Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

humbaba

Final Flight
I'm sad G/P didn't make it to the GPF. Their off-beat programs would provide a nice contrast to all the draaamahhhh.....

slider11

Medalist
Just watched Piper and Paul in their 4CC FD. Wonderful! I could see their disappointment that they didn't hit 100. Use the Shibs as your inspiration! They were struggling in the 90s at the beginning of this season. It took an appreciative audience to wake up the judges at NHK and then again at the GPFs. Not everyone is toe-tapping to their dances this year-especially the SD. But I happen to love both and applaud their innovation and technique. I do not see the deficiencies that some point towards Piper. I think she has grown tremendously in her skills and they both relate really well on the ice. I hope they can retain their 6th place finish this year but that might be hard with some popular Russians. But I remain optimistic and still hope for some good responses from audiences and judges in Boston.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Use the Shibs as your inspiration! They were struggling in the 90s at the beginning of this season. It took an appreciative audience to wake up the judges at NHK and then again at the GPFs.
Shibutanis got just slightly over 90 only at their first competition of the season, The Nepela Trophy. They reworked their FD, and it was well over a 100 at all competitions from then on, beginning already with Skate Canada. So it's not a correct comparison. Gilles/Poirier have just one competiton left this season to get over 100.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Shibutanis got just slightly over 90 only at their first competition of the season, The Nepela Trophy. They reworked their FD, and it was well over a 100 at all competitions from then on, beginning already with Skate Canada. So it's not a correct comparison. Gilles/Poirier have just one competiton left this season to get over 100.

Deleted.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think Gilles/Poirier can still look to the Shibs. Their season now is sort of like what the Shibs went through last season with struggling to hit past 100 in the FD until they did it at 4CC and Worlds. The Shibs did do it at two senior Bs last season, but a lot of people don't count those, especially when they got a 96 at Skate America and then a 92 at Cup of China and then a 95 at the GPF.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist

My comparison of Piper and Paul to the Shibs is more qualitative than quantitative. My point is that G/P can take heart that judges are no longer forever placing teams in a certain order. There is a good chance for higher movement with the right improvement and performance. The Shibs were stuck for years (since their 2011 bronze worlds) in the 5-10th place. I'm presuming Piper and Paul will hang in there through the Olympics. I just hope they don't revert to some more traditional dance just to try to win the judges. I don't think they will. Carol Lane is smart enough to know that their innovation is what will set them apart.

billyspark

Rinkside
Hello, I saw G/P skate at the four continents last weekend in Taipei. Having watched their SD, I am now their fan. I actually watched them skate at last year's four continents. Why didn't I love them? Anyway I really like their skating. I really hope they do well at Worlds in Boston....!!!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm a big WeaPo and Shibs fan, but since the Nationals, I really love to watch Piper and Paul. I wish them well too.

billyspark

Rinkside
I'm a big WeaPo and Shibs fan, but since the Nationals, I really love to watch Piper and Paul. I wish them well too.

Me too, my love has been toward WeaverPoje & VirtueMoir, but wow.... Gilles Poirier... Well, wait a minute. All my favourites are Canadian teams!!!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Class! I said in a different thread that I always go for Canadians first. I made that pledge aged 12 as a mad Toller Cranston fan! I'm a bit more flexible now, but by and large...I still follow that line :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just dropping this here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDG8tqWEPTS/

OK, so it's not Piper, it's Alexe. And I have already posted this link elsewhere on the forum. But, given the music that Piper and Paul are using for their Short Dance this season, I thought it would be appropriate to post it here.

Seems both twins have good taste in music then! ;) :biggrin:

All the best to Piper and Paul in Boston!

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Just dropping this here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDG8tqWEPTS/

OK, so it's not Piper, it's Alexe. And I have already posted this link elsewhere on the forum. But, given the music that Piper and Paul are using for their Short Dance this season, I thought it would be appropriate to post it here.

Seems both twins have good taste in music then! ;) :biggrin:

All the best to Piper and Paul in Boston!

CaroLiza_fan

Well, not anymore: https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/status/711291983847940096 :sad21: And I loved that SD!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, not anymore: https://twitter.com/PiperGilles/status/711291983847940096 :sad21: And I loved that SD!

Mmmm. That's disappointing. I thought it was fun. Especially with the way that Piper was dressed up as Ringo, and Paul was dessed up as Paul!

Although, I have to admit, I did prefer the version of the routine that they were using at the start of the season to the version they were using more recently.

Wondering what this new programme is going to be like...

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol .. i like the baroque music before... loved it ... but i m so pleased about how well they skated in the sd! YAY