New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I've finally adopted Alisa Agafonova & Alper Ucar. These two are always awesome to watch and deserve a thread! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow!!! Paula has been busy!

Great idea getting the Fan Fests up and running early, before they make it to the big time!

Now that all these new Fan Fests have arrived, it is probably a good time to bring up something I have been thinking, well, since the Junior GP Series event at Colorado Springs.

That was when I discovered that we had 2 skaters with the same name: Anastasia Gubanova.

The one we have been following for a few years is a Singles skater born in 2002. (Fan Fest)

But, now we also have a Pairs skater (partnering Alexei Sintsov) born in 2000. (Fan Fest)

This is potentially very confusing. So, I was wondering if there is a way that the thread titles could be used to emphasise that these are 2 different girls.

The Singles skater does not have a Wikipedia page yet. But whoever made the Wikipedia page for the Pairs skater did bear in mind that the Singles skater will probably get one in the future, as they have included the initial of Pairs skater's patronym (Andreyevna) in the address for her Wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_A._Gubanova ).

This is how the Fan Fest titles would look with the initials:

Anastasia V. Gubanova
Anastasia A. Gubanova & Alexei Sintsov

Personally, if we were to go down the Patronym route, I think I would prefer to use the full name rather than the initial. It would make it even more obvious than just a single letter, as shown below:

Anastasia Vitalievna Gubanova
Anastasia Andreyevna Gubanova & Alexei Sintsov

Of course, if you include Patronyms for the 2 Anastasias, it would look odd if you did not do the same for Alexei as well. Thus:

Anastasia V. Gubanova
Anastasia A. Gubanova & Alexei O. Sintsov

Or:

Anastasia Vitalievna Gubanova
Anastasia Andreyevna Gubanova & Alexei Olegovich Sintsov

But, including the full patronyms for both skaters in the Pairs partnership makes the title very cluttered. So, perhaps the initials would be better after all if the Patronym approach was being applied to both of them.

Another approach (which is the one I originally thought of) would be to include the years they were born in the thread titles. This is how they would look:

Anastasia Gubanova (2002)
Anastasia Gubanova (2000) & Alexei Sintsov

The problem with this is that, if you didn't already have an idea of the ages of the girls in question, these numbers could mean anything! So, if you were to go down this route, it might be a better idea to indicate that these are the years of birth:

Anastasia Gubanova (born 2002)
Anastasia Gubanova (born 2000) & Alexei Sintsov

Or (with an initial instead of the word):

Anastasia Gubanova (b. 2002)
Anastasia Gubanova (b. 2000) & Alexei Sintsov

Personally, now that I see it, I think it looks weird having a number in the title.

A futher idea would just be to include the category that the girls are competing in in the title:

Anastasia Gubanova (Singles Skater)
Anastasia Gubanova (Pairs Skater) & Alexei Sintsov

But, that would make things complicated if the younger Anastasia ever decided to take up Pairs, or if the older one decided to do Singles.

All in all, if you do feel that there is a need to distinguish the 2 Anastasia in the thread titles (and I do feel there is a need to do so), I think the best option would be to include the Patronyms.

But, it's just an idea.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I saw you need one for Peter Liebers, will do one soon,

after I added the interviews and stuff ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Might as well add Nicole Schott, but first I will ask someone else as she knows her pretty well and maybe she wants to do it ;)

tulosai

Record Breaker
There is a section of Fan Fests called Teams. Right now those teams are for countries (Latvia,Australia, for example) or for young skaters from a country (Promising Young etc) but there is no reason at all that there can't be a Team Mishin or a Team Koro.

Any section of skating that you want a fan fest for, please start a fan fest!

After all, there is a Skater's Pets fan fest. Anything is fine :).

This is your forum. We just try to make it possible to find things in it and keep it running without too many food fights.

Would this still be okay? I notice none of these ever got created and there are quite a few coaches I am a fan of...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would this still be okay? I notice none of these ever got created and there are quite a few coaches I am a fan of...

I say do it but in case you missed it there was a 7k thread created that is basically a team Koro thread.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now we go to a Public Service Announcement.

Three weeks ago, a large number of junior skaters came up for adoption. It is now a week since the Junior Grand Prix Series came to an end, and unfortunately the majority of these kids are still waiting for somebody to come along and show them some love.

So, I am appealing to my fellow Golden Skate members to open your arms to these youngsters.

Over the past few months, I have become the adoptive father to 13 skaters, and I also have a 14[SUP]th[/SUP] on the way. So, my hands are rather full with all these children I already have! :laugh:

But I would definitely encourage anybody that is dithering over adopting a skater to go for it. It is a very fulfilling experience.

Here is the list of the young skaters that came up for adoption 3 weeks ago:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...pt-an-Orphan&p=1229869&viewfull=1#post1229869

Please note, the following skaters from that list have already found loving adoptive parents:

Yuna Shiraiwa
Deniss Vasiļjevs
Alla Loboda & Pavel Drozd
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko

So, please show the other kids some love. You will not regret it!

CaroLiza_fan

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan. You are too awesome. Thank you for being such a lovely fan. :)