What are you listening to right now?

luckyguy

Match Penalty

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Last week mom and I watched the film Bohemian Rhapsody, mom's reaction was like: "Well, I didn't know Queen had such great music!"
Ensuing conversation: Me: Mom, it's Queen. :rolleye: You're the one who lived through Queen's active years, how is it that I'm the one who knows Queen's music better? :laugh:
Mom: I knew they had a lot of hits, but I didn't listen to foreign music much, and I had just liked one song by Queen.
Me: (Trying to accept the fact that one could have not liked over 20+ great hits) Okay... what was it then?
Mom: I can't remember the title. It was a ballad, that much I remember.
Me: Was it in the movie?
Mom: Maybe?
(I list off the possible songs, mom shakes her head each time)
Yesterday, mom goes "I found the song!"

Ladies and Gentlemen, the one single song by Queen that my mother had liked in her youth, and the song currently playing on my playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fna56a_r41s

Side note, my favorite has always been Under Pressure. (It's kinda because I love David Bowie's singing voice though :laugh:)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
... and in Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut, and in Lars von Trier's controversial Nymphomaniac.

In Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac this beautiful Charlotte Gainsbourg's version was used : Hey Joe

Kubrick...!!
I remember...
I had erolled in a screen writing class one summer years ago, auditing for fun.. alot of very serious students in that class. Eyes Wide Shut premiered during those weeks, professor and students eagerly anticipating the master's newest work... remaining weeks were devoted to that film's analysis and admiration. (I ended up doing my final paper, though I was auditing, the professor insisted I do the written work, on Krystof Kieslowsi, specifically The Double Life of Veronique and his Blue, White, & Red trilogy - a tall order - but received favorable comments on my work.. I glowed with pride..)

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Kubrick...!!
I remember...
I had erolled in a screen writing class one summer years ago, auditing for fun.. alot of very serious students in that class. Eyes Wide Shut premiered during those weeks, professor and students eagerly anticipating the master's newest work... remaining weeks were devoted to that film's analysis and admiration. (I ended up doing my final paper, though I was auditing, the professor insisted I do the written work, on Krystof Kieslowsi, specifically The Double Life of Veronique and his Blue, White, & Red trilogy - a tall order - but received favorable comments on my work.. I glowed with pride..)

What nice memories. :)

Kieslowski's score composer was Zbigniew Preisner. Here is his magnificient Concerto en mi mineur from The Double Life of Veronique.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The new single from a couple of names you mightn't recognise, but whose voices you probably will.

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott - "7 Inch Singles"

And here they are when they were 20 years younger:

The Beautiful South - "Perfect 10"

And while I'm at it, here is my favourite Beautiful South song:

The Beautiful South - "A Little Time"

On this song, the vocals are provided by Dave Hemingway (who, like Paul, used to be in The Housemartins) and Briana Corrigan (who, like me, is from Northern Ireland). Briana left the band in 1994, and Jacqui came in as her replacement.

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Ever since I found out that Ester Ledecká's Dad was a singer, I have been curious to know what he is like.

So, this afternoon while I was making out the Nationals Predictions Game threads, I listened to Janek Ledecký's 2006 Christmas album:

http://www.ledecky.cz/en/cd-dvd/12-vanocnich-nej_20/

CaroLiza_fan

Oh, I love Czech music. Here is my favorite Czech singer of all time:
Karel Zich (1949-2004) - Máš chuť majoránky

I like his cover of Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind even more than the original.
Tím víc tě mám rád

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very nice cover of "if You Could Read My Mind." And that's coming from a huge Gordon Lightfoot fan - me!

I admire Czech composers - especially Dvorak & Smetana, and am thrilled that we got to visit Prague & environs en route to Israel in the spring of 2011.