What are you listening to right now? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New World Symphony, Fourth Movement (... it is based on American folk music after all).

Happy Memorial Day to Americans, and Decoration Day or whatever it is called where you celebrate, if you celebrate.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Beautiful symphony! Thanks for your good wishes. I think Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day in the USA during my parents' generation. Can anyone else confirm that?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Beautiful symphony! Thanks for your good wishes. I think Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day in the USA during my parents' generation. Can anyone else confirm that?

The way it was explained to me was that prior to WWII it was called Decoration Day. Decoration Day started as a way to remember those lost in the Cival War. I'm not sure why the name change took place :confused2:

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Happy Memorial Day to Americans, and Decoration Day or whatever it is called where you celebrate, if you celebrate.
Memorial Day is American. Many countries have their own equivalent, but I doubt very much more than a few, if any, are celebrated on the last Monday in May. In my country, it's called Remembering the Dead, is observed on May 4, but isn't actually a holiday. ;-)

I'm listening to last night's recording of the first two (out of twelve) finalists of the Queen Elisabeth Music Competition. Been following the competition through the first round and the semi-finals, expanding my knowledge of classical (and some modern) violin music. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My current K-pop earworm: Shinee's "View"

It's so 1990s and I keep thinking at one point they're saying "It's the 90s on 9," ie referencing the SIRUS channel, lol (the line is actually "Tonight is the night"). It's a great summer jam. Also, as usual, their dance routine is top notch.

I linked their performance on Saturday Night Korea. There's a bit of a funny gag during the performance where the women SNL cast members decide to act like crazy crying fan girls while the SNL men act stoic and unimpressed. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Lean On"
Major Lazer
(with DJ Snake)
(feat. MØ)

http://youtu.be/YqeW9_5kURI

I wish someone would skate to something like this. Cutting edge but also unique and creative.

TBH MØ ( http://youtu.be/wFrth4NFogc ) is really starting to grow on me no matter how hard I try to deny it. This girl can sing.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Elena Radionova's FS music. :biggrin:

I like to listen to Rachmaniov (and his contemporaries) when I'm writing. Anyway Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor just came on! The part for her choreographic sequence just played so I'm having pictures of Elena during it joyfully. :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
Elena Radionova's FS music. :biggrin:

I like to listen to Rachmaniov (and his contemporaries) when I'm writing. Anyway Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor just came on! The part for her choreographic sequence just played so I'm having pictures of Elena during it joyfully. :)

OMG SO DO I! I bought an album of skating music from the 2014 Olympics (it's called the "Selections from Figure Skating at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics" on iTunes) and some random classical pieces I like and that's my writing playlist (not professional, just an amateur unpublished novelist). I'm currently digging Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini and Rachmaninoff's piano concerto #2. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks to researching for the "Good Music/Music Cuts" thread, I am currently listening to:

"Jesus Christ Superstar" Soundtrack (Original 1970 recording)

I have only gone to see the musical once (a performance by a local theatre group), back when I was still at High School. (Believe it or not, when it was being put on, there were a group of Free P's protesting outside the theatre!)

But, my Mum had a copy of the 1970 soundtrack on LP, and after my Uncle copied it to CD, I couldn't stop listening to it in the months afterwards. To the extent that, 13 years later, I still remember the words to most of the songs!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
"Lean On"
Major Lazer
(with DJ Snake)
(feat. MØ)

http://youtu.be/YqeW9_5kURI

I wish someone would skate to something like this. Cutting edge but also unique and creative.

TBH MØ ( http://youtu.be/wFrth4NFogc ) is really starting to grow on me no matter how hard I try to deny it. This girl can sing.

I could see Ashley or Joshi Helgesson skating to something like that.

I've been listening mostly to Zero 7, Royksopp and Kleerup (a project similar to Royksopp, with a lot of guest singers like Lykke Li, Susanne Sundfor, Robyn, etc.) I think a lot of this music would be good for skating, actually.