Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She has worked with the best coaches out there. You think a few sessions with Mishin is going to turn her career around when she worked with Frank for years?

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I don't see why it is so negative in some people opinion. Even though she doesn't sit and doesn't pretend everything is ok, but some critize her? I'm very fond of that! I'm sure he can help her somehow. Switching coaches seems unprobable but still it is great experience.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She isn't "working with Mishin." He and some of his skaters (including Liza T.) traveled to Colorado Springs to train for a week. Mirai probably got one lesson or maybe just some pointers.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Again, what harm is it going to do?

We don't all have to agree that taking lessons from Mishin for a week is going to make her come out next season with a 3A and fully-rotated triples. As far as harm, she is putting potentially irreversible wear-and-tear on her aging body and missing out on things like the college experience by continuing on a career that isn't going to match what she accomplished as a teenager.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
We don't all have to agree that taking lessons from Mishin for a week is going to make her come out next season with a 3A and fully-rotated triples. As far as harm, she is putting potentially irreversible wear-and-tear on her aging body and missing out on things like the college experience by continuing on a career that isn't going to match what she accomplished as a teenager.

wow that is quite a definitive and harsh opinion. I don't get it.
Nobody thinks that she is gonna get a triple axel or miraculously begin to jump like Liza Tuktit. But people hope that whatever Mishin told her in their time together can help her improve. Or even if it doesn't, as people say, it can't harm her skating at this point.

Also the girl is 22. It is not that old even in skating age. She can still improve. Look at Kostner, Suzuki or even Sergei Voronov. They all blossomed pretty late in their career. It doesn't mean Mirai will, but it is possible.

She's most probably never going to medal at big competitions but well, most of the skaters participating never get to! It doesn't mean she can't put out good performances and maybe medal again at Nationals or at some GP etc.

I guess Mirai (or any athlete really) is very conscious of the other opportunities she misses or the pressure she puts on her body because she stubbornly keeps skating. If she continues to be a competitive skater, it is because she wants to.
I am not even a fan of Mirai but I admire her relentless dedication to the sport she loves

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't see why people keep criticizing Mirai. If she wants to continue competing, that's her business. We all know the USFS does not do her any favors, but even with her URs and edge issues, she continues to score well enough to earn international assignments. And she is making improvements. Even if the URs continue to be an issue and she never makes another World or Olympic team, does it really matter? 2 or 3 girls in the US make the World/Olympics team each year, does that mean everyone else should just give up and quit? Mirai isn't embarrassing herself or anyone else by continuing to compete, she is still competitive at the National level and capable of winning medals at GP and international B events. Even with that awful fall at Nationals that clearly affected her, she was still 10th overall, and in the SP with the 2nd half of her combo URed, she was 4th! I know she was better and a world medal threat 5 years ago but that was her prime and that's sometimes how the sport works. She's still a good skater and clearly likes to skate so maybe she's doing it for herself.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I don't see why people keep criticizing Mirai. If she wants to continue competing, that's her business. We all know the USFS does not do her any favors, but even with her URs and edge issues, she continues to score well enough to earn international assignments. And she is making improvements. Even if the URs continue to be an issue and she never makes another World or Olympic team, does it really matter? 2 or 3 girls in the US make the World/Olympics team each year, does that mean everyone else should just give up and quit? Mirai isn't embarrassing herself or anyone else by continuing to compete, she is still competitive at the National level and capable of winning medals at GP and international B events. Even with that awful fall at Nationals that clearly affected her, she was still 10th overall, and in the SP with the 2nd half of her combo URed, she was 4th! I know she was better and a world medal threat 5 years ago but that was her prime and that's sometimes how the sport works. She's still a good skater and clearly likes to skate so maybe she's doing it for herself.

No one is saying she should quit. People are just saying they don't think this will change her results--which I agree with. She should keep skating for herself as I don't see her position in US Skating changing.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Cute IG of Mirai and Mishin! What an honor for her to receive advise from Mishin, he is such a great coach, no wonder
she has a huge smile on her face. IMO if Mirai wants to continue to compete why not, she is still young and believes she
can improve and it is not like the other US ladies are racking up the medals.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And she is making improvements.

This is objectively false. For every one thing she improves, perhaps two or three things degrade. Her competitive record can be seen here if you scroll down to her results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirai_Nagasu

The international field was much weaker this season with Yuna, Mao, Caro and Adelina out, and Julia far off her form from the Olympic season. Nonetheless, she had her worst season at least since 2008-09.

She is not embarrassing herself by any means but, as UnsaneLily87 said, it isn't going to change her results.

LRK

Record Breaker

No, we don't - has anyone actually said this? And all this gloom & doom - because of said week of training with Mishin? All that wear & tear on her poor "aging body" (honestly, you'd think she had suffered as many injuries or was as old as Plushy himself!) in one week? I don't understand the excessive and energetic negativity, to be honest. If she hadn't trained with Mishin - she would have quitted skating? (shrug)

Personally, I'll go on thinking tha this might do her some good - and that, at worst, it won't make any difference. So, in other words, no harm.

LRK

Record Breaker
No one is saying she should quit. People are just saying they don't think this will change her results--which I agree with. She should keep skating for herself as I don't see her position in US Skating changing.

Actually, I do think Drivingmissdaisy is saying exactly that, or how else to interprete: "she is putting potentially irreversible wear-and-tear on her aging body and missing out on things like the college experience by continuing on a career that isn't going to match what she accomplished as a teenager."?

Note: Correction welcome, of course, if I have misunderstood.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But you never know. It's just a guess to say her results won't change. She was in a good position to be on the podium at Nationals last year if she hadn't hurt herself on that fall. And the year before, she was the bronze medalist. She certainly still has the potential to move up and make the World team.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
But you never know. It's just a guess to say her results won't change. She was in a good position to be on the podium at Nationals last year if she hadn't hurt herself on that fall. And the year before, she was the bronze medalist. She certainly still has the potential to move up and make the World team.

But you can say that about everyone. Literally everyone. Every skater has the potential to improve. The whole point of a message board is to share your thoughts on the sport which includes your opinions about athletes. And my opinion is that as great as Mirai is, her best days are behind her.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, we don't - has anyone actually said this? And all this gloom & doom - because of said week of training with Mishin? All that wear & tear on her poor "aging body" (honestly, you'd think she had suffered as many injuries or was as old as Plushy himself!) in one week? I don't understand the excessive and energetic negativity, to be honest. If she hadn't trained with Mishin - she would have quitted skating? (shrug)

Personally, I'll go on thinking tha this might do her some good - and that, at worst, it won't make any difference. So, in other words, no harm.

Mirai has been injury-free as far as we know. And she is only 22! There is a lot to like in her skating. She is very flexible and has excellent spins and a beautiful Ina Bauer. Her double axel is the best of any current US lady. She can do difficult jumps combinations. Of course, under-rotations are a problem for her. That is what she needs to work on. Look how far someone like Ashley has come through sheer determination. It will be interesting to see how she does in her second season in a stable coaching situation. Any predictions are just conjecture.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But you can say that about everyone. Literally everyone. Every skater has the potential to improve. The whole point of a message board is to share your thoughts on the sport which includes your opinions about athletes. And my opinion is that as great as Mirai is, her best days are behind her.

I disagree that every skater has the potential to improve--or at least not to the level of potential that Mirai has. And again, it is just guesswork to simply say her best days are behind her or to predict she will improve to the point of being among the top three US ladies.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Actually, I do think Drivingmissdaisy is saying exactly that, or how else to interprete: "she is putting potentially irreversible wear-and-tear on her aging body and missing out on things like the college experience by continuing on a career that isn't going to match what she accomplished as a teenager."?

Note: Correction welcome, of course, if I have misunderstood.

If I were her I'd find something else to do, but that particular statement was in response to the comment was that continuing on is harmless. From the perspective of finance, health, and opportunity cost, continuing a career in Mirai's position does require acknowledging those things. Skating at this level isn't simply a hobby, but something that requires commitment which prevents a person from pursuing anything else. I've read on these boards that she's improving, that she's clearly the 3rd best American, etc. and if she were to read these boards she should know that not everyone agrees.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
If I were her I'd find something else to do, but that particular statement was in response to the comment was that continuing on is harmless. From the perspective of finance, health, and opportunity cost, continuing a career in Mirai's position does require acknowledging those things. Skating at this level isn't simply a hobby, but something that requires commitment which prevents a person from pursuing anything else. I've read on these boards that she's improving, that she's clearly the 3rd best American, etc. and if she were to read these boards she should know that not everyone agrees.

Why should she care what some random stranger on a skating forum thinks about what she wants to do with her life?