2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And of course no mention of how anyone is supposed to watch this. And it's an IN article, so it would have been a perfect opportunity for them to say "See it live right here on Ice Network!" It is so beyond stupid that no one is going to be able to see this competition that they are hyping up so much.

I too wish that the comp were going to be streamed somewhere.
But for me, this article does not rub salt in the wound.
IIRC, it is not unusual for IN to preview comps that it has no intention of live streaming.

I do wonder how the live blogging from IN -- promised not by IN, but by Freezer Challenge social media -- will work.
Does it mean live tweeting? Or does IN have another mechanism for live blogging?

ETA:

The following line has been added to the IN article (thx to Layback11 for flagging in The Edge):
Icenetwork will provide FREE on-demand video, photos and news from the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge, which is set for Friday at the Colorado Springs World Arena.

(No mention of live blogging.)

Excerpt from new post this afternoon on the Facebook page of the Freezer Challenge:
... Unlike previous years, we will not live stream the Broadmoor Open and have decided not to live stream the Aerial Challenge as well. This decision was made after much deliberation. In the end, we believe that it is in the best interest of this exciting new event to showcase the results in an edited highlight package following the competition that will appear on icenetwork.com. With a new format, the testing of a new scoring system and the venue’s inconsistent internet connectivity, we feel it’s best to deliver a more fully produced presentation to help create even more interest in what we hope will become a fan-favorite event in the future! Stay tuned for more details and links to the highlight video when it becomes available. ...
https://www.facebook.com/FreezerAerialChallenge/posts/414992768703161

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Top American figure skaters ready to show off their jumps in free competition at The Broadmoor World Arena
By Joe Paisley •  Published: June 24, 2015 •
http://gazette.com/top-american-fig...-at-the-broadmoor-world-arena/article/1554328 (includes another photo of Max, BTW)​

Excerpt:
Open organizer David Hamula hopes the second annual competition will develop into a stand-alone event.

@RichardDornbush
On my way to @AerialChallenge today! Wish my leg didn't hurt but #YOLO #jumptheotherwaymaybe
4:58 PM - 23 Jun 2015
https://twitter.com/RichardDornbush/status/613496311157948416

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Good luck all contestans! Let's land those quads and triple axels.
Can't wait to see video clips...even non-official,:biggrin: as soon as possible.
Does anyone know of any Golden Skate member going there?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
karne:
IN has tweeted photos of four of the men's favorites for the Freezer.
Max and Jason -- plus I think Brendan and Richard are the other two, if my eyes do not deceive me. So now I hope that Brendan still is competing although the international skaters were removed from the second press release. Sorry if I caused unnecessary confusion. Although a lot about this event is confusing to me :confused2:.

Brief article about the Freezer. Includes photo of Jason (T & I program).

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I did see that on my Twitter feed this morning, golden411. I was pretty happy that Brendan made the cut to be considered a "favourite", and I do think he could rattle the others pretty well, and not just in the backflip contest. But I think Max is still the favourite, especially if he tries the 4Lo as he has suggested he might.

samson

Medalist
Thanks for posting the link to that article Golden411! Excited to see this Polina Edwards girls... ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hot off the press from gallavich's new thread in The Edge:

This was just published today - a rather lengthy article about the current state of skating, with a focus on the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge. Johnny & Tara are interviewed.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/x-games-on-ice

IceNetwork says four of the Ladies favorites are Mariah Bell, Courtney Hicks, Karen Chen, and Polina Edmunds:

Photo of Max, Richard, Kimmie, and Michael Weiss from today's meet-and-greet:

ETA:

Photo of Audrey Weisiger, founder of the event along with TZ, wearing a Freezer Challenge t-shirt :cool::

Another one (very cute) of the foursome at the meet-and-greet:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Brendan Kerry is not competing in the Freezer Challenge after all, per Dornbush comment on Instagram this morning (emphasis added below).

So it was significant indeed that the names of the international skaters disappeared from the second press release. (I am guessing that none of the international skaters originally announced [Liam Firus was another] will compete in the Freezer.)

rickdorn
Excited to be competing in the first (in recent history?) of its kind @AerialChallenge with my boi @_p_dub_ ! #FlippinStraightTrippin Shout out to Aussie @br3ndan_ who couldn't make it due to sanctioning issues with ISU #NeverFearChange
https://instagram.com/p/4ZdLtbqGnJ/

(@_p_dub_ is Philip Warren.)

ETA, @11apperera is planning to provide live updates from the Freezer:

ETA, pre-comp selfie with Max, Polina, Richard, Nathan, Amber, etc., etc.:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
karne is angrily kicking things and will be back later.

Also would like to point out that they do advertise Canadian sanction, so Firus may yet compete.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ladies Semi-final(?) Results -- thanks to @11apperera:

> Bottom line is: "Amber, Courtney, Mirai, Paige, Mariah advance. In that order."

Mirai: clean 3L. Lovely 3F. And good 3T. 6.5, 6.7, 5.97. 19.17 total.

Amber: Rippon Lutz. 8.1. Great 3F. 7.17. 3Lo. 6.5

Emily Chan: 3T. 4.33. 3Lo stepout. 3.70. 3F stepout. 3.90.

Mariah: 3L. 4.87. 3F, saved it. 3.90. Nice 3Lz. 6.93.

Carly Berrios: 3Lo 5.80. Popped Lz. 0.20. Good 3F. 6.00.

[no tweet for Tyler Pierce]

Angela: 3T. 2.70. Rippon 3Lo. 5.10. 3Lz. 6.93.

Yu Miao: 3Lo. 4.40. 3Lz stepout. 4.37. Popped sal. 0.05.

Elena Pulkinen: 2Lz fall. 1.20. 2A. 3.30. Popped sal. 0.05.

Courtney: speed! Wow! 3F. 7.40. Off axis 3Lz she saved. 6.93. Hands at side 3Lo. 6.50.

Paige: Speed and smooth. 5.73 3T. 3F 7.17. 2A. 4.30.​

ETA, photo of printed starting order (tweeted after the fact):

karne is angrily kicking things and will be back later.

Also would like to point out that they do advertise Canadian sanction, so Firus may yet compete.

Sorry about Brendan.
Thx for your good point re Liam.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Men's Semi-final Results -- thanks to @11apperera:

> Bottom line: "Phillip, Ricky, Nathan, Tim, Aleksei qualify in that order."

(golden411's emphases added to quads and/or double-digit scores)

Vincent Zhou: 3F, 6.23. 3Lo. 6.03. Spread eagle into Rippon lutz. 7.87.

Patrick Rupp: 2-ft 3A. 7.83. Kimmie is generous. Fall on Rippon lutz. 3.90. 3F. Did not catch score in time.

Nathan Chen: 4T. 10.83. 3A. 9.17. 3Lz. 6.7

Phillip Warren: sptead eagle into 3FLz. 7.63. Nice 3A. Hand down 4T. The "oh yeah" look. 10.30.

[per skate order, golden411 thinks this tweet was for Dornbush, but it did not name the skater] YMCA on! 3Lz. 7.83. 3A. 11.50! Nice! 3F, 7.40.

Alex Johnson: 2F. 1.90. 3A. 8.83. 4T, 8.30

Jordan Moeller: 3F, 7.40. 3A fall. 5.50. 3F, did not catch score.

Tim Dolensky: 3Lz, 7.87. 3A. Effortless jumps. 10.17. 4S fall, 7.50

Aleksei: 3F. 6.70. 3A. That knee... Nobu esque. 10.83. 3 Lz. 7.40

Camden Pulkinen: 3T. 4.33. 5.30 3F. 3Lz. 6.93.​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Where is Karen Chen? Wasn't she supposed to be in this?

Who knows at this point?

I'm still trying to figure out why Max and Jason and Polina don't have to qualify but Ricky and Nathan and Mirai do.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Video of Dornbush competing at Freezer:

https://www.facebook.com/flavioice/videos/vb.1319435642/10204613914290681/?type=2&theater

(via @IFSmagazine)

ETA:

I quickly did go back and glance at the announcement. No explanation there, AFAIK, as to who qualified for byes.

And ... Vivian Le has been added to the current round of Ladies. I have no idea why. But her total score is very high.

Also bugging me that the "Final" round (capital F) is not the final (as in "last") round of the comp.​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Next round of Ladies ... from the tireless :) @11apperera:

([in warm-up] 3A attempt by Mirai. 2 ft, but still...)

Mariah: 3Lz-2T-2T. 9.07. 2A. 4.13. 3Lz.

Paige Rydberg: 3F, 5.53. 3t-3t-3t, fall on last 3T. 10.20 Paige: 2A 3.97.

Mirai: game face. 3A 2ft. Still good and tight. 7.17. 3t2t3t. 10.67. 3F 7.17. Nice!!

"Courtney: 2A. 4.30. 3F, 7.40. 3f1lo3s, did not catch score. In fourth" [so far]

Amber: 3f3t2t 11.83. Rippon lutz, good save. 5.77. 2A. 4.30.

Vivian Le: 3lz3t3t. 15.37. 2A. 4.13. 3lz 8.90. Wow.

Polina: 2A. 3.63. Fall on 3f. 3.20. 3f1lo3s 11.40. Redo 3lz, 3.90

[comment from golden411: I do remember something in the rules that each skater is given one "redo" -- one redo for the whole comp. Not one redo per round.]

Max and Jason coming up in the current round of men -- per the tweeter.

"Max has the epitome of game faces..."

Last edited: