Alexa Scimeca Knierim & Chris Knierim | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Alexa Scimeca Knierim & Chris Knierim

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:points: :hb: :yahoo: Thrilled to death that they made the podium. Their FS was beautiful. Now go build on this experience, guys. You have it all! Pull it all together and concentrate on those SBS jumps. Congratulations!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can y'all imagine if they ever put together a clean short and long???? I'd think they'd be in contention for any podium.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Have to say I am surprised they were on the podium here. They look way stronger. The throws are back!! Maybe Aljona really wasn't the right fit, I mean they look at lot better now.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Alexa and Chris on their FS win and Silver at Zagreb though tinged with sadness due to Ashley and Timothy's accident.. Happy for the former, prayers for the latter. Alexa and Chris have such beautiful moves and elements; I look forward to seeing those SBS jumps perfected. Their FP is beautiful and (as I've said before) that final lift is AMAZING!! :eeking: :luv17:

LynsJ

On the Ice
Such a pity their free skate went so wrong. I was really hoping they could do well at nationals. Hoping they come back better next season

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
So gutted for my favorite pairs team this time but Chris needs time to fix that wrist and heal so likely will be a long wait before we see them again. Given that the last lift in the FS was one-handed straight from the ice surface, it makes sense Chris just could not manage it with that injury. Even though he successfully managed that lift in earlier comps this season, I noticed he seemed drained and under stress, perhaps in pain though he hid it well. I wondered why he was not overjoyed when he did it successfully before. Take time, heal properly, and COME BACK STRONG!!!

gold12345

Medalist
I was a little surprised to see this. Wonder if their funding level from US Figure Skating changed.

https://www.gofundme.com/spring-amp-summer-training-expenses

Their funding has definitely changed, perhaps dramatically if USFS only follows the criteria. It's really unfortunate they were injured during Nationals. I wonder if USFS will make an exception for them given that they were in the Team A envelope this season. They're a very clear top 4 US pair, which should at least give them Team B-Tier 1 funding (which isn't very much), but the only way they're eligible for that Tier is if they remain in the top 12 in the Season's Best list. They're right on the bubble and don't have an opportunity to raise their score at 4CC/Worlds, where scores sometimes escalate. Unfortunately the funding criteria in the US is the same for every discipline-- a GP medal for a US pair tends to be more monumental than, say, a US man winning one. Alexa & Chris have the most GP medals among active US pairs, and they have more international potential than most US pairs. It's upsetting that a top US pair has lost a lot of their funding.

To anyone financially able, please consider donating to them. Even just tiny amounts could add up to something that could really help them. I know many skaters start GoFundMes and pairs is the least popular, but the life of a US pair skater is a particularly difficult one. Alexa & Chris are very talented, but they need time to train full-time without having to work too much on the side. As a US pair, they don't have the same opportunities to earn money as skaters in other disciplines. US shows like Stars on Ice typically shun pair skaters (which is very sad, pair elements are amazing to watch). In 2014, SOI had a US Olympic pair do part of the tour, but they've ignored pairs ever since, even though Alexa & Chris won an Olympic team medal and were popular faces during US Olympic television coverage. Any show opportunities for "couples" in the US go almost exclusively to ice dancers. And of course, any opportunities for them to earn prize money this season have also been cut short.

I don't know how many people visit the Pairs Fan Fest pages, but I hope enough people see this. If people could help them in any way, I'm sure it would mean a lot to them and could relieve them of some financial stress during a time when they deserve to concentrate on their skating. Skating (and rehabbing Chris's wrist) needs to be their full-time job, and I wish every skater with world level ability could focus on training without having to worry about how they were going to pay for it.

gold12345

Medalist
If it's allowed here... This is a link to Alexa & Chris's GoFundMe that Alexa posted yesterday. I think it will reach more people here than buried in the Fan Fest section. They've had a bit of a strange year, and after what happened to them at Nationals, it seems they're going to lose a lot of their funding. I'm not sure what kind of aid US Figure Skating gives their top skaters dealing with injury or difficult situations like training relocations, if any, but I feel bad for them. This is a top US pair with potential that needs to have the financial resources to train full-time without having to worry about taking on many other jobs.

https://www.gofundme.com/spring-amp-summer-training-expenses

I know quite a few people on this board like Alexa & Chris or find them entertaining in some way. Perhaps you might empathize with their current situation or enjoy following their journey. It costs $6 to become a member of this message board. If several people donated even just $5 to their GoFundMe, it could really add up and help them train as much as they need to. People seem shy about donating smaller amounts, but I think it's the thought that counts, and every little bit truly does help. As a pair team in a country that kind of treats pairs as second-class citizens, the Knierims don't have an opportunity to earn an income through shows during the offseason like skaters in the other disciplines do, even after winning an Olympic team medal and multiple national titles.

There's no question this pair has talent and ability, and I would like to see them at least have a chance to reach their potential. And that can only happen if they fully commit themselves to training. It sounds like they would love to go to another Olympics and improve on their first outing, which they're capable of doing so. Skaters at this level should be focusing on figure skating, not how to make ends meet. If anyone has a spare $5 or any other amount, please consider donating to one of the only internationally competitive pairs the US has. I'm sure it would mean a lot to them.

gold12345

Medalist
Strange. I posted about Alexa and Chris's GoFundMe on the main forum in the US Pairs thread but now I'm seeing my post here instead. Is talk about funding not allowed on the main forum? If so, what is the reasoning behind that? It's disappointing because it seems a lot less likely that people will read it here and be aware that they are in need of financial support. I know there are people who like the Knierims here, I just don't know how many of them visit this part of the forum.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Strange. I posted about Alexa and Chris's GoFundMe on the main forum in the US Pairs thread but now I'm seeing my post here instead. Is talk about funding not allowed on the main forum? If so, what is the reasoning behind that? It's disappointing because it seems a lot less likely that people will read it here and be aware that they are in need of financial support. I know there are people who like the Knierims here, I just don't know how many of them visit this part of the forum.

You've got it. Links to funding sites are only allowed in fanfests.

You might be able to get away with posting something in the US pairs that directs people to the fanfest.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You've got it. Links to funding sites are only allowed in fanfests.

You might be able to get away with posting something in the US pairs that directs people to the fanfest.

Please refer to Forum Guidelines. Thanks!

18. Funding Links Links to fund skaters are to be posted in their respective Fan Fest (FF) thread. If they do not have a FF, feel free to create one. Links to other outlets, organizations, etc. are not permitted. PM the original poster if you would like to have a link added to the original/first post.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just thought I would repost this short but beautiful film from Chicago Wintrust as a reminder of how wonderful Chris and Alexa are!!! Sure hope and pray they get the funding the need and deserve :pray:
If the US is lucky enough to gain 2 pairs spots next season, it would be wonderful to see Chris & Alexa competing then...
https://youtu.be/sJXiSJYStlk

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just thought I would repost this short but beautiful film from Chicago Wintrust as a reminder of how wonderful Chris and Alexa are!!! Sure hope and pray they get the funding the need and deserve :pray:
If the US is lucky enough to gain 2 pairs spots next season, it would be wonderful to see Chris & Alexa competing then...

Lucky enough? :shocked: If the US regains 2 pairs spots for next season .... (lest we forget, the 2d spot that Alexa, Chris, Deanna and Nate lost) .... it won't be due to luck! It will be because Ashley and Tim have worked so hard to progress as a team technically, artistically, and in their connectedness to each other this year. Not to mention how hard they've worked to raise their own credibility with international judges. And in raising their own credibility, they're elevating the credibility of all US pairs again.

I'm grateful that Ashley and Tim have stepped up, under considerable stress and extremely daunting challenges, with all their quality and integrity, at exactly the moment when the US needs them the most.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just thought I would repost this short but beautiful film from Chicago Wintrust as a reminder of how wonderful Chris and Alexa are!!!

Elbkup, I watched this a couple of nights ago and also Alexa and Chris's 2017 interview from GS. Two things just leaped out at me. In (which one? :confused2:) , Chris said he and Alexa used to each be thinking "what can I do for the team?" But now they think of "what can we do for the team?" I think this is part of the reason they've made such strides in the quality and beauty of their skating together. And skating together for almost 7 years now. I re-watched their 2015 worlds skate, and the difference was noticeable.

In the GS interview, Alexa said that after her illness, they both have such an awareness of what a privilege it is to be able to train every day again. These two attitudes bode well for their getting through these struggles. I think that if Chris can heal well from his injury, this long break between competing will be good for them and a stabilizing force. I guess if he'd had the surgery yet, someone here would know. It's going to be a long wait, but I look forward to seeing them next year.