New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan?

Alex D

Record Breaker
Now we go to a Public Service Announcement.

Three weeks ago, a large number of junior skaters came up for adoption. It is now a week since the Junior Grand Prix Series came to an end, and unfortunately the majority of these kids are still waiting for somebody to come along and show them some love.

So, I am appealing to my fellow Golden Skate members to open your arms to these youngsters.

Over the past few months, I have become the adoptive father to 13 skaters, and I also have a 14[SUP]th[/SUP] on the way. So, my hands are rather full with all these children I already have! :laugh:

But I would definitely encourage anybody that is dithering over adopting a skater to go for it. It is a very fulfilling experience.

Here is the list of the young skaters that came up for adoption 3 weeks ago:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...pt-an-Orphan&p=1229869&viewfull=1#post1229869

Please note, the following skaters from that list have already found loving adoptive parents:

Yuna Shiraiwa
Deniss Vasiļjevs
Alla Loboda & Pavel Drozd
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko

So, please show the other kids some love. You will not regret it!

CaroLiza_fan

:cheer:

I sadly didn't see any juniors yet, but there are two "adults" coming soon. Just working on Gracie's new OP, should be finished by tomorrow. Most results and a bio is already there - but I will have to add videos and some more interviews. I am always a bit afraid to add video links that I didn't create / are not from official sources. :slink:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
As a suggestion, when/if time allows, maybe Doris could add those skaters to the OP of this thread? Maybe in a different section so people don't create threads of their own, but you could say something like 'these skaters already have a thread but are looking for a real adopter of their very own to take care of them' or something?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan. You are too awesome. Thank you for being such a lovely fan. :)

Awwww!!!! Thank you Mrs. P.

But, as I have made clear in the "Compliments" thread, you are WAAAAY more awesome!

I sadly didn't see any juniors yet, but there are two "adults" coming soon. Just working on Gracie's new OP, should be finished by tomorrow. Most results and a bio is already there - but I will have to add videos and some more interviews. I am always a bit afraid to add video links that I didn't create / are not from official sources. :slink:

You have been doing a great job with your Fan Fests. But, given how good your interviews are, I am not a bit surprised at how good they are!

At first, I too was worried about linking to videos, in case they subsequently disappeared. But, in the end, I thought "well, if they have been up for over a year, chances are they are not going to get targeted now". Consequently, if you look at any of the Fan Fests I have created, you will find LOTS of video links!

For the most extreme example of how far you can go with the links, see the Fan Fest I created for my wee country's most successful skater, Jenna McCorkell. (I admit, I did go overboard with Jenna. But, I thought I may as well do it as comprehensive as possible from the start, since it will not be getting updated much seeing as she is now retired).

As a suggestion, when/if time allows, maybe Doris could add those skaters to the OP of this thread? Maybe in a different section so people don't create threads of their own, but you could say something like 'these skaters already have a thread but are looking for a real adopter of their very own to take care of them' or something?

That's actually a very good idea.

The reason I decided to make that Public Service Announcement was that I felt really guilty, because it was obvious that me taking the thread off on a tangent talking about the 2 Anastasia Gubanovas had led to Doris' post becoming buried.

But, if the list was at the start of the thread, then it would be more somewhere prominent and would not get buried.

By the way, may I take this opportuinity to say well done to you for the great work you have been doing adopting skaters (and coaches!) recently.

CaroLiza_fan

tulosai

Record Breaker
For the most extreme example of how far you can go with the links, see the Fan Fest I created for my wee country's most successful skater, Jenna McCorkell. (I admit, I did go overboard with Jenna. But, I thought I may as well do it as comprehensive as possible from the start, since it will not be getting updated much seeing as she is now retired).

By the way, may I take this opportuinity to say well done to you for the great work you have been doing adopting skaters (and coaches!) recently.

CaroLiza_fan

WOW that Jenna thread is insane- that must have taken you a really long time!

And thanks, I've found adopting really fun :) I've managed to get up to about 12 skaters/teams myself though and also feel it might be good to back off now..

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I move the adoptable Juniors post to the second position on the thread, as you guys suggested.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Awwww!!!! Thank you Mrs. P.

But, as I have made clear in the "Compliments" thread, you are WAAAAY more awesome!

You have been doing a great job with your Fan Fests. But, given how good your interviews are, I am not a bit surprised at how good they are!

At first, I too was worried about linking to videos, in case they subsequently disappeared. But, in the end, I thought "well, if they have been up for over a year, chances are they are not going to get targeted now". Consequently, if you look at any of the Fan Fests I have created, you will find LOTS of video links!

That's actually a very good idea.

The reason I decided to make that Public Service Announcement was that I felt really guilty, because it was obvious that me taking the thread off on a tangent talking about the 2 Anastasia Gubanovas had led to Doris' post becoming buried.

But, if the list was at the start of the thread, then it would be more somewhere prominent and would not get buried.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for the kind words ;)

I actually had quite some help by Doris, I am sure she is already tired of me always asking her for help :drama: The idea of fan threads is actually pretty cool, I usually send skaters a link to mine as well, so they can give feedback. So far, its been very positive and they do check what you guys post, so always be nice ;)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm working on the Helgesson sisters, though it may take some time before the adoption has gone through.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Because:

Most importantly, no one has volunteered to adopt her.

Why no one has volunteered, I can't say, since she has many fans.

However, it is true that the longer a skater has been actively competing, the harder it is to do a good OP for her.

It is also true that my least favorite discipline is ladies. Mrs. P likes them a bit better than I do but they are not her favorites either. I am just not as likely to adopt a lady.

Finally, I regard these OPs as a kind of GS public service announcement, and an answer to the question, " Who the heck is Skater X??? I have never heard of her??" Consequently, the more well known the skater, the less likely they are to have a fan fest full OP. Patrick Chan doesn't have a full OP either.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Why is Wagner still an orphan? :confused:

She's not the only one.

When I put up the message appealing for foster parents the other week, I noticed that one of our reigning World Champions is still an orphan. :jaw:

Javier Fernández is looking for somebody to adopt him.

Hard to believe, isn't it?!

So, please somebody put Javi, Ashley, and the other orphans out of their misery.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
If sabinfire does not want her, I am willing to take Ashley on. I didn't know she was orphaned!!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Because:

Most importantly, no one has volunteered to adopt her.

Why no one has volunteered, I can't say, since she has many fans.

However, it is true that the longer a skater has been actively competing, the harder it is to do a good OP for her.

It is also true that my least favorite discipline is ladies. Mrs. P likes them a bit better than I do but they are not her favorites either. I am just not as likely to adopt a lady.

Finally, I regard these OPs as a kind of GS public service announcement, and an answer to the question, " Who the heck is Skater X??? I have never heard of her??" Consequently, the more well known the skater, the less likely they are to have a fan fest full OP. Patrick Chan doesn't have a full OP either.

You make some very good points.

And, I can totally understand why people would not want to adopt skaters that have had long careers. It took a lot of time to do the OP's for Jenna McCorkell and Sonia Lafuente, and I am now finding the same with Javier Raya (When I started him a week before Skate America, I was expecting to have him finished quite quickly. I didn't realise he had been around for quite as long as he had! Plus, it didn't help that one of my main sources of information was down for maintenance at the time...)

Even though I like Javi Fernández a lot, that is why I am not offering to adopt him.

And that is also why most of my recent adoptions have been of skaters that are relatively early in their careers. So that the OP is gradually building up over time, rather than all being done in one go.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: