What are you listening to right now? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A Youtube playlist of electro & house music. I like some hipster music, but am definitely not a hipster...put it this way, I live half a day's drive from Coachella, but have never gone because it's my worst nightmare (I went to a few music festivals when I lived in Germany, and the experiences were not good).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A Youtube playlist of electro & house music. I like some hipster music, but am definitely not a hipster...put it this way, I live half a day's drive from Coachella, but have never gone because it's my worst nightmare (I went to a few music festivals when I lived in Germany, and the experiences were not good).

I used to go to music festivals but they got too big and too expensive. The last one I went to was Sasquatch! which is held at the Columbia Gorge in Central Washington State back in 2007. The festival now charges hundreds of dollars for the privilege of hanging out with thousands of people and camping out in unmowed fields. No thanks. Better to just pay for individual concerts IMO.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I used to go to music festivals but they got too big and too expensive. The last one I went to was Sasquatch! which is held at the Columbia Gorge in Central Washington State back in 2007. The festival now charges hundreds of dollars for the privilege of hanging out with thousands of people and camping out in unmowed fields. No thanks. Better to just pay for individual concerts IMO.

:agree: Only been to a few festivals -- Field Day Fest, Pitchfork Music Festival, SXSW (if you want to call it a music festival)... I do not care for the atmosphere or massive crowds. SXSW wasn't so bad, since you could pick and choose where you want to go, and is more like an individual concert marathon spanning several days across downtown Austin... most of it, free! Including alcohol! But the more traditional music festivals (especially the ones that involve camping)... no thanks.

The time I went to Pitchfork, it rained 2 out of 3 days... the fields were muddy, the food expensive, and the weather was hot and muggy. I usually called it a day after about 4 hours. The nightly "after-parties" at various small venues throughout Chicago were much more fun than the festival itself.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah I would love to got SXSW, namely cause it's more diverse and you can actually discover some new artists. From a nerd point of view, I'd also like to go to SXSW interactive that is held the week before, but that baby is pricey! (Still I guess the free food drink and parties help make up the price).

I went to one day of a two-day festival in Chicago called the Curiosa Festival. It was The Cure, Spoon and The Walkman. That wasn't bad since it was just a few hours. And I liked all three bands.

I agree the after-parties/concerts are a lot of fun! I ended up going to a Built to Spill/The Decemberists concert that was held after the first day of Austin City Limits back in 2005. That was great.

In homage to the the question...I am not listening to anything right now, but I was listening to Belle and Sebastian's 2003 album, Dear Catastrophe Waitress.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
My plan is to return to SXSW someday and experience more of the overall event... but Austin is a hike for me, SXSW lasts 10 days (difficult for someone with a career), and the special passes are ridiculously priced. Feels like most people who can do this are young & privileged, or just Austin locals.

Okay, now I officially label you a hipster! :laugh: I've seen live all the bands you mentioned (some more than once). And not intended as a knock toward anyone, but the aging/dying hipster within me still cackles with laughter each time a passerby stops in to say, "I've never heard of any of these groups you guys are talking about." :rofl:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My plan is to return to SXSW someday and experience more of the overall event... but Austin is a hike for me, SXSW lasts 10 days (difficult for someone with a career), and the special passes are ridiculously priced. Feels like most people who can do this are young & privileged, or just Austin locals.

Okay, now I officially label you a hipster! :laugh: I've seen live all the bands you mentioned (some more than once). And not intended as a knock toward anyone, but the aging/dying hipster within me still cackles with laughter each time a passerby stops in to say, "I've never heard of any of these groups you guys are talking about." :rofl:

:laugh:

The 2002-2007 Ms. H (before I became Mrs. P, LOL) perhaps could be a hipster. I'm sort of just a part-time hipster now! As I said, I usually manage, at best, one to two shows a year.

Poor Mr. P (who has one bad ear) has been gracious enough to be dragged to all these shows -- I almost think he prefers being dragged to figure skating competitions instead. :laugh:

Speaking of aging hipsters...there were a TON of them at the Belle and Sebastian show, ha! One of them was wearing a kilt and reading "True Parent" magazine. (photo from Mr. P here: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...=9c27687d34be418aa12cfa0ad491f4dd&oe=559FEA10)

According to their slogan "True Parent" is the magazine for parents who "keep it real." It's actually an interesting concept: http://trueparent.com/about-us/

So clearly 30-week pregnant me was clearly NOT a big deal to this crowd, LOL.

(Perhaps you'll find me reading "True Parent" at the next concert. :laugh:)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I used to go to music festivals but they got too big and too expensive. The last one I went to was Sasquatch! which is held at the Columbia Gorge in Central Washington State back in 2007.

Not sure if anyone ever figured it or not but Sam-Skwantch is actually just an idiotic way to say Sasquatch. I actually turned when I heard someone say "Hey Sam" the other day and my name isn't even a little close. :slink:

Today was all about listening to Angus and Julia Stone. Specifically THIS song which me and a friend of mine performed out at a local open mic night a few weeks back. It's such a good song and Julia just mesmerizes me in this particular performance. I just can't get enough of this type of songwriting. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:laugh2: Aging and dying I am, yes, but never a hipster. Sometimes I wonder if it is the segregated (as I see it) music of today. Would I be wrong to believe that none of the artists mentioned in this thread, except for Junior, are African-American?
At one point in the past ten years, I looked at my album (yes, album) collection and realized *all* the non-classical artists were African-American. Not a conscious choice, just there it is. There's a reason I love watching Jason skate to Juke:laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
[/B]

:laugh2: Aging and dying I am, yes, but never a hipster. Sometimes I wonder if it is the segregated (as I see it) music of today. Would I be wrong to believe that none of the artists mentioned in this thread, except for Junior, are African-American?
At one point in the past ten years, I looked at my album (yes, album) collection and realized *all* the non-classical artists were African-American. Not a conscious choice, just there it is. There's a reason I love watching Jason skate to Juke:laugh:

Warren G's "Regulate" is playing at the beer shop I'm hanging out at right now...hello, 1990s rap.

ETA: And now Outkast's "Miss Jackson" is on...what's up ATL?!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not discussed here yet but a song I'm known for aggressively pushing on to people is Taj Mahal "Corinna". Maybe the coolest song I've ever heard :cool:

http://youtu.be/MdSf_wiMVMc

In fact I just put it on the playlist for the get together I'm at. People always love it:yes:

Warren G is just :points: "the next stop is the east side Moteeeeeeeheehheelll"

[/B]
At one point in the past ten years, I looked at my album (yes, album) collection and realized *all* the non-classical artists were African-American. Not a conscious choice, just there it is. There's a reason I love watching Jason skate to Juke::

So you know......having an album collection is so Hipster. I'd say that and denying being a hipster are the first two signs I look for when identifying a hipster :laugh:

FWIW: I have to deny being a hipster pretty much everyday. I also have a lot of vinyl. :slink:

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Speaking of aging hipsters...there were a TON of them at the Belle and Sebastian show, ha! One of them was wearing a kilt and reading "True Parent" magazine. (photo from Mr. P here: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...=9c27687d34be418aa12cfa0ad491f4dd&oe=559FEA10)

Nice. I've seen a lot of weird stuff over the years so it's difficult to be shocked, but I'm hardly surprised at the turnout for Belle & Sebastian. :laugh: I'm more of a silent observer these days rather than a spectacle myself.

No 'plans' on becoming a parent anytime soon, but I will file away the "True Parent" info just in case. ;)

Hmmm... Dev Hynes (aka Blood Orange), maybe? :think: Mentioned him in my first post here, born in Houston Texas!

And Tinashe!

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I love Blood Orange...and FKA Twigs :yes:

Hipsters come in all colors...in fact the word "hipster" originated in the 1940s jazz era (though the modern hipster is rather a different breed, for sure).

QMATTERS

Rinkside
I listened to my All That Echoes CD by Josh Groban. Getting ready to purchase his Stages CD at Target on Tuesday.

I love to listen to Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho and classical music.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Throwback trio for the AM:

"My Favorite Mutiny" by The Coup (hip-hop group from Oakland, Calif.; song came out in 2006)

"Honey Baby" Damien Jurado (songwriter from Seattle; song came out in 1999)

"I Know What Love Isn't," Jens Lekman (songwriter from Sweden; song came out in 2012)

Damien Jurado and Jens Lekman are on the same label (Secretely Canadian). The Coup seems out of place given the other two, but can't say no to what you're in the mood for. :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^

:yes: There's something about YoYo Ma's playing that makes me think he has a heart as big as Everest itself. I love his recording of the Bach Cello Suites.

Also love your avatar, Katmari -- tuxedo kitties are a weakness of mine and that guy looks like an especially handsome one! :love:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for your comments on my cat Sebastian, skatedreamer. He's a handsome boy and very affectionate. :)

I love listening to Yo Yo Ma. The brilliance of his technique combined with the warmth of his tone just makes my heart melt.

I really love how versatile and creative he is too. Denis Ten's FS is great because of his wonderful Silk Road music!

I also listened to Radiohead "how to disappear completely" like four times today.
http://youtu.be/lAF8D0ugyVk

Just listened to the entire Kid A album this morning. Still so amazing after all these years!