More skaters on DWTS? | Golden Skate

More skaters on DWTS?

heyang

Record Breaker
Just my speculation....

I was re-watching this week's DWTS because my boss and his wife got tickets to the taping and he sent a screen cap of the 2 of them since they were sitting behind Lea Thompson (you can see him with his red tie behind Lea as they are applauding Michael Sam's Rumba).

So, I'm continuing to scan and I spot Alex and Maia Shibutani and Gracie Gold in the audience at the 39 minute mark just after the Disney kid Riker got his scores.

Skaters are proven champs on DWTS - Kristi, Apolo and Meryl! Who would you like to see compete on DWTS?

Editing to add that you can also see the Shibutani's at the 56 minute mark when Bachelor Chris kisses his fiancée(?)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... So, I'm continuing to scan and I spot Alex and Maia Shibutani and Gracie Gold in the audience at the 39 minute mark just after the Disney kid Riker got his scores.

Skaters are proven champs on DWTS - Kristi, Apolo and Meryl! Who would you like to see compete on DWTS?

Maia, Alex, and Gracie are friendly with Nastia Liukin. Per their social media earlier this week, the skaters were supporting Nastia.

I agree that it is plausible that more skaters will compete in future seasons of DWTS -- but not any more plausible because Maia/Alex/Gracie were there that night.

Living locally in SoCal, Gracie has attended DWTS more than once in the past.
The Shibs were in town to get choreo :).

KKonas

Medalist
To date the only figure skaters to appear on DWTS have been Olympic gold medalists, Kristi, Evan and Davis & White, so it is likely we would have to wait until 2018 and only then if an American wins gold.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it wouldn't fly, most likely, but I'd love to see Kurt Browning tackle a dancing competition

Interspectator

Record Breaker
In my wildest dreams, Daisuke Takahashi appears on Dancing with the Stars and dances with Meryl Davis.
He is a big Meryl fan.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see Sasha Cohen compete. :love: :love:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
To date the only figure skaters to appear on DWTS have been Olympic gold medalists, Kristi, Evan and Davis & White, so it is likely we would have to wait until 2018 and only then if an American wins gold.

Take #2 of my answer:

DTWS cast Dorothy Hamill as well. Kristi and she competed on DWTS as non-reigning Olympic champs.

So .... Boitano? Lipinski? etc. are not unthinkable.

From her judging on SYTYCD, we know that Lipinski likes dance competition shows :).

ETA: Not sure, but occurs to me that I think that Weir has said that DWTS asked him to compete, but he declined?? A departure from the OGM pattern, if true.​

it wouldn't fly, most likely, but I'd love to see Kurt Browning tackle a dancing competition

Toni, why wouldn't it fly with Browning??

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So would I! :love:

he and Sonia both tweet about DWTS from time to time... I think he'd be a great fit!

Toni, why wouldn't it fly with Browning??

I would think they would see him as "just" a Canadian skater. He doesn't have an Olympic medal... so an American network show may not think he's a good fit. Just my thoughts as to why they wouldn't. He WAS on their staff when they still owned the rights to the skating competition coverage.

Last edited:

mintx

On the Ice
Brian Boitano would be a great fit. OGM with continued presence on TV. He is just as famous as many people on the show.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Take #2 of my answer:

DTWS cast Dorothy Hamill as well. Kristi and she competed on DWTS as non-reigning Olympic champs.

So .... Boitano? Lipinski? etc. are not unthinkable.

Orrrrrr...they can hire Tara and Johnny as DWTS commentators ;) Or, they can have Johnny compete...imagine the costumes! :laugh2:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would think, being biased, that when they have skaters on, the ratings might indeed go up a bit.....I think they should do one whole season with nothing BUT skaters paired with the pros....but who am I?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Jason would be a great fit for DWTS - especially with his bright, sunny personality.

I would be more interested to see how someone like Max would do on the show, though. Someone who is a little less of the "natural" dancer, but with the work ethic to make it happen, and the charming attitude to make the audience vote for him.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice

You forgot Dorothy Hamill but she too is an Olympic Gold Medalist. I bet Michelle Kwan could do well even without the OGM. Wagner is a lightening rod but she has a lot of personality and I think she would get votes too.