Country
Australia

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yesterday, Ireland lost a legend.

So, in memory of Gay Bryne, there was one song I had to listen to today.

[In a Dublin accent] "Roll it there, Róisín"

Chris Andrews - "To Whom It Concerns"

(Anybody who has ever lived in Ireland will know the significance of that song. And the connection with the quote before it).

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and the broadcasting community.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you to Ksenija Heimane of Latvia for keeping the same SP music as last season. :cheer: :clap: :points:

I saw her SP at the Tallinn Trophy about an hour ago, and was intrigued by the music. It was a version of Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of The Heart". The sound over the speakers in the arena wasn't great, but I could make out enough to realise that it wasn't being sung in English. Yet, it did sound like Bonnie's voice. So, I started wondering if it was maybe a Welsh version (Bonnie is Welsh, after all).

When I looked up Wikipedia, it turned out that Bonnie had recorded a whole pile of different versions of the song! :drama: So, I decided to try looking for a video of Ksenija on YouTube to see if the song had been identified by the software. And although there were no videos from this season, there was a video from last season's Silver Skate Cup. And the software had indeed identified the music:

Bonnie Tyler and Kareen Antonn - "Si demain..."

OK, so I should have recognised that the language was French. :palmf: But, as I said, you couldn't make the words out well over the speakers.

But, now I am intrigued by the person that Bonnie is singing with. Her full name is Kareen Antonopoulou. And, like always happens when I come across people with Greek names, I really want to know where her family originally came from!

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There's a TV show on 70s music on right now and Joe Cocker is singing 'You Are So Beautiful'... never ever gets old.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City is the place where they said:
Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
I said hey Joe, take a walk on the wild side

Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side (1972)

This unique song makes me want to read Nelson Algren's novels and short stories about the underclass and to watch Joe Dallesandro's underground films for Andy Warhol again.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I remember very regretfully deleting this song from my cheapo 50 MB MP3 player in high school because I wanted to make room for songs that I could understand more of the lyrics.

"Haruiro Kataomoi (Spring-Colored Unrequited Love)" by Irokui

Now I have a cheapo smartphone with a 4GB SD card, so back into my music collection it goes! I can't believe I used to find it hard to understand.

By the way, Irokui broke up in 2011. Visual kei bands come and go, but I will always have cheap electronics packed full of their music. :rock:

clovertree71

Rinkside
I saw On Ice Perspective's youtube channel, it's sooo good. He recorded a video of Vincent Zhou's exhibition skate to "Slow Dancing in the Dark" and now it's stuck in my head.

Nachi

On the Ice
I always get to know new music while watching anime. Many of them have very nice openings. A current anime had music of a band which sounded like one that I listened to when I was a teen. I wondered if some of the japanese skaters might know them even though their songs are in English ^^.

https://youtu.be/PM_cL7uKKZg