Alexa Scimeca Knierim & Chris Knierim | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Alexa Scimeca Knierim & Chris Knierim

16Olympics

On the Ice
I just read in the World's Forum that Chris Knierem is stepping away from the sport and the team won't be at World's. Calalanga & Johnson are now going to World's. I checked the entry list and they are listed with the Knierem's last on the list of substitutes. :rolleye:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just read in the World's Forum that Chris Knierem is stepping away from the sport and the team won't be at World's. Calalanga & Johnson are now going to World's. I checked the entry list and they are listed with the Knierem's last on the list of substitutes. :rolleye:

I believe substitute lists are alphabetical within country (they are S), so the order is irrelevant. I believe the list of entries is also alphabetical.

16Olympics

On the Ice
I believe substitute lists are alphabetical within country (they are S), so the order is irrelevant. I believe the list of entries is also alphabetical.

I would think they are listed in order of rank as in the first S listed would go to Worlds as the first substitute and the rest would go in order of their rank on the list. I'm more interested in the relevancy of why they would be on that list of S's at all if Chris is not skating any longer. Wouldn't that make him unavailable?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would think they are listed in order of rank as in the first S listed would go to Worlds as the first substitute and the rest would go in order of their rank on the list. I'm more interested in the relevancy of why they would be on that list of S's at all if Chris is not skating any longer. Wouldn't that make him unavailable?

Look at the official list of entries. Within each country/category (entrant, sub) they are all in alphabetical order by last name (or last name of first partner). Every one of them. The federation gets to choose from among the listed subs; they don't just "move up" the list.

The federations may publish lists where the subs are ranked in order, but on the official entry list they are in alphabetical order.

Probably the Knierems moved onto the list of Subs because they were previously listed as entries.

As an example of the not-ranking look at the Canadian men substitutes. They are Messing, Nadeau, Sadovsky. I can assure you that if they send Nadeau instead of Sadovsky, mayhem would ensue. Similarly for Canadian dance: they are listed as LANAGHAN/RAZGULAJEVS, Sales/Wamsteeker, Soucisse/Firus, but in fact Soucisse/Firus are the first substitutes.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think she will try to find a partner but the trust and the confidence is going to be a big issue. Frankly - I wish she would just retire. It's never going to be the same again. Unless there is someone hiding in the woods or someone leaves the partner they have now - is there anyone who can skate to her and Chris' level out there without a partner?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she will try to find a partner but the trust and the confidence is going to be a big issue. Frankly - I wish she would just retire. It's never going to be the same again. Unless there is someone hiding in the woods or someone leaves the partner they have now - is there anyone who can skate to her and Chris' level out there without a partner?

In my opinion, there is no one else in the US that can skate to her and Chris' level with or without a partner. As Tara said calling their Natioals skate - everyone else is good quality, the Knierims are World quality. Does she want to drop back to good quality and ..I dunno..fight it out with all the other good quality teams for a possible Olympic berth? Whatever happens, it most certainly will never be the same again. Where would she and someone else even get money to train?

I would wish for him to get treatment and return to possibly skate in ice shows, what few there are of them. It is a sticky situation. In the end I don't think either will get what they want skating wise.

She's been wanting children, so maybe that would fill the gap.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Look at the official list of entries. Within each country/category (entrant, sub) they are all in alphabetical order by last name (or last name of first partner). Every one of them. The federation gets to choose from among the listed subs; they don't just "move up" the list.

The federations may publish lists where the subs are ranked in order, but on the official entry list they are in alphabetical order.

Probably the Knierems moved onto the list of Subs because they were previously listed as entries.

As an example of the not-ranking look at the Canadian men substitutes. They are Messing, Nadeau, Sadovsky. I can assure you that if they send Nadeau instead of Sadovsky, mayhem would ensue. Similarly for Canadian dance: they are listed as LANAGHAN/RAZGULAJEVS, Sales/Wamsteeker, Soucisse/Firus, but in fact Soucisse/Firus are the first substitutes.

Thanks for the info. :)

sworddance21

On the Ice

Who knows - but I seem to recall that people thought Aljiona should just retire when Robin did, saying she would never find another partner up to her standards. That worked out okay for her.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Who knows - but I seem to recall that people thought Aljiona should just retire when Robin did, saying she would never find another partner up to her standards. That worked out okay for her.

Oh, yes, but Aljona had a quadrennial in hand for her new partnership, while Alexa is aiming just for 2022 and then most probably will retire.

slider11

Medalist
Congratulations to Alexa and Brandon Frazier - a new US pairs, announced 3/30/20. Apparently Brandon spoke with Haven Denney first and she appeared ready to retire and was supportive of his efforts to find a new partner. In addition, before they did a try-out, Alexa spoke with Haven by phone to be sure that she was supportive. That's a pretty classy move! Of course, training is at a standstill but according to the news on usfsa, Alexa and Brandon are communicating about music, moves and other related skating issues. It looks like they will be training with the Sands in LA when they are able. Exciting!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Chris Knierim, who is a nominee for PSA's 2020 Gustave Lussi Award.

"Presented to a male, professional skater or coach who has brought recognition to the sport in a positive and favorable manner."

Winner will be announced on Thu May 21.

The other nominees this year: Mark Ladwig, Jason Brown.