Vanessa James & Morgan Cipres | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Vanessa James & Morgan Cipres

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Man I am so happy and relieved to hear they aren't going anywhere!! Steely grit and determination !!
Congratulations for success in the free so onward and upward toward their proper place at the top....:luv17: :love:

iexela

Rinkside
That was a tremendous fightback. Small bronze, and less than three points off the podium - with Vanessa still feeling the aftereffects of that crash, I'm sure, because that's not the sort of ouch that goes away overnight. I'm so happy for them.

And apparently they commented in the mixed zone that they don't plan to retire. Squeeeeeee! :hap93:

:hap10::hap10::hap10:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm torn over the fact that they don't even earn a bronze from this Worlds but I'm half relieved that they wouldn't retire any time soon until they earn a World title. They are blooming so it would be a great loss to the figure skating world that they retire now.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Sometimes things happen as they are meant to, are a blessing in disguise.. hope we have more word from them soon about future plans... after a long, relaxing vacation, of course!!! :biggrin:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know WTT is a bit of a joke as far as actual competition goes, but it's a fun way to end the season, and I hope Vanessa and Morgan have a blast and skate their hearts out. :hap10:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What a fantastic end to the season for Vanessa and Morgan! An almost perfect free skate, and they broke 150 with room to spare! I'm utterly delighted that they had this to finish off with after their disappointment at Worlds, and so glad we'll get to see them again next year - and I can't wait to see what they come up with. Charlie White for choreographer again Y/Y? :love:

iexela

Rinkside
They're absolutely amazing!!! I adore their free skate!:love: Congratulations and huge thanks Vanessa and Morgan:clap:

What cruel unfairness they didn't get a medal at the Worlds - the only comp they lost this season:sad21:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Vanessa has been announced as competing on the next season of Battle of the Blades on CBC. So by implication, no fall competitions for them this year.

EDIT: Apparently not, they’re planning on both.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For what it's worth, Meagan Duhamel was on the latest episode of TSL and she talked a bit about Battle of the Blades. She said that the show starts at the beginning of October and airs through the end of November, and it airs live as it is filmed. She thinks Vanessa can only do it and the GP if she's eliminated from the show early - otherwise they would either have to WD or she'd have to leave the show. I don't think the actual dates of the show have been published (that I could find), so maybe it'll be earlier and not be a problem, but it sounds like Meagan was approached about doing it herself (she's not because she's pregnant). So there's a decent chance she'd know the schedule details.

max bensen

Spectator
Filming Battle of the Blades

For what it's worth, Meagan Duhamel was on the latest episode of TSL and she talked a bit about Battle of the Blades. She said that the show starts at the beginning of October and airs through the end of November, and it airs live as it is filmed. She thinks Vanessa can only do it and the GP if she's eliminated from the show early - otherwise they would either have to WD or she'd have to leave the show. I don't think the actual dates of the show have been published (that I could find), so maybe it'll be earlier and not be a problem, but it sounds like Meagan was approached about doing it herself (she's not because she's pregnant). So there's a decent chance she'd know the schedule details.

Vanessa said in an interview that the training camp is in July & BoB will be filmed in September.

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm a little scared for them. I don't know how they could manage Battle of the Blades at the same time as GP. I hope they know what are they doing. Vanessa and Morgan probably need change the routine and stereotype season, I guess. But I still think that it is a little unnecessary and risky. :(

max bensen

Spectator
I agree.On insta Vanessa has posted a puppy passed out exhausted after her first day training for Battle of the Blades. And Morgan (as the coach) is a teensy temperamental perfectionist:drama: fiercely determined that her and her partner go through to the end (ie a few days before their first GP).I fear *very high tension*:sad21: as well as unbelievable exhaustion... as they will be training daily on top of this. She's 32 now and has been thinking of retiring for a few years...yikes:eek:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
New interview with europeonice - thanks to kittysk8ts over at FSU for the link!

I am intrigued by Vanessa's mention of skating an 'unexpected' kind of classical program as a way to keep evolving. Can't wait to see what they come up with! And I agree with them both, very much, about what impact they've had on the sport and how their innovations are in some ways worth more than any medal (though boy do I want that Worlds gold for them and soon!).

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
New instagram stories from Morgan today. He's working on an on-ice backflip!

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
New instagram stories from Morgan today. He's working on an on-ice backflip!

I saw that too, that instead of being in Toronto with Vanessa (and supposedly coaching her and her huge partner!), Morgan is in France training a backflip...which honestly he should be in Minnesota training that with the one and only legend Surya Bonaly! :rock:

Also cross posting from the GP assignment post I made about their withdrawal from the GP's this season:

It looks like Vanessa and Morgan are following Sui and Han's lead [who have missed several GP seasons]. As Vanessa said, this is the first time in 9 consecutive seasons they have ever missed [a GP], and I think it's awesome they are missing their first GP season to earn some serious $$$ to do a TV show, and not due to injury!!

I'm totally hyped, psyched, shaking with excitement, and beaming with joy! Since [J/C] have committed to 2020 Europeans, I seriously hope they will continue to follow Sui and Han's lead and compete at 2020 World's in Montreal, and hopefully some of S/H luck will rub off on J/C and they will finally break their 9 year World Championship CURSE!! :laugh: