Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

slider11

Medalist
Piper and Paul continue to make steady progress with their innovative and technically skilled skating. I see them as making their move at the right time. Papadakis and Cizeron are still the team to beat but the next couple years could become very interesting in the dance world.

LynsJ

On the Ice
Amazing result! I’ve watched it 3 times already. [emoji23][emoji23] free skates are definitely their thing! There choreography is always so innovative [emoji178]

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
congratulations to them! the FD may not be my cup of tea but they deserved the gold

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
An interview with Piper on On The Loop podcast!

https://podcasts.apple.com/pl/podcast/in-the-loop/id1384452913?l=pl&i=1000454879239

Not the best audio quality but I’m halfway through and it’s really interesting!

Thank you so much for posting this. I wondered why they seemed to dumb down the program content, and now I know it's because of "skating for the people." While I don't think they're giving "the people" enough credit for being able to appreciate fresh and different and (yes) quirky points of views and programs, I understand that they do want to be more accessible. That's not an unhappy compromise. And actually I could see that direction in their skating since they redid The Beatles SD with its soon to be Maple March Pattern. The original was a wonderful quirky mix of parodies of things like French court dances with more contemporary styles, but it was a joke you needed to know about dance history in order to really appreciate. And the change to a sprightly Beatles SD was genius--it really is one of their true masterpieces.

(For the record, I would call that Beatles SD, Vincent, and--most of all--Hitchcock FDs their true masterpieces.)

Interesting that they thought in terms of recovering from a bad romance as the genesis of the program. I took it for a more general point of view about life, that one can know so much and so little at the same time. But the one thing I didn't mention in my analysis of their dance (which I am going to post on this thread because it will get lost in the Skate Canada thread now that it's over), is hope. It's ultimately a program about hope: that you can be resigned to the fact that life and love are difficult but still have hope, and still get on with the complicated business of living.

ETA: I just rewatched it and had to mention the K&C, which was just joyous to watch. After all the No Ways! and Oh My Gods! Carol leans into them and says, "Well that was quite good."

LOL! Yes, Carol, it was. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So this was my analysis of their new FD at Skate Canada:

The first time I saw this at a Senior B, I was so completely disappointed by it. The two phrases that kept running through my mind as I watched it was "pandering" (for a medal) and "dumbed down." I had disliked the Vincent program for the same reasons when I first saw it, though my reaction this time was much more uhm emotionally fueled. I love Joni Mitchell. I think her songwriting is right up there with Bob Dylan, and I COULD NOT BELIEVE in a music catalog as rich and varied as Joni's they chose to skate to this. And not even the original, but to the "Joni shows you what smoking pack after pack after pack of unfiltered Camel cigarettes does to the human voice" version.

So now what do I think? Honestly, this program reminds me of one that might surprise you: Tessa and Scott's Sochi FD, their "farewell to our skating career and thanks for the memories" program. Same wistful, nostalgic vibe. I do think this works better than that program, because it is nostalgic without BEING ABOUT nostalgia. You can't get more emotionally mature than this program. It's all about accepting life's hard lessons and realizing that for all you know, you really don't know anything about life's mysteries. That's a VERY hard theme to pull off. I'm not quite sure they have, but I do think their gentle approach is the ONLY approach that would work. Tessa and Scott tried the hard sell...and it just didn't work.

I still think there's a big element of pandering in this program. They have pretty much eliminated ALL of the quirkiness I have loved since they started skating together. The only truly quirky move in the program is the straight line lift, where she lies on top of his back. But the rest? It's about as straight faced as a preacher. OK, fair enough. I can accept that is the approach they are going for. And they restructured the entire opening to reflect that. It's a waltz. A pure waltz beat. And it maintains that instrumental waltz beat until the dance spin starts right on the same beat as the vocals. That's choreography. That's why I harp about choreography so much, because it's the marriage of movement and music and rhythm and melody and, in this case, vocals that makes a dance more than the sum of its parts. Another good example would be a gorgeous transitional spread eagle in a complicated hold after the combo lift. Or the hand to head head-roll Piper does on the "and they shake their heads and tell me that I've changed" line (that's how you USE a lyric rather than letting the lyric do the work for you). Ah the other quirk move: during the CCSS the lift by head. And the double cartwheel choreo-lift to close out the program.

You can't skate choreography like that unless you have wisdom and maturity and experience. I just don't think it would come off. It would be like E/B's Schindler's List program: pretty skating to pretty music. It's very very hard to skate a program that whispers to the audience rather than jumping up and down and yelling in its face. Hey, there's a place for that balls to the wall program too. Dance is a big world.

Do I think this is a masterpiece? No. But two things: I didn't think Vincent would turn out to be the masterpiece it is. And teams get very few programs in a career that are true masterpieces. Usually you're lucky if you have ONE. And even Vincent took pretty much the entire season to get to that point. But, second thing, like Vincent, this program has room to grow. I didn't think so the first time I saw it. But the changes they made have at least opened that up as a real possibility.

And it's a pleasure to see them getting some judge love for a change. Are they the best technical skaters in ID? Nope. But boy have they improved over the years. And nobody right now skates with more heart. They so remind me of Rahkamo and Kokko, who also were true innovators and did not get any judge love until the end of their careers. But I'll tell you this...I REMEMBER R/K's programs more than the ones that won the big shiny medals. They moved me in ways the "winners" didn't.

Oh and I hope this makes people see why the costumes really are appropriate. This is a sepia-hued program, like an old photograph. But this being ID, you do need some glitz. Autumn glitz. Or, to quote rollerblade, Pumpkin Spice Latte with sprinkles.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On a minor detail, Piper got a Level 4 on the one-foot step at SCI. That's a rare achievement for anybody.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Piper did a really long interview with Edges of Glory.

Of note, she says that the March will be the junior pattern in the 2021/22 season, and discusses the process of developing it for that (leaving room for skaters to vary things up); also, she says the rumour is that the senior pattern that year will be Midnight Blues again.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was at SC in person and finally have a moment to share my thoughts. Sorry this is so late! I had extended work travel both before and after SC, so it’s been hard for me to post (and keep up/get caught up with the other Grand Prix competitions).

The absolute standout for me of the entire competition at SC (across all disciplines) was Piper and Paul’s FD (though I loved their RD too). In contrast to seeing Vincent in person at SC in Montreal last season, I really had no particular expectations of BSN. Even though I did like the new program at ACI (not in person), and thought it had great potential, I didn’t have the visceral emotional response to it that I had when I saw their debut of Vincent at senior B last season. So my reaction to seeing it live at SC took me completely by surprise. For me personally, it created one of those rare “moments” that I will always treasure. So quiet and beautiful and seamless — everything from their movements and expressions to their costumes blended effortlessly. But the program/performance wasn’t just superficially pretty, as underneath there was a complexity of emotion and intensity and expression....It’s hard for me to describe, and others do it far more justice in words (e.g., WeakAnkles, NoNameFace, to name a couple). Suffice it to say, their performance brought me to tears, and I almost didn’t realize that was happening. (Mrs. P and I got to sit together for the FD, which was such fun, especially seeing our respective favorites do so well. I turned to her after Piper and Paul’s performance and said something like, I’m such a sap, I really need a tissue lol.) Their placement was icing on the cake, as I fully expected (as they probably did) that they wouldn’t win. I know they will evolve and adjust the program as the season goes along, but I almost wish that they wouldn’t change a thing. It was that magical at SC.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I was at SC in person and finally have a moment to share my thoughts. Sorry this is so late! I had extended work travel both before and after SC, so it’s been hard for me to post (and keep up/get caught up with the other Grand Prix competitions).

The absolute standout for me of the entire competition at SC (across all disciplines) was Piper and Paul’s FD (though I loved their RD too). In contrast to seeing Vincent in person at SC in Montreal last season, I really had no particular expectations of BSN. Even though I did like the new program at ACI (not in person), and thought it had great potential, I didn’t have the visceral emotional response to it that I had when I saw their debut of Vincent at senior B last season. So my reaction to seeing it live at SC took me completely by surprise. For me personally, it created one of those rare “moments” that I will always treasure. So quiet and beautiful and seamless — everything from their movements and expressions to their costumes blended effortlessly. But the program/performance wasn’t just superficially pretty, as underneath there was a complexity of emotion and intensity and expression....It’s hard for me to describe, and others do it far more justice in words (e.g., WeakAnkles, NoNameFace, to name a couple). Suffice it to say, their performance brought me to tears, and I almost didn’t realize that was happening. (Mrs. P and I got to sit together for the FD, which was such fun, especially seeing our respective favorites do so well. I turned to her after Piper and Paul’s performance and said something like, I’m such a sap, I really need a tissue lol.) Their placement was icing on the cake, as I fully expected (as they probably did) that they wouldn’t win. I know they will evolve and adjust the program as the season goes along, but I almost wish that they wouldn’t change a thing. It was that magical at SC.

Your words are heartfelt and honest and (cue music please) who could ask for anything more?

:agree: