Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
partial run-through is now on youtube!

THOSE LIFTS *izdead*
:dbana:

what striked me the most about this partial FD run-through is how musically sensitive the choreography is, how well it incorporates the jazzy/seductive vibe of music, how fluid, rhythmic all moves and elements are. This is really Piper/Paul's signature now for me to have one of the most innovative, musical, original and well put together choreography, if not the most of aforesaid. There is that great play on the theme of the music, program, achieving that 'vintage', original sound of it, but being modern and choreography-conscious about it. Lifts and all choreo elements are insane indeed, but I expected nothing less from masters of originality!

nimi

Medalist
what striked me the most about this partial FD run-through is how musically sensitive the choreography is, how well it incorporates the jazzy/seductive vibe of music, how fluid, rhythmic all moves and elements are. This is really Piper/Paul's signature now for me to have one of the most innovative, musical, original and well put together choreography, if not the most of aforesaid. There is that great play on the theme of the music, program, achieving that 'vintage', original sound of it, but being modern and choreography-conscious about it. Lifts and all choreo elements are insane indeed, but I expected nothing less from masters of originality!
Well put!

This is a good example of a moment that's both musically sensitive AND fills the requirements for lift levels (difficult entry): https://youtu.be/YVpDY4u2b8Q?t=2m29s

Same thing with the lifts in the last season's tango FD: not only did they have a wow-factor and got the levels, but they were actually in character and in keeping with the music and the mood and an integral part of the program (and not just pasted on the program like you often see).

slider11

Medalist
Watched Piper and Paul's FD at the Autumn Classic. At first I was not feeling it but it grew on me. Definitely different. After having time to absorb P/P and watch Tessa and Scott, I have to say I enjoy Piper and Paul's better. That'll get the Tessa/Scott fans fuming! I applaud Piper and Paul for constantly coming up with unique and interesting themes and moves. Sorry T/S fans but I keep seeing the same moves recycled in their programs with maybe a slight variation here and there.

nimi

Medalist
I think the FD needs quite a bit more work and more detail (I mean of course, it's only September...) but it sure looks very promising!

If you forget about V/M's monster scores and look at how P2 were scored in comparison to WeaPo -- who looked somewhat tentative on both days but didn't make any glaring, disruptive errors -- there was less than a point between them both in SD and in FD! (In PCS, the difference was around one-and-a-half points.)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I want to congratulate Piper and Paul on a very strong debut of their programs - I think that is quite an achievement to fit the Ice Dance world without losing their unique identity. They sure stood out by both programs, from performance and concept sides. As a fan of good skating, originality, having an identity within it, I can say that I'm a fan of all Canadian top teams - I consider each of them as a strong, valuable one due to their differences, the contrast in styles, perspectives, way of performing in them. Piper and Paul are definitely bringing always something new, innovative and unique to the table - I know that this is not universally praised, but for me they should never compromise in that just for sake of humouring more people around. I allowed myself to re-post my thoughts from ACI threads on both their dances:

With Gilles/Poirier, the represent a school of performance that is totally different from everything we see in Ice Dance today - and that makes them special and cherished in my eyes, as I am a seeker for any kind of quirk, originality and 'out-there' factor, especially done in such masterful, thoughtful way. And this thoughtfulness is actually an advantage, a virtue for me (being probably in minority) - I think that having such clear concept made and prepared execution-wise allows spectators to focus fully on performance, how it develops, not exactly on sole idea behind it. Moreover - I do believe that analysing their prepared concept of a program is the last thing they want to see from audience; they do their research, find inspiration, prepare concept, the tools to pull it off with such care and thought to come towards people with ready to go program and try to sell it as a performance in action. And I personally buy it completely - not only there is a bold, clear idea behind this SD, but there's that trademark quirk in it, done so tastefully and with 'tongue-in-cheek' vibe I feel. There is a lot of things together that could go very wrong I think (similarly to their Disco SD last season actually): specific music, that vintage feel of it, costume change, this certain way of movement/style they used, expression, but somehow it all work for them. As for way/style of movement - big kudos to choreographers for going bold and really reflecting the musical vibe into movement, transitions. For me, Piper and Paul really stood out with this bouncing action emphasised thorough whole dance, this subtle yet sharp rhythmic accentuation in all elements and knee-bending effort to achieve that flow-y, bouncy vibe of music in 1st part of the dance especially. I really love the flow, easy on eyes quality of that dance, its insane musicality, care about little details, body control. And that little sleeves appearance - very cheeky and right into quirk alley, only adding this 'oomph' to the wholesome, this much-needed spice. Saying all of that - I do understand that for some it could be too weird, too quirky, too conceptual and idea-centric, but myself, I'd rather see more of those with bold idea behind them than a bunch of similar Latin wannabes without identity.

In contrast to WeaPo, Piper and Paul felt more stronger in terms of executing their concept, overall FD felt much more polished, and ready-to-go for me. I think that the clever - and of course cool - thing is that they are totally 'Guardians of innovation' season after season: there is always something new in their choreography, how it reflects the music, which is challenging/daring for both them and audience. Those lifts are INSANITY - the complex factor is still visible in them though, but I believe that the goal is to make them smooth and effortless and to see only their musicality, not their difficulty. The first thing that caught my attention while watching this FD is how strong the concept is behind that dance is, how well they seem to play with emotion, convention, expression thorough the dance while taking care of the execution and having a decent level of control already in that. Aside of working out kinks of that program, making it more polished, sleek and elegant-looking as a whole (I mean - feeling the novelty/originality of the dance, but not in obvious, in-your-face way) I feel that they need to be more 'sound' while performing it, not necessary loud in regards of character. Comparing this FD to last season Tango FD, I feel that this year's one is more based on the originality/quirk of characters and story portrayed, while Tango was more about showing the originality of that particular genre of dance, the identity of it translated onto ice. That said makes in my opinion their new FD more difficult to succeed as a whole package, more difficult to sell to the audiences - there is just more quirk and this intricacy not only into movement, but also in acting/presentation; the concept feels very custom-made and individual, whereas Tango FD felt more like original spin on already existing idea out there, which was them more accessible in my opinion. This time, it looks like they challenged themselves concept-wise a lot more than last year (which was super challenging already...) - and personally, I love that they are not compromising in anything while chasing that full consummation/devotion into program presented, no matter of what is the program. I already love the styling (as usual with them), the whole demeanor of sensual mystery put onto the story and performance and this understated sophistication touch about everything. As I said, there is a way to go in terms of put more definition over being those characters on ice, but I was very intrigued and excited from what I saw already.

beki

Medalist
Just caught up on their Rostelecom performances. I think Piper and Paul are so cool. They have a clear identity on the ice and it's so great to see. I could see some roughness in their FD skate but I liked the program more than earlier in the season. It sounded like the crowd reaction was pretty good even though the Russian teams came out on top. At first I thought this wouldn't be as good as Hitchcock but now I get it.

reneerose

Final Flight
I like the SD and FD, but I wish they had different music for the SD because I keep thinking of Perry Mason when they skate and that's not really what I want brought to mind when watching that program. I wish they could have had last season's programs be this season's programs instead. That choice of music for the SD I'm not sure flies well in Olympic season. i love them and want them to do well so bad!

nimi

Medalist
I like the SD and FD, but I wish they had different music for the SD because I keep thinking of Perry Mason when they skate and that's not really what I want brought to mind when watching that program. I wish they could have had last season's programs be this season's programs instead. That choice of music for the SD I'm not sure flies well in Olympic season. i love them and want them to do well so bad!
You meant to write FD and not SD, right?

I'm okay with the FD music (and feel that it's mostly some of the "in-between" choreo that needs more work & further detail) but it seems like quite a few posters both here & on FSU have a problem either with the Perry Mason theme or the quieter, slower non-PM part of the program in the middle. I wouldn't be surprised if P2 do end up doing some changes in the music cut, considering how they went for the big music revamp of their Beatles SD late in the season.

reneerose

Final Flight
You meant to write FD and not SD, right?

I'm okay with the FD music (and feel that it's mostly some of the "in-between" choreo that needs more work & further detail) but it seems like quite a few posters both here & on FSU have a problem either with the Perry Mason theme or the quieter, slower non-PM part of the program in the middle. I wouldn't be surprised if P2 do end up doing some changes in the music cut, considering how they went for the big music revamp of their Beatles SD late in the season.
Yeah I mean the SD. I'm so sad that they aren't higher in points for the GPF.

slider11

Medalist
Just reported by Jackie Wong that Piper and Paul have changed their FD to a James Bond number and will unveil at the Canadian Nationals. I'm a little nervous about that! I suppose if it's just the music and they can keep their elements and probably costumes, it might work. But alot of pressure to work out the kinks of a new number. I suppose they have a healthy hold on the #3 spot in Canada, presuming Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje are a lock. Stay tuned!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Ok wow...
Did not see that coming, but I feel excited about the change - if that's not the proof of them being conscious about reception of their programs and that they are willing to push themselves competitively/adjust to external feedback, I don't know what it is... I have no doubt that they still will serve something original and interesting, which is their signature and James Bond theme sounds right in their alley... I totalny see them in character and with program design also matching it.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It's good that they decided to change their Free Dance. Their first Free Dance wasn't getting the results from the judges that they needed.

The new James Bond Free Dance has potential and I look forward to seeing it.

But I also think Piper & Paul might want to consider a coaching change at the end of this season if they want to do another Olympic cycle. I think they've probably gone as far as they can with Carol Lane. I think they would benefit from a fresh training environment and a new coaching team.

slider11

Medalist
It's good that they decided to change their Free Dance. Their first Free Dance wasn't getting the results from the judges that they needed.

The new James Bond Free Dance has potential and I look forward to seeing it.

But I also think Piper & Paul might want to consider a coaching change at the end of this season if they want to do another Olympic cycle. I think they've probably gone as far as they can with Carol Lane. I think they would benefit from a fresh training environment and a new coaching team.

I would like to see them stick with the Lanes but I would like to see at least one other top team or potential top team join them.