New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan? | Page 26 | Golden Skate

New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I did some searching, and found out I'd also asked about it on the bottom of page 24 of the 'Adopt an Orphan' thread a year ago, and got the same answer. ...

Oh, yes, now I see that the posts that I quoted were basically a repeat of what you previously had asked and been told.

I do find it amazing (in a good way) that new fan threads seem to be started at such a rapid rate.

And I think it's great that you are so highly motivated to do a lot of updating. Hope that a solution can be found to make things more efficient for you.
[ETA: And to be helpful to the big picture. :)]​

… . I also noticed people ... offering theirs for adoption due to lack of time to upkeep them. ...

I admire your motivation especially because I am an example of someone who still is active on GS and who still likes "my" skaters (for whom I started fan threads way back when), but who just has not put time into their OPs.

(So happens that almost all of "my" skaters have retired by now. Thanks to Mohacz for updating the Moore-Towers/Marinaro OP.)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Earlier, we put out a huge announcement regarding volunteers for the FF, but only received a couple. We still have need for several more. This was when we also offered a GS Supporter Package for the help.

There is nothing written in stone that says you can't adopt a thread that is already created by another poster. I understand the frustration of wanting to have the ability to do it on the spot without going through a mod or original poster. The fact of the matter is that we cannot allow everyone to be able to edit posts (for obvious reasons). We can hand select a few, which is why we have repeatedly asked for volunteers.

At this time, if you feel certain threads are not being updated in a timely manner, please feel free to PM the OP and ask if they would be interested in giving you the thread. If you don't get a response, simply contact of the mods so we can make the necessary transition ;)

Currently, we the FF moderators are supposed to update the OP on the birth month of the skater using a list I have created. Not all skaters that have a FF are on the list - only the ones who have competed this season.

I will soon be moving this thread to the New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt An Orphan for our records.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I did see the volunteer wanted announcements, but didn't apply myself. Not that I don't want to help out GS, but I simply don't have the time to maintain more than two fanfests at present. I suppose it's the same for others, that they only find the time to maintain a couple, and will naturally go for the fanfests of their own biggest favorites.

OTOH, the new announcement about contacting original posters or contacting the mods if the OP is gone and done, is a big help. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll be sure to do that.
I'm all for users offering their FF for adoption in this thread if they find they lack the time to maintain them, and that would make the adoption nicely transparent. I agree that only one appointed person being able to edit a FF, sounds like the best solution.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm planning to make fan threads for the Dutch Pair and Dance Teams (4 teams in total, two of each). 2 might have to wait a little bit as there is not that much information available yet due to an enormous lack of competitions, but I'll do my best!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just advanced warning that I will be posting 2 new Fan Fest threads later this month:

• Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen (DEN) in Ladies
  • Sofía Val / Nikita Vitryanyuk (ESP) in Ice Dance

The delay is because I am waiting for Anna-Flora's ISU Bio to be created, as I don't know her date of birth and I really don't want to put the thread up with an incomplete introductory paragraph. She is competing in the third Junior Grand Prix, so it shouldn't be too long until it appears.

As for the thread for the Ice Dance partnership, I am currently in the process of re-configuring the original Word documents I have of the threads for Nikita's previous partnerships. And I would need to get them finished and installed before the thread for the new partnership is posted.

Plus, given that Sofía is the former partner of Anna-Flora's brother, the idealist in me thinks it would be fitting if the two new threads had consecutive addresses. ;)

But, don't worry, in the meantime I will be installing the long-promised updates to my existing threads. I have finally found the motivation now! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just letting you know that I have now uploaded the new threads I promised. I decided to wait until the Entries / Results Page for this week's Junior GP was uploaded, as Anna-Flora is skating there.

Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/88895

Sofía Val / Nikita Vitryanyuk:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/88896

I now have a dilemma.

Corey Circelli deserves to have a Fan Fest.

Given that I like him, and I have considerable experience in making Fan Fests for skaters that have competed as both a Singles skater and as part of a partnership, I would like to make it. However, the sites I use to find the competitive history for skaters are useless for competitions in Canada. In short, they generally don't include any Canadian competitions.

It is all down to the Entries / Results Pages. Practically all competitions around the world use the same format of Entries / Results Page, so the owners of the databases I use have been able to develop software to harvest the data from these pages, rather than going through the long process of having to input it manually. However, the Canadian competitions publish their results in PDF's. So, the data cannot be harvested.

That I why I have never made a Fan Fest for a Canadian skater, despite liking a lot of them. Because I know fine well that I would miss out a good proportion of their competitions if I attempted it, because I don't know where else to find the results. And they deserve to have a Fan Fest that is complete.

So, does anybody know where to find Canadian competition results? If so, could you get in touch?

CaroLiza_fan

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I can take the Yuzuru Hanyu fan fest. :biggrin:

ETA: And the Han Yan and Boyang Jin Fan fests, which aren't being updated by the OPs. Or at all.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for the offer!

Yuzu's fan fest op was last updated on July 21, 2021. It is the first post in the season 2021-22 Yuzu thread.

Boyang Jin was last updated Aug. 25, 2021.

The date at the top of the OP is the date the thread was opened. The edit date is at the end of the OP. Neither Yuzu or Boyang's op needs work just now.

However, Han Yan's op was last edited Feb. 2020. The OP owner has not been around for quite a while, but the op got a birthday edit from a moderator. If you would like to be the OP owner, please send a PM to/start a conversation with @GoneWithTheWind who is managing fan fests these days, ( not me.)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Yuzu's fan fest op was last updated on July 21, 2021. It is the first post in the season 2021-22 Yuzu thread.
Yes, but it's from gsk8, so I can take over that thread. Would be better if a fan were updating it, eh? :)

Boyang Jin was last updated Aug. 25, 2021.
Sure, again, by a mod. So, would be better if a fan were doing it, since the OP hasn't even been around in a year. :) I have time for three. Would like to do that for the Olympic season.

However, Han Yan's op was last edited Feb. 2020. The OP owner has not been around for quite a while, but the op got a birthday edit from a moderator. If you would like to be the OP owner, please send a PM to/start a conversation with @GoneWithTheWind who is managing fan fests these days, ( not me.)
Will do.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but it's from gsk8, so I can take over that thread. Would be better if a fan were updating it, eh? :)

Sure, again, by a mod. So, would be better if a fan were doing it, since the OP hasn't even been around in around a year. :) I have time for three. Would like to do that for the Olympic season.

Will do.
As to Yuzu, send a PM to @gsk8 since she currently owns it. (Always remember, all the mods are fans. Just because a mod owns a fan fest, it does not mean the mod does not want it ;)