear contact lenses because they don't like the idea of having to stick something into their eyes. They all seem to find glasses that give them a distinguished look, so it works for them ;). For skaters I can't imagine having to do the amount of fast rotational movement they need to do with glasses bashing around on their faces.:laugh:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Why so surprised?

It was kinda clear they couldn't lead with such a big mistake when another top pair went clean.

This also marks the first flawed SP this season for D\R ;)

People dismissed Sui\Han because of one spin? Sounds kinda stupid they were great at 4cc
D/R weren't clean at Worlds LP either, and were actually out-TES'ed by S/H. They still won the segment based on PCS. I tend to think pessimistically so I wouldn't be disappointed (of course, sometimes I still end up disappointed--see, S/H's 4th place at 4CC).

And yes, there was a comment about S/H being "done" after 4CC, China doesn't need them now that they have P/Z, Y/J, W/W who can do big tricks along with more PCS/artistic potential/whatever. :laugh:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
D/R weren't clean at Worlds LP either, and were actually out-TES'ed by S/H. They still won the segment based on PCS. I tend to think pessimistically so I wouldn't be disappointed (of course, sometimes I still end up disappointed--see, S/H's 4th place at 4CC).

And yes, there was a comment about S/H being "done" after 4CC, China doesn't need them now that they have P/Z, Y/J, W/W who can do big tricks along with more PCS/artistic potential/whatever. :laugh:

D\R weren't clean in ANY long program this season,

I was talking about short.

Anyone who might've made a comment about Sui\Han being "done" because of one spin is delusional,
You shouldn't take it so much to heart ;)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
OMG S/H!!! so happy for them! & yay someone beating D/R!! doubly happy:cheer:

Finally made me able to concentrate on smth besides fangirling over Moskvina and Mishin!:love::love:
not a 100% perf by K/S sadly but ugh again Im ditracted by Sasha's hot beard!

Last edited:

Caustica

Final Flight
YAY S/H!!! :) Your SP is maaaarvellous!

And yay for Mishin cheering in K&C! We probably won't see him tomorrow because he'll be prepping Liza :( But it was great!

Something else I noticed: when the Japanese announcer is announcing the people's names, she says the Japanese skaters' names in the Japanese way (last name then first name), but with Yuko's, she pronounes it... the way Russian names are transliterated into Japanese. Not only does she say first name then last name, but she pronounces Yuko's last name as Kavaguti instead of Kawaguchi, which is the Japanese version. I just found this kind of strange, since Yuko not only has a Japanese name, but grew up in Japan as well. :shrug:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
YAY S/H!!! :) Your SP is maaaarvellous! And yay for Mishin cheering in K&C! We probably won't see him tomorrow because he'll be prepping Liza :( But it was great! Something else I noticed: when the Japanese announcer is announcing the people's names, she says the Japanese skaters' names in the Japanese way (last name then first name), but with Yuko's, she pronounes it... the way Russian names are transliterated into Japanese. Not only does she say first name then last name, but she pronounces Yuko's last name as Kavaguti instead of Kawaguchi, which is the Japanese version. I just found this kind of strange, since Yuko not only has a Japanese name, but grew up in Japan as well. :shrug:

I believe Yuko legally changed her name to Kavaguti

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
YAY S/H!!! :) Your SP is maaaarvellous!

And yay for Mishin cheering in K&C! We probably won't see him tomorrow because he'll be prepping Liza :( But it was great!

Something else I noticed: when the Japanese announcer is announcing the people's names, she says the Japanese skaters' names in the Japanese way (last name then first name), but with Yuko's, she pronounes it... the way Russian names are transliterated into Japanese. Not only does she say first name then last name, but she pronounces Yuko's last name as Kavaguti instead of Kawaguchi, which is the Japanese version. I just found this kind of strange, since Yuko not only has a Japanese name, but grew up in Japan as well. :shrug:

Just to clarify a wee thing that people reading your comment may get confused about. Yuko didn't just grow up in Japan. She is pure Japanese.

The reason Yuko is now representing Russia is that she was determined to work with Tamara Moskvina. Unsurprisingly, this led to her tending to have Russian partners. And so that she could compete at the Olympics, Yuko got Russian citizenship, as it is next to impossible for foreigners to get Japanese citizenship.

Whenever we have Japanese competitions, I normally specifically listen out for how they pronounce Yuko's surname. Whether they do it the proper Japanese way (Kawaguchi) or the Russified way (Kavaguti).

But I forgot to this week!!! :bang:

...apart from one time. :biggrin:

And that one time confused me. Because, it seemed to be a half-way house. But it wasn't the normal half-way house we would sometimes hear ("Kavaguchi"). This time, it was the other way around ("Kawaguti")

You know, it really winds me up when somebody is transliterating something from one alphabet into another. And they come across a foreign word that has had to be transliterated into that alphabet. And rather than go and look up how the word was written in its original alphabet, and how it should be transliterated, they just carry on like a robot.

So, in this case, 川口 悠子 (Japanese) becomes Юко Кавагути (Cyrillic), which becomes Yuko Kavaguti (Latin), when it should actually be Yuko Kawaguchi.

Have you seen how mangled Jonathan Guerreiro's name comes out when it is transliterated from Latin characters to Cyrillic characters, and then back to Latin?!

Jonathan Guerreiro (Latin) becomes Джонатан Гурейро (Cyrillic), which becomes Dzhonatan Gureyro (Latin)!!!

Says everything, doesn't it!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Caustica

Final Flight
Just to clarify a wee thing that people reading your comment may get confused about. Yuko didn't just grow up in Japan. She is pure Japanese.

The reason Yuko is now representing Russia is that she was determined to work with Tamara Moskvina. Unsurprisingly, this led to her tending to have Russian partners. And so that she could compete at the Olympics, Yuko got Russian citizenship, as it is next to impossible for foreigners to get Japanese citizenship.

Whenever we have Japanese competitions, I normally specifically listen out for how they pronounce Yuko's surname. Whether they do it the proper Japanese way (Kawaguchi) or the Russified way (Kavaguti).

But I forgot to this week!!! :bang:

...apart from one time. :biggrin:

And that one time confused me. Because, it seemed to be a half-way house. But it wasn't the normal half-way house we would sometimes hear ("Kavaguchi"). This time, it was the other way around ("Kawaguti")

You know, it really winds me up when somebody is transliterating something from one alphabet into another. And they come across a foreign word that has had to be transliterated into that alphabet. And rather than go and look up how the word was written in its original alphabet, and how it should be transliterated, they just carry on like a robot.

So, in this case, 川口 悠子 (Japanese) becomes Юко Кавагути (Cyrillic), which becomes Yuko Kavaguti (Latin), when it should actually be Yuko Kawaguchi.

Have you seen how mangled Jonathan Guerreiro's name comes out when it is transliterated from Latin characters to Cyrillic characters, and then back to Latin?!

Jonathan Guerreiro (Latin) becomes Джонатан Гурейро (Cyrillic), which becomes Dzhonatan Gureyro (Latin)!!!

Says everything, doesn't it!

CaroLiza_fan

Yeah, I am familiar with Yuko's background (by which I mean, I've read her wikipedia :laugh:). I've never paid attention to how Yuko's name was pronounced before, either by English or by Japnaese commentators. This time I heard 'Kavaguchi' in English. I can't remember which sounds I heard in Japanese, but the first name was definitely before the last name. Which means her name is being treated as though it were a foreign name. Which just... puzzles me. I'm guessing it's a guideline: if the person is representing a foreign country, pronounce their name in a foreign way. It would be interesting to see if there are any exceptions.

Also I wonder how Yuko feels about this. Being in Japan and having her name pronounced in a foreign way. :shrug:

An interesting fact: Chinese commentators pronounce Japanese names by taking the kanji and saying them in Chinese. So nobody else (apart from Chinese people) can understand who they are referring to, when they talk about Japanese skaters, because it sounds completely different. Kind of strange how Japanese names aren't given the usual foreign treatment which is to find Chinese characters that sound similar to how the name sounds in the original language. This way is easier I guess, but kind of 'mangles' their actual names completely.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yeah, I am familiar with Yuko's background (by which I mean, I've read her wikipedia :laugh:). I've never paid attention to how Yuko's name was pronounced before, either by English or by Japnaese commentators. This time I heard 'Kavaguchi' in English. I can't remember which sounds I heard in Japanese, but the first name was definitely before the last name. Which means her name is being treated as though it were a foreign name. Which just... puzzles me. I'm guessing it's a guideline: if the person is representing a foreign country, pronounce their name in a foreign way. It would be interesting to see if there are any exceptions.

Also I wonder how Yuko feels about this. Being in Japan and having her name pronounced in a foreign way. :shrug:

An interesting fact: Chinese commentators pronounce Japanese names by taking the kanji and saying them in Chinese. So nobody else (apart from Chinese people) can understand who they are referring to, when they talk about Japanese skaters, because it sounds completely different. Kind of strange how Japanese names aren't given the usual foreign treatment which is to find Chinese characters that sound similar to how the name sounds in the original language. This way is easier I guess, but kind of 'mangles' their actual names completely.

:eek:: OK, so you caught me with sumarising Wikipedia. Well, I knew she had a Russian partner before Sasha, but I couldn't remember his name! So, I went onto Wikipedia to find out, and discovered that Tamara was actually the original link to Russia, which I hadn't realised before. And that was why I did that summary, in case other people didn't realise.

That's a very good point you make! I hadn't actually noticed the order they said her name in. (As I said, I had forgotten to specifically listen out this competition).

Mmmm. That must be very hurtful for Yuko, for her own people to be treating her like a foreigner.

I don't know whether there are specific guidelines. But, if I were a Japanese announcer and I saw a Japanese name, I wouldn't care about guidelines: I would say it the Japanese way! Whether it was somebody who was born in Japan (like Yuko), or born overseas (like Mirai Nagasu or Shotaro Omori), it wouldn't matter.

But, I've got into trouble before for saying that foreigners with Irish names should be pronounced the Irish way, and foreigners with Italian names should be pronounced the Italian way, and foreigners with German names should be pronounced the German way...

So, I think I'll beat a hasty retreat... :slink: ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
I recall seeing somewhere that she had to give up her japanese citizenship in order to get the russian one...
Is that true?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
So happy for Siu/Han. I think since Hongbo Zhao became their coach, they showed significant improvement in their jumps and overall skating quality. Hope they keep on improving.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
There must be something wrong with me, because I heard Kawaguchi. :slink: (During the opening ceremony, at least...?)

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I recall seeing somewhere that she had to give up her japanese citizenship in order to get the russian one...
Is that true?

It's true since Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. People who have one Japanese parent and the other one from another country(or are born in another country that grants them citizenship by birth) can hold dual citizenship until they turn 22, then they have to choose one with no coming back (the Reeds). Mirai Nagasu was in this situation, since she just turned 22.
So Yuko had to give up her citizenship in order to acquire another one.
I still don't understand one thing: why did Kawaguchi become KavaguTi? In Russian Ч = ch, is that right?

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
It's true since Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. People who have one Japanese parent and the other one from another country(or are born in another country that grants them citizenship by birth) can hold dual citizenship until they turn 22, then they have to choose one with no coming back (the Reeds). Mirai Nagasu was in this situation, since she just turned 22.
So Yuko had to give up her citizenship in order to acquire another one.
Silly question: why did Kawaguchi become Kavaguti? In Russian Ч = ch is that right?

There is an "official" way to transliterate japanese, which is "ch" -> t in russian, and then i guess its transliterated back to english as t
But in general, the official transliterations can be rather chaotic, depending on where the person gets the documents, etc, sometimes even ridiculous (like members of the same family having their last name transliterated in different ways)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
had seen the protocols but not the video... thought Eric doubled since he's been so ill... sad Meaghan did but here's the deal guys ;) :) hopefully all the haters will give them credits when they do land their tricks next time. They take risks and push the sport, and they could definitely just play it safe... especially here, at WTT, after Eric has been ill... they could have easily gone for a 3T right?
Kuddos to them for sticking to the SBS Lz... eventhough it didn't work out. And i'd rather have them miss something here than when it really counts ;)

this being said, congrats to S/H.

andromache

Record Breaker
Congrats to S/H! Despite their minimal height difference, I'm expecting them to rise through the quad and be a pair to beat by 2018. They have the "total package" for me.

That said, it's weird to see comments celebrating that D/R were beat. In all disciplines of figure skating, celebrating results should have nothing to do with who underperformed on a certain night, but who did the best. I hate seeing comments about how great it is that "X did better than Y because I don't like Y coming in first." Celebrate a competitor's accomplishments without demeaning anyone else!

skatemouse

On the Ice
Congrats to S/H! Despite their minimal height difference, I'm expecting them to rise through the quad and be a pair to beat by 2018. They have the "total package" for me.

That said, it's weird to see comments celebrating that D/R were beat. In all disciplines of figure skating, celebrating results should have nothing to do with who underperformed on a certain night, but who did the best. I hate seeing comments about how great it is that "X did better than Y because I don't like Y coming in first." Celebrate a competitor's accomplishments without demeaning anyone else!

I really like S/H they have always had a nice performance quality. I am hoping she does not grow anymore at all I understand that is why the throw quad stopped as growth needed to be figured out. I think their close height difference is and can be an advantage and disadvantage. It will be good to take time now and see what works best for them! I like them though they are a fun team to watch. I like D/R too they bring something else to the table. I think you can have teams you like as favs I like S/K-USA always have. I think they are finally starting to express more and if they stay together it is going to be very cool to see what they offer to USA pairs and their career. With the injury they have only really been training two years that is not enough time. So by 2017 I expect if they are injury free to really start bringing more emotion not just technical to the table. It is so exciting as I love this discipline. YOu make an excellent point. You don't have to like everyone and it is fine to have favorites but to hope someone looses because you don't like their style of skating is just bad form. Well said!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Yuko & Sasha was :love:, mistake on SBS aside. Sui & Han, wow! Now they skate BIG with such confidence and conviction! :yes: Morgan has improved so much of his skating skills this season, anyone agrees? :clap: But the one who won me over at this pair sp was Mr Mishin in KdC! :laugh:

Last edited: