What are you listening to right now? | Page 107 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

Layback11

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/VQLvGljJS64
I’ve been listening to this a lot because it reminds me both of my current circumstances as a quarantine senior, and the skating novel I just finished(!), where someone uses this as part of a gala program.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Heard this morning that Brendan Bowyer died last night in Las Vegas.

Every time I hear Brendan's name, one particular song pops into my head. And it stays there for hours afterwards. So, I just had to use it as my tribute on here:

The Royal Showband - "The Hucklebuck"

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ABC Classics FM annual Top 100, a countdown voted for by listeners. This years it's Beethoven, all Beethoven (well, he did win favourite composer last year). Currently it's the Leonora No 3 - unfortunately, my lifetime of listening to classical musical comedy means that it keeps turning in my head into something from the Hoffnung concerts :laugh:

Tomorrow when the countdown continues towards no 1, there are gonna be a LOT of symphonies....

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Unfortunately, we have returned to the obituaries.

Steve Priest, the bassist with The Sweet, died on Thursday.

Choosing a song to post as a tribute was very hard, because I love so many Sweet songs. But in the end, I went for my favourite Sweet song. Not because it is my favourite, but because Steve has prominant parts in it - not only does he sing a lot of the most iconic lines of the song, but he is even mentioned in the opening line!

The Sweet - "The Ballroom Blitz"

Although I chose this particular song, I would recommend listening to other Sweet songs as well, such as "Block Buster!" (amazingly their only UK #1! :shocked: ); "Fox on the Run"; "Wig-Wam Bam"; and the not-as-dubious-as-the-title-suggests "Little Willy".

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
More bad news, I'm afraid. Bonnie Pointer from the Pointer Sisters has died.

Bonnie's death means that the original line-up of the group, made up of the two younger sisters, have now left for the big stage in the sky. Youngest sister June died in 2006. Older sisters Anita and Ruth would later join the group to make it a trio and then a quartet.

Bonnie left the group in 1977, before the Pointer Sisters released the songs I am most familiar with ("Jump" and "I'm So Excited"). However, she was a co-writer of the following song with Anita (who sings the lead vocals), which won the group their first Grammy Award:

The Pointer Sisters - "Fairytale"

My thoughts are with her family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan