What are you listening to right now? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This thread is almost approaching its one year anniversary! :) Thanks guys for sharing your selections. I'm actually listening to M83's "Wait" in honor of one of Sam's early posts!

Today I have also been listening to a ton of Broken Social Scene, Stars, etc., prompted by Sabinfire's mention of them during on our post-Worlds nightcaps. :) It reminds me of a really special and important time in my life -- namely transitioning from college to being "grown-up" (though it could be argued I'm still not grown up :laugh:).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nerdy Musician alert.

This guy blows my mind!

https://youtu.be/jdYJf_ybyVo

Yes....it is necessary to make those "John Mayer" like faces when you play like a boss!

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Stars "From the Night" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr5VE3ogdl8

Funny story. I was browsing my phone on the plane ride back from Worlds on Saturday and this song was on it. It must've been one of those free song of the day things from Starbucks but I never got around to listening to it for whatever reason.

As I mentioned in my previous post -- I had talked about Stars and the rest of the Toronto supergroup collective with Sabinfire like 24 hours earlier--so this was a really strange happenstance.

In any case, the song is awesome so I'm glad I found it. Although I noticed in the comments people felt Stars had sold out cause it's a bit more EDM-ish? I don't know if I agree...

ETA: Went back on this thread and clicked on a few I missed. Sam-S ---Slaptop, "Sunrise" is so good. I felt like dancing in the middle of my office (I restrained myself), but definitely was a great pickup considering my post-Worlds withdrawal I'm feeling at the moment!

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Golly I feel really un-cool. :laugh: How do you two hear of these bands? I never heard of this group!

Actually it's a sincere question. I used to go to Pitchfork but not so much now. I read music blogs and I have friends (like you guys. :yes:) who can tell me about stuff. This is part of the reason I started this thread! :)

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Golly I feel really un-cool. :laugh: How do you two hear of these bands? I never heard of this group!

Actually it's a sincere question. I used to go to Pitchfork but not so much now. I read music blogs and I have friends (like you guys. :yes:) who can tell me about stuff. This is part of the reason I started this thread! :)

Lots of sources, probably can't even think of them all to be honest. If you have SiriusXM, Blog Radio is excellent -- especially 'Gorilla vs. Bear' and 'Carles.buzz' (aka Hipster Runoff). Both also have blogs, though Carles isn't particularly active these days other than SiriusXM.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lots of sources, probably can't even think of them all to be honest. If you have SiriusXM, Blog Radio is excellent -- especially 'Gorilla vs. Bear' and 'Carles.buzz' (aka Hipster Runoff). Both also have blogs, though Carles isn't particularly active these days other than SiriusXM.

I'm sure you can send those sources along to me when you think of them. :)

I do have SiriusXM! I'm so playing that channel in Baby P's room (we have a Sonos setup and she has speakers in her room) -- she's got to start early.

My main source has been Three Imaginary Girls (http://threeimaginarygirls.com/) and SSG Music (http://www.ssgmusic.com/) both Seattle/Pacific Nw based.

My friend just posted the lineup for Outside Lands (http://www.sfoutsidelands.com/). The line up is compelling enough to get m out of my "no more outdoor festivals" phase...but I probably will pass -- still way to much for my taste, especially after going to Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Indie-rock run featuring the side project of my nerdy indie rock crush, Erlend Oye. :love:

The Whitest Boy Alive
Above You
Rollercoaster Ride
Golden Cage
Dead End

And ending with that Stars song again. Perfect song to drive it all home.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am Carles BB!!!

I thought Hipster Runoff was dead.

Honestly I've been finding bands these days on a Muzak channel (Stylus) and based on YouTube suggestions. :laugh:
I'm an iTunes nerd too and use those suggestions.

Band of the moment for me is Other Lives and the Paper Kites :yes:

Mrs P, I know you're from PNW and I'm a bit curious as to if you listen to Blitzen Trapper?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
OMG, I'm really not trying to be hipster here, but I saw Blitzen Trapper before they hit it big at one of the bars in town. I think it was 2006 or 2007, before they signed to Sub Pop? The bar had a super awesome booking guy who got some up-and-coming PNW bands and Blitzen Trapper was one of them.

I remember seeing them at Sasquatch a year later and thought how crazy they were just playing in my local bar not too long ago. I haven't listened to them in a while.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, so I'm not crazy! I was listening to their new stuff just now and I didn't recognize them. As I said, it's been a while since I listened to them...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I am Carles BB!!!

I thought Hipster Runoff was dead.

Carles used to be all the rage, but mysteriously dropped off the face of the earth for a few years (though his SiriusXM show has always remained active, weekly on Mondays).

Did you follow all the hubbub last year when Carles finally revealed himself and sold the HipsterRunoff URL/brand for a small fortune?

Interesting story, especially if you followed HRO back in the day...

The Last Relevant Blogger
https://motherboard.vice.com/read/hipster-runoff-the-last-relevant-blogger

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carles used to be all the rage, but mysteriously dropped off the face of the earth for a few years (though his SiriusXM show has always remained active, weekly on Mondays).

Did you follow all the hubbub last year when Carles finally revealed himself and sold the HipsterRunoff URL/brand for a small fortune?

Interesting story, especially if you followed HRO back in the day...

The Last Relevant Blogger
https://motherboard.vice.com/read/hipster-runoff-the-last-relevant-blogger

Epic!! Thanks for the link because I hadn't kept up in a while but used to be obsessed with that blog.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, I clearly missed out. :laugh: Good read -- makes me wish I did read the blog in its heyday.

Well I guess I'll catch his SirusXM show then. :)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So do you ever have that song is in your head but you can't remember either the name of the song or the artist?

The chorus of this song got into my head earlier this week. But I couldn't remember anything more than that. Eventually I remember that the song was on a mix-CD my friend made for me. Haven't found the CD, but I did remember she liked to put a lot of VHS or Beta songs in her mixes.

I listened to several VHS or Beta songs before I found the one that was in my head.

So here it is: VHS or Beta, "Heaven" Anyway, very upbeat, catchy chorus and interesting changes in tempo.

Last edited: