Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, I am not sure WHAT to think about that SD. I think if they had used a bit more of the Lucy song, it wouldn't come across so gimmicky. You gotta love the costumes though, and I adore the pseudo-military-marching steps incorporated into the choreography, which absolutely made me giggle each time they used them.

They are NEVER boring.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I almost posted the same thing. It's such a cool song with so many good parts and to be honest...why go to the trouble of playing the part so well via those costumes if your hardley going to use the song. Loved the peace signs in the end and the skating was good to.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm, I am not sure WHAT to think about that SD. I think if they had used a bit more of the Lucy song, it wouldn't come across so gimmicky. You gotta love the costumes though, and I adore the pseudo-military-marching steps incorporated into the choreography, which absolutely made me giggle each time they used them.

They are NEVER boring.

I'm getting more excited to go to Skate America now!

TMC

Record Breaker

They are NEVER boring.

I loved those too, and I was so happy that they used them more than once :laugh:

So far, I looooooove their FD but I'm very undecided about this SD. I will need to let it grow on me I suppose.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Yeah, not sure what to say about that SD... Well, here are some immediate thoughts... they need to loose the Beatles at the beginning and end. Loosing the Beatles at the end will also get rid of that ridiculous peace sign final pose... ugh...and for goodness sake change your costumes. They are awful and too distracting to the viewer. There are times when Less is More, this would be one of those times.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, not sure what to say about that SD... Well, here are some immediate thoughts... they need to loose the Beatles at the beginning and end. Loosing the Beatles at the end will also get rid of that ridiculous peace sign final pose... ugh...and for goodness sake change your costumes. They are awful and too distracting to the viewer. There are times when Less is More, this would be one of those times.

I respect your opinion, but I would like to say a few things for clarification on why the costume, etc...

The costumes are a tribute the cover of Stg. Pepper. Which is the album that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds comes from. If you look at the album you'll see it.

And it's a bit of a tribute in my opinion using the peace sign since John Lennon was all about peace.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I respect your opinion, but I would like to say a few things for clarification on why the costume, etc...

The costumes are a tribute the cover of Stg. Pepper. Which is the album that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds comes from. If you look at the album you'll see it.

And it's a bit of a tribute in my opinion using the peace sign since John Lennon was all about peace.

I agree... in terms of tributes, it fits very well... but I don't think the SD waltz assignment is the place to do it. They could have done their FD around a Beatles tribute, made it a theme and done their FD in that style.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I like it. I think I'd like it even more if there was a little more LITSWD at the end. But it's like a fever dream... or trip. :laugh: Not boring at least.

Barb

Record Breaker
I agree... in terms of tributes, it fits very well... but I don't think the SD waltz assignment is the place to do it. They could have done their FD around a Beatles tribute, made it a theme and done their FD in that style.

Well, if Elena and Ruslan are going with Queen and W/P with Elvis P. which is the problem with G/P?. Of the top teams I think only Shibs are doing a very traditional waltz.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well, if Elena and Ruslan are going with Queen and W/P with Elvis P. which is the problem with G/P?. Of the top teams I think only Shibs are doing a very traditional waltz.

Because persons are still coming to grips with the fact that the rules actually allow the ice dancers to deviate from tradition. The problem really isn't with G/P but the actual fans. I welcome the variety. In future seasons they may not be given that freedom and we'll have to sit through at least 30 traditional waltzes come EC or WC. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The problem is not with music choice being nontraditional, it is with having a beat of something other than three quarter time during the waltz pattern dance.. The rules require the waltz section of the program to be to a waltz time signature and the correct number beats per minute for the pattern dance assigned. . Piper and Paul's number is fine on that score.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Because persons are still coming to grips with the fact that the rules actually allow the ice dancers to deviate from tradition. The problem really isn't with G/P but the actual fans. I welcome the variety. In future seasons they may not be given that freedom and we'll have to sit through at least 30 traditional waltzes come EC or WC. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :biggrin:

I guess I must be more of a traditionalist, but to me G/P's dance looked off. I don't care if the beat technically works, something just doesn't fit. I suppose that is why I am not a fan of eclectic decor either. I don't like mixing styles. It is rare that I find eclectic decor that works, more often than not I walk into an eclectically decorated place and think there is something off. Then I realize what it is, the new and the old doesn't fit together well. It is very rare that someone is successful in their eclectic decor. I feel the same about this. So, in answer to chapis too, I haven't seen their SDs yet, but it is possible that for me, this season may be full of ill fitted eclectic SDs.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
But for the non-ice dance tech expert like me, it will be a lot more interesting than 30 Strauss waltzes! ;)

slider11

Medalist
Amen! It is so refreshing to see an innovative SD like this. I was so sick of the Latin gyrations and over-the-top costumes and facial expressions last year. I like a good Latin dance but they all seem to come out of the same can last year. I really like the more original approach that Piper and Paul are taking along with others. Bravo! I hope they are doing a B event before SA. It would be good to get some official feedback.
But for the non-ice dance tech expert like me, it will be a lot more interesting than 30 Strauss waltzes! ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Amen! It is so refreshing to see an innovative SD like this. I was so sick of the Latin gyrations and over-the-top costumes and facial expressions last year. I like a good Latin dance but they all seem to come out of the same can last year. I really like the more original approach that Piper and Paul are taking along with others. Bravo! I hope they are doing a B event before SA. It would be good to get some official feedback.

They do. They are assigned to Ondrej Nepela Trophy.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Hey I'm the first one on here to applaud when teams think out of the box and innovate. The problem I have isn't with the non-traditional approach; it's with the fact that the LitSwD's are merely snippets that appear to be tacked on to the beginning and end of the dance. It's a very cool first music cut, but the second use of Lucy is so short that it does appear to be there as a gimmick.

YMMV of course.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I agree that it would have made a great FD for them. Perhaps the best skaters don't need the gimmicks .Let the skating do the talking!I much prefer P/I ballet SD and H/D Hallelujah.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I LOVE them.... so innovative... I cannot wait to see how these programs develop.... as of course, it's really early in the season and they aren't yet reaching out much to the audience or connected enough with the music (their choreography though is connecting fine with the music)

I have way more issues with the musical choice for the FD which I find a bit dull than with the SD musical selection.... I think the Beatles goes smoothly into the Baroque suite by Rameau ... for me the fanfare aspect, the baroque 3/4 rhythm and the choreography make it work...

I loved some of the innovative positions in the FD but just couldn't deal with the boring musical piece... actually, i just listened to it and do not remember any of it... the twizzles in that position are so cool, and some of the lifts too.... I hope they find a way to make me appreciate this musical piece though

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I think what I love most about their FD is that they are the focus, not the music. I find the music a perfect compliment to their mood, expression and innovative moves. It let's them be the stars and doesn't rely heavily on the emotion of the music. It will be interesting to see how both the SD and FD are received by the judges. Thanks for the update on the B event - can't wait for Nepala.