Ghetto team Russia! :agree:

I want that headgear... :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Mmmm. Interesting that, of the skaters in shot, Voronov and Knierim were the only ones wearing headwear that took it off for the National Anthem.

None of the other Russian skaters did.

Methinks they need to be reminded of protocols...

CaroLiza_fan

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Mmmm. Interesting that, of the skaters in shot, Voronov and Knierim were the only ones wearing headwear that took it off for the National Anthem.

None of the other Russian skaters did.

Methinks they need to be reminded of protocols...

CaroLiza_fan

There are protocols for such things at sports events? :shocked:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There are protocols for such things at sports events? :shocked:

Well, I don't know if there is anything actually written in the official rules. But, by "social protocols", people would expect them to do so.

Apart from anything else, it is a means of showing respect for the host country for having you there.

And I am talking from personal experience. I got a right rollicking one time at a motorbike race for forgetting to take off my hat during the National Anthem at the start of the meeting (I had simply forgotten I was wearing it!)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Well, I don't know if there is anything actually written in the official rules. But, by "social protocols", people would expect them to do so.

Apart from anything else, it is a means of showing respect for the host country for having you there.

And I am talking from personal experience. I got a right rollicking one time at a motorbike race for forgetting to take off my hat during the National Anthem at the start of the meeting (I had simply forgotten I was wearing it!)

CaroLiza_fan

Well, 2 years ago seeing a guy in a hat indoors used to drive me crazy. A year ago during the Olympics broadcast I was really upset when most athletes left their hats on during medal ceremonies. Now I just do not care - the norms had changed greatly and the younger generation does not care about that tradition (which dates back to kings and queens and knights). Plus, norms are different in different countries. Who am I to judge them all? :shrug:

But seeing a guy in a cap or hat at home or in class still drives me slightly crazy. :slink:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean like, why aren't you saying it about girls as? Like I like to wear beanies at hockey games or inside in general. Though I agree that during anthems and ceremonies, it should be taken off. But other than that, if you like wearing hats, why should someone make you take it off? Now if it's HUGE, OBNOXIOUS, and IS IN THE WAY of people's viewing, then we have a problem.

Like what's wrong with wearing a cool multi-color beanie inside? I like my outfit to look cool and sometimes that means, I want to wear a lollipop-colored beanie.

girlwithabird

Rinkside
I mean like, why aren't you saying it about girls as? Like I like to wear beanies at hockey games or inside in general. Though I agree that during anthems and ceremonies, it should be taken off. But other than that, if you like wearing hats, why should someone make you take it off? Now if it's HUGE, OBNOXIOUS, and IS IN THE WAY of people's viewing, then we have a problem.

Like what's wrong with wearing a cool multi-color beanie inside? I like my outfit to look cool and sometimes that means, I want to wear a lollipop-colored beanie.

i thought the subject of discussion was restricted to taking hats off during national anthems.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Will someone be uploading the opening ceremony?

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight

Once again - norms are different in different countries! So in most cases i just stick to whatever tradition the host country has ;) But the way I was brought - guys can have hats on indoors only if the hat is associated with religion. All the other variants - a strict no. This does not apply to girls though wearing fancy hats. But a beanie must be taken off. Although, for girls it's a kind of optional.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once again - norms are different in different countries! So in most cases i just stick to whatever tradition the host country has ;) But the way I was brought - guys can have hats on indoors only if the hat is associated with religion. All the other variants - a strict no. This does not apply to girls though wearing fancy hats. But a beanie must be taken off. Although, for girls it's a kind of optional.

I know :hijacked: but why should it be different for guys? (Sorry, I'm a person that wants equality).