Live Reports for 2015 ISU WTT | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Live Reports for 2015 ISU WTT

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you Newbiespectater for excellent report and useful advice for me:bow:

I’ll check the forecast before I leave home. And for the ladies room, I've been avoiding water to dry me up for tomorrow:biggrin:, because I had same experience as you when I went there in Jan for “Stars on Ice”.
I hope I will be able survive four hours in the stadium tomorrow, and send some report for you; however, please don’t expect me too much, because my English and knowledge are not as good as yours, and also my memory is getting shorter these days:cry:. Anyway I will try my best!
I'd love to hear anything at all from the stadium. Even if its short. I hope you have fun!

mikaboo

Medalist
Thanks for your report Newbiespectator! I'll try to gather my thoughts from watching today's events although I have a short-term memory and everything might disappear by tomorrow.

Sorry for kind of personal question; how cold was the arena? did you need heavy coat or something like that?
I suppose you are somewhere from Tohoku-region, so I can trust your sensitivity to temperature, because I am also from Tohoku.
I am going to be there tomorrow, but I don't trust what Tokyo people says about temperature:biggrin:.

lady_bee, just a quick note to tell you that I went today dressed very lightly (uniqlo heat-tech shirt, long sleeved shirt, light jacket, cotton pants, and I sat far away from the ice rink (cheap seats) but it did get a bit chilly in the evening so my lap blanket came in handy. If you're the type to get really excited, you might not need it. Other than clapping my hands, I sit pretty still like a stone. But I live in Tokyo so don't trust me :biggrin:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks for your report Newbiespectator! I'll try to gather my thoughts from watching today's events although I have a short-term memory and everything might disappear by tomorrow.

lady_bee, just a quick note to tell you that I went today dressed very lightly (uniqlo heat-tech shirt, long sleeved shirt, light jacket, cotton pants, and I sat far away from the ice rink (cheap seats) but it did get a bit chilly in the evening so my lap blanket came in handy. If you're the type to get really excited, you might not need it. Other than clapping my hands, I sit pretty still like a stone. But I live in Tokyo so don't trust me :biggrin:

I look forward to your report.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you, Newbiespectator, for the reports! Some of my rambling comments (on your comments :p) on the ladies:

Interesting what you say about the first warm-up group--how they seemed to skate at a similar speed. I always got the impression than Alaine Chartrand and especially Gabby Daleman were really fast--as fast or faster than anyone in the final group. Is that not the case? :think:

On Ashley: Don't worry, no fruit-throwing from me. I love her and I kinda dig the 6.0 vibe of the program, but I understand what you're saying. Especially if you're sitting opposite the judges. She has transitions into both her difficult jumps (3Lz-3T, 3F), but for some reason, there are other parts where she easily could've done something and just didn't. I know she and Adam are BFFs, but maybe she should reconsider a choreographer next year. :laugh: I have a feeling it would work when 100% clean, but sadly this never happened. Well, at least she looked fast--I prefer fast and simple over complex and crawling.

Hopefully she'll nail the free--I'll be curious to read your thoughts on it. :) (Also, I will be seeing Ashley at Stars on Ice this year--maybe I'll have more coherent/intelligent thoughts afterward).

Your thoughts on Gracie, Liza, and Elena seem pretty in line with what I observed on the screen (I like Liza's program, but that's just personal taste). On Satoko: If you're referring to me in the "much debated speed and ice-coverage" line--I wasn't debating that. :) I can see they're good. I just think Gracie has even better SS because she's smoother and seems to gain the speed more effortlessly (though I think Gracie is weaker in other aspects of PCS... but that's another topic). Plus, I'm not so sure that Satoko's SS are a lot better than everyone else (though I guess they were markedly better than Elena's?)

I'm curious: Do you agree with Satoko's PCS being 3 points better than Zijun's? To me, it looked like Zijun made smaller errors, had better quality on the elements, and should've been ahead, but perhaps there's a difference seeing them live.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you, Newbiespectator, for the reports! Some of my rambling comments (on your comments :p) on the ladies:

Interesting what you say about the first warm-up group--how they seemed to skate at a similar speed. I always got the impression than Alaine Chartrand and especially Gabby Daleman were really fast--as fast or faster than anyone in the final group. Is that not the case? :think:

On Ashley: Don't worry, no fruit-throwing from me. I love her and I kinda dig the 6.0 vibe of the program, but I understand what you're saying. Especially if you're sitting opposite the judges. She has transitions into both her difficult jumps (3Lz-3T, 3F), but for some reason, there are other parts where she easily could've done something and just didn't. I know she and Adam are BFFs, but maybe she should reconsider a choreographer next year. :laugh: I have a feeling it would work when 100% clean, but sadly this never happened. Well, at least she looked fast--I prefer fast and simple over complex and crawling.

Hopefully she'll nail the free--I'll be curious to read your thoughts on it. :) (Also, I will be seeing Ashley at Stars on Ice this year--maybe I'll have more coherent/intelligent thoughts afterward).

Your thoughts on Gracie, Liza, and Elena seem pretty in line with what I observed on the screen (I like Liza's program, but that's just personal taste). On Satoko: If you're referring to me in the "much debated speed and ice-coverage" line--I wasn't debating that. :) I can see they're good. I just think Gracie has even better SS because she's smoother and seems to gain the speed more effortlessly (though I think Gracie is weaker in other aspects of PCS... but that's another topic). Plus, I'm not so sure that Satoko's SS are a lot better than everyone else (though I guess they were markedly better than Elena's?)

I'm curious: Do you agree with Satoko's PCS being 3 points better than Zijun's? To me, it looked like Zijun made smaller errors, had better quality on the elements, and should've been ahead, but perhaps there's a difference seeing them
live.

Starting with Alaine and Gabby...I was actually expecting more from them. They have great presence on TV so the fact that they kind of faded into the back of my mind after their performance was puzzling.
They didn't seem particularly fast in their short programs. But it could be that they were not feeling their best.

As for Satoko and Gracie's SS, they are both good in different ways I guess. It's difficult for me to compare them. Like Han Yan's SS and Yuzu's SS. Since the style of their skating is so different.

As for PCS difference, I is probably due to non PCS related things like consistency, skating in the first half, not being a world medalist. All of which is frustrating, but it is the way things are done these days. I'd put their PCS at about the same level. But I'd also put Radionova's PCS and Elizaveta's PCS on the same level as Satoko's too. (ducking more Cyber Fruit being thrown this way)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oh, and I'm only going to watch the LP for the ladies on TV, like you. I was only able to get the ticket for the 16th.

lady_bee

Medalist

Thank you Mikaboo!
I arrived in Tokyo 30min ago with bracket and 2warmers(hokkairo), so it wil be Ok. Weather in April is very hard to predict.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Oh, and I'm only going to watch the LP for the ladies on TV, like you. I was only able to get the ticket for the 16th.

Unfortunately, most of us won't be watching on TV (unless you are casting an internet stream to your TV)... not many networks are airing WTT. So even in Japan, you still have a better view than most of us even without a ticket... ;)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, most of us won't be watching on TV (unless you are casting an internet stream to your TV)... not many networks are airing WTT. So even in Japan, you still have a better view than most of us even without a ticket... ;)

I do wish that WTT would be picked up by Eurosport some day.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do too. On the whole, it is a fun competition. I like the spectacle of the cheesy KnC cheering. I like what the pressure of having to perform for the team brings out of the skaters, although it seems to crush others, making results unexpected. Some of the best performances that skaters had this year occurred at WTT.

Gracie had her best ever SP.
Jason had his best ever SP & FS
Satoko had a season best FS
Yuzu's FS was his best skated FS of the season, and so forth.
And I loved Elizaveta's FS :love: with the absolutely gorgeous triple axel.
It was great to get a sneak peek of Max Aaron's new programs!
Such a lot to love about WTT.

I would hate to have missed any of these performances totally, but it would have been better on TV, especially Eurosport.

yuki

Final Flight
I do wish that WTT would be picked up by Eurosport some day.

I hope not. Since they didn't pick it up this year, I got to watch the official ISU stream, which worked like a charm. Based on how they covered 4CC this year, Eurosport would have probably made a mess of it.
(I live in Europe and coverage of competitions from Asia is generally terrible because of the time difference, but still...)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you so much Newbiespecator for your detailed and vivid reports! I felt like I was sitting right next to you and your sister
in the arena! :clap:

lady_bee

Medalist
Hi, I am back from Tokyo,
I’ve just jot down my impression about the competition on 18th Apr, pair and ladies, before I forget.

Better than I expected;
- Satoko : why not? She looked much bigger on Ice!
- Ashley : Diva:love: I couldn’t see her “facial expression”, but her body was talking.
- S/C : Not my favorite team, but I was impressed.

Good as I expected
- Liza : she was not perfect, but that 3A:bow: was good enough for me.
- Elena : She wasn’t really on, but still good as I expected.
- Sui/Han : I love Sui’s determination, and they are so fast!

Disappointed because they are “off;”
- Mae : She was still standing out during 6 min warmup, but..:cry:
- Gracy: Still she was so fast and flawless, I could see why her PCS is always so high.
- K/S : not perfect, still beautiful to watch. As they are my favorite, I can’t make fair judgement.

Just disappointed;
- Team Japan’s K/C : I think you know why. They should employ Nobu as a cheer leader!

Most eye pleasant;
- K/C of Team France : variety of beauties:love:
-

Something surprised me;
- Elena & Gracie : they are so tall!
- Meagan : She is tiny, but looked bigger on ice, even bigger than Han, for my eyes.

Something only I could see;
- At the medal ceremony, Madison was wearing boots with 5-7cm heels, while everyone else was wearing training shoes. That makes me wonder if she is cheating her heights.

I hope I can write more lately, but I am not sure.
Anything you want to know?

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
I went to my first live competition on the 17th ! I hadn't planned on going at all until on the day because I found out tickets on the 1st day weren't sold out after all. I tried my luck and dropped by Yoyogi Stadium to see if they had anything left and I was given 2 choices.
Crappy 2nd floor seats where you can't see the K&C nor the screen for 3000 yen.
Seats for the media where it might be noisy because of the sound of shutters for 15000 yen.
I took the 3000 yen because I'm poor and I would have been happy just to feel the atmosphere. It turned out that the view from the cheap seats weren't as bad as I thought and I had my binoculars with me so that helped.
Here are my impressions from what I vaguely remember about the day.

Pairs SP - I usually do not watch Pairs and don't know the rules
I was too late to see the first group for pairs so I missed out on seeing the TJ junior babies, Vanessa/Morgan and Yuko/Sasha. I did see the 2nd group and thought Sui/Han were very good, but everything has become a blur now because of ice dance and men's FS that followed. I think for pairs, I have to watch them really close up or on TV to appreciate their difficult elements.

Ice Dance FD - I usually only watch the last group of Ice Dance and don't know the rules
All I know about Ice Dance is that I love Weaver/Poje and Papadakis/Cizeron's FS this season. And they didn't disappoint! Twizzles give me chills and Weaver/Poje made me teary. I liked Chock/Bates also. Too bad about the fall.

Men's FS - I really liked all of them. I'm so easy to please.
1st Group - I was feeling slightly sick during the 1st group so I lost concentration here and there.
Nan Song - there is something very elegant about him. I'm glad he didn't fall. Watching him later on the TV, he seemed a bit slow but I didn't notice it at the rink.
Romain Ponsart - first time for me to see him, I somehow missed watching his SP. I thought he was really in sync with the music. I hope we get to see him more.
Jeremy Ten - he's such a beautiful skater, it's a shame about the falls. I'm sorry about his friend. Maybe it affected his performance too.
Florent Amodio - I didn't realize he zayaked twice and missed an element until I got home. I enjoyed his skating though. His 3A was beautiful. He's so entertaining that it's no wonder he gets invited to galas.
Maxim Kovtun - The audience love him if it's any consolation to his fans at GS. The lady next to me gave him a standing ovation. I didn't see anything about his skating that deserves so much negativity. He's still young and improving. Good luck to him for the next season.
2nd Group - I was feeling a little better here.
Max Aaron - I like both his new SP (watched on TV) and FS. It's amazing that he was able to put 2 new programs together in such a short amount of time. I hope he goes places with them next season.
Nam Nguyen - there is a part in his choreography where he yawns and stays still for a couple of seconds which I found disruptive since I couldn't see his face. But he said that he hasn't been feeling good all week so maybe that's exactly what he needed. :thumbsup: for staying on his feet.
Sergei Voronov - I love Sergei for various reasons:love:. He takes a long preparation time to jump but who cares if he lands them.
Takahito Mura - I was pleasantly surprised he was a much better skater than I thought. Good to see him ending the season on a good note and that he can do well without Papa Mura.
Jason Brown - impressive spins, everything was nicely executed. He looked perfect to me. Bravo!
Han Yan - huge 3A, too bad about the fall and the mistakes. Hoping for a healthier/injury free next season for Han.
Yuzuru Hanyu - Standing ovations from everyone, even lazy me! I really thought he made no mistakes, I didn't realize he missed his 4T until I got home which says a lot about me as a reporter. A nice way to end a horrific season.

Cute things I found, because it's Japan.
Go-chan, the TV Asahi panda prince was adorable. He can do layback spins, combination spins, ina bauer and hydroblade! He's awesome. His bottom sticking out from his costume might make him inappropriate in some countries.
Odaddy - I had to look through my binoculars but Odaddy was so cute in the same way as Go-chan. Could not find Shizuka although I think she was also one of the commentators.
Even the zambonis made me excited. They were smaller than I thought.

Comparing live events to watching from TV/computer screens.
Because I was far away from the rink, I had a good view of the ice coverage which I should have paid more attention to. I didn't really notice anyone lacking it so maybe they were all pretty good. Nobody was noticeably slow during the 6 minutes warmup. I need more eyes!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you! How exciting that you got to see such an awesome men's competition live, even if it was from not so good seats! and thank you for telling us about it!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you Mikaboo and lady_bee for your reports. I really enjoy hearing them.

Mikaboo, it's true about Kovtun looking much better live than on TV. I'm still not quite a fan, but the things people complain about concerning his skating don't show up much when you see him live.

I too wanted to have more eyes, or more time, to really enjoy the 6 minute warm ups. Just fantastic.