What are you listening to right now? | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Like at the moment you're posting. :) Any any story behind the song you'd like to share?

"Perfect Couples" by Belle and Sebastian. It's from their newest album, Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance. I've been a fan of this band since I was a freshman in college, so 15 years! They've been together nearly 20 years -- they formed in Glasgow in 1996 as part of a college project.

I just saw them in concert recently and it was striking how us fans had grown up (as the band did -- the members are now in their mid-40s or so). There were people who brought their elementary and middle school children!

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
"Perfect Couples" by Belle and Sebastian. It's from their newest album, Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance. I've been a fan of this band since I was a freshman in college, so 15 years! They've been together nearly 20 years -- they formed in Glasgow in 1996 as part of a college project.

Not the biggest fan, but saw them live last in 2002. They do an awesome cover of the Zombies "Time of the Season". ;)

Right now, I actually really like Carly Rae Jepsen's 'All That' (SNL live version here) featuring Dev Hynes... dude is amazing whether he is performing as Blood Orange or giving his songs away to Carly Rae, Tinashe, Sky Ferreira, Florence and the Machine, etc...

Recycle Culture did an incredible remix of Carly Rae's 'I Really Like You', as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not the biggest fan, but saw them live last in 2002. They do an awesome cover of the Zombies "Time of the Season". ;)

Right now, I actually really like Carly Rae Jepsen's 'All That' (SNL live version here) featuring Dev Hynes... dude is amazing whether he is performing as Blood Orange or giving his songs away to Carly Rae, Tinashe, Sky Ferreira, Florence and the Machine, etc...

Recycle Culture did an incredible remix of Carly Rae's 'I Really Like You', as well.

I saw them live back in 2002 also, in Chicago. My friend actually got engaged at the concert! He had met his girlfriend at a Belle and Sebastian fan picnic. Anyway, it was super cute and then the band serenaded them with "Judy and the Dream of Horses." So adorable. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I saw them live back in 2002 also, in Chicago. My friend actually got engaged at the concert! He had met his girlfriend at a Belle and Sebastian fan picnic. Anyway, it was super cute and then the band serenaded them with "Judy and the Dream of Horses." So adorable. :)

Same tour then, obviously! I saw them at the State Theatre in Detroit, so I imagine the shows were only separated by a day or two from Chicago. :)

Also, big fan of M83 since 2002 when he released his first album. Saw M83 live a couple years ago, actually... and 'I Break Horses' was the opening band, so pretty epic show! :biggrin:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I also listened to Radiohead "how to disappear completely" like four times today.
http://youtu.be/lAF8D0ugyVk

Mmm... saw Radiohead last in 2003, Field Day Fest in New Jersey. (Just keeping the theme up with seeing everyone live mentioned in this thread so far.) ;)

It's a wonder I still have my hearing. Although I did switch over to Etymotic earplugs around 2008, when a certain concert really damaged the high-frequency hearing in my left ear...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mmm... saw Radiohead last in 2003, Field Day Fest in New Jersey. (Just keeping the theme up with seeing everyone live mentioned in this thread so far.) ;)

It's a wonder I still have my hearing. Although I did switch over to Etymotic earplugs around 2008, when a certain concert really damaged the high-frequency hearing in my left ear...

I am truly your concert stalker!! I saw them in 2003 TOO. :laugh: In Wisconsin (Alpine Valley Music Theatre).

Yeah, I really need to start brining earplugs.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I am truly your concert stalker!! I saw them in 2003 TOO. :laugh: In Wisconsin (Alpine Valley Music Theatre).

Yeah, I really need to start brining earplugs.

:laugh: You may not have to stalk too hard to find me at shows, especially back in 2002-2003 (one of my hottest streaks ever)... although 2011-2013 was pretty busy too... had several times where I'd be seeing 3 or 4 concerts a week.

Yeah... Etymotic earplugs are worth the $10-15 USD (reusable)... they are almost invisible, do not muffle the sound, and are very comfortable to use (if you get the right size for your ears)... I do not know how people go to some of these concerts without any form of hearing protection at all... :eek:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't go to many shows as I used...2002-2007 was a huge concert going streak for me... then I slowed down as i got busy with career, getting married, blah blah blah....

Still try to see at least one or two shows a year these days.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I listened to Washed Out on shuffle all day! I have three albums and an EP.

Also listened to Haert "wings". That song has been following me everywhere I go :)
http://youtu.be/yk52XHSpmF4

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I don't go to many shows as I used...2002-2007 was a huge concert going streak for me... then I slowed down as i got busy with career, getting married, blah blah blah....

Still try to see at least one or two shows a year these days.

Understandable. Most of my old concert-going friends have grown-up, gotten married, had kids, busy with work, etc... so I don't have the same experience now that I did 10-15 years ago. But I still go, still keep up with music to an obsessive level, and still do a lot of crazy things to see certain bands... I do have a career, but I've never lost touch of the things I've enjoyed doing, even if it can be difficult to manage at various stages of life now.

Mrs. P -- with the few music-related comments you've made, I'm curious if you used to roll with a 'hipster'-ish crowd when you were younger? ;)

Also listened to Haert "wings". That song has been following me everywhere I go :)

I've seen Washed Out live 3 times, and Haerts live twice! :laugh:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I always think of Portlandia when I think of Washed Out, since they do the theme song!

Understandable. Most of my old concert-going friends have grown-up, gotten married, had kids, busy with work, etc... so I don't have the same experience now that I did 10-15 years ago. But I still go, still keep up with music to an obsessive level, and still do a lot of crazy things to see certain bands... I do have a career, but I've never lost touch of the things I've enjoyed doing, even if it can be difficult to manage at various stages of life now.

Mrs. P -- with the few music-related comments you've made, I'm curious if you used to roll with a 'hipster'-ish crowd when you were younger? ;)

LOL -- I would never want to be called a hipster, but I guess if you want to be technical, I guess that would have been the case. :) I did roll with a musician crowd (though I wasn't really one myself, beyond having done piano lessons for nearly a decade and was a major band/orchestra/jazz band geek in high school). There was quite a nice music scene in my college town and my friends often exposed me to a lot of different bands and artists and I often went to concerts with these folks.

A major reason I don't go to as many concerts now is namely geography. I now live in a smaller city that is 2-3 hours from major urban centers where shows are held. I love living where i live, but it does make it hard to make a whole lot of shows, especially if they're on a work night. Now it's a matter of priority -- which shows am I willing to take vacation time for or drive for. Belle and Sebastian in Portland was definitely one of those shows. Not planned, but I always seem to see them when I am undergoing interesting transitions in my life. In 2002, I had just started a major summer internship in Milwaukee. In 2006, I was just about 2-3 weeks into my current job and this time around, I was seeing them while I was 30 weeks pregnant. :)

I still love listening to music and getting exposed to lots of different artists, even if I can't see them live as often I would like.

LRK

Record Breaker
This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDst9A3sqis

When on the computer writing or reading, I find music with lyrics that I can understand distracting, so I often listen to either Two Steps or movie soundtracks. This is my current obsession - I think it is a very good compilation, and I hadn't quite realised before just how much good (to great) music there actually was in the HP movies!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is now the right time to say I have never even heard of any of these artists/groups, let alone heard the tunes?:slink:

Time to throwback to 1982, and "Mama Used to Say" by Junior, the tune I am currently listening to because a Facebook friend posted the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwTTGnDcwoA

And not just because I'm an uber, this tune is very much reminding me of Jason:

And mama used to say:
Take your time young man
And mama used to say:
Don't you rush to get old
And mama used to say:
Take it in your stride
And mama used to say:
Live your life
:laugh:

loopy

Final Flight
I have been stuck on podcasts and kdrama's, no new music in a long while!