Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Soerensen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Soerensen

StormyCloudss

On the Ice
So, so excited for them. I don't see them enough on the circuit and the Danish federation is not very powerful/limited in their support. Very, very classy of the fed to release them. Timing makes sense with V/M retiring and potentially W/P after another season or two. IIRC, they can't compete internationally for Canada for another year, so timing wise it works out. But with S/F on the rise and L/L potentially coming up from juniors, it is starting to become a crowded field (again!), which I never thought I'd be saying even a year ago.

GAHHHHhsjbigelnbksjmk :yahoo:

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
So since they are going to skate for Canada now does this mean they won’t compete at Worlds? I’m going to Milan and will be gutted if I don’t get to see them [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

CAS

On the Ice
So since they are going to skate for Canada now does this mean they won’t compete at Worlds? I’m going to Milan and will be gutted if I don’t get to see them [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

They won't be in Milan. They weren't on the entry list released the other day which started speculation they might be switching federations.

I didn't realize he already had citizenship but I suspected he probably at least had a PR card since he had planned to skate for Canada when he first teamed up with Vanessa Crone and also with Laurence and said he had done some paperwork back then which I assume would have included applying for PR status.

I am happy for them. Hope it works out as they are a very promising team but they will have more competition in Canada to get a spot so fingers crossed as I like seeing them on the circuit.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I didn't realize he already had citizenship but I suspected he probably at least had a PR card since he had planned to skate for Canada when he first teamed up with Vanessa Crone and also with Laurence and said he had done some paperwork back then which I assume would have included applying for PR status.

I don't think Nicolaj has Canadian citizenship yet, but he likely has PR since they train in Montreal. It's much more feasible for him to get Canadian citizenship than for Laurence to get Danish citizenship (since they actually live/train in Canada) so this is definitely a better choice if they're aiming to get to compete at the Olympics.

Now let's just hope he doesn't follow the path of Kaitlyn, Piper, and Lubov who all got Canadian citizenship before the Olympics so they'd be able to compete but then didn't qualify to go

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skaters can get citizenship in Canada within one Olympic cycle, even if they don't have residence beforehand. The latest example is Lubov Ilyushechkina. She started competing with Dylan after the 2014 Olympics and had her Canadian citizenship in time for 2018. Unfortunately they didn't qualify, at least partly due to Dylan's injury.

Edited to add: She had no Canadian ties prior to competing with Dylan. I believe they had their initial tryout together in Detroit because she didn't even have a visa to enter Canada.

CAS

On the Ice
I don't think Nicolaj has Canadian citizenship yet, but he likely has PR since they train in Montreal. It's much more feasible for him to get Canadian citizenship than for Laurence to get Danish citizenship (since they actually live/train in Canada) so this is definitely a better choice if they're aiming to get to compete at the Olympics.

Now let's just hope he doesn't follow the path of Kaitlyn, Piper, and Lubov who all got Canadian citizenship before the Olympics so they'd be able to compete but then didn't qualify to go

I probably should have quoted the poster bellefurr who stated "he is already Canadian" so I assumed they had knowledge that he already has citizenship.

But I agree he probably has PR status since he has been training in Canada since 2010 and planned to skate for Canada with Vanessa Crone and also it was the original plan with Laurence to skate for Canada as well (said in an article last year that this was the plan but they missed the deadline for him to have completed his dance tests so they switched to Denmark). With that PR status, depending on when he got it, he could apply for citizenship well before the curse that seemed to have hit Weaver and Gilles ;)

GGFan

Record Breaker
Here's an out-there idea: if the Danes won't permit her to compete for Denmark, I wonder if we could see them in the 2022 games if they release him and they compete for Canada instead? Mind you, they're getting pretty much all the support Denmark is able to provide, and if they choose to go for Canada instead, there's a deep dance pool already. Just wondering ... at least if they tried, and they succeed, they can get to the next Olympics.

Just wanted to give you props for calling this ahead of time :clap:

GGFan

Record Breaker
They won't be in Milan. They weren't on the entry list released the other day which started speculation they might be switching federations.

I know there's a silver lining here BUT :hpull::sad4: I already had to suffer through the Olympics without them!!

CAS

On the Ice
I know there's a silver lining here BUT :hpull::sad4: I already had to suffer through the Olympics without them!!

I know, I love their programs this year. But then I think how great they will be at tango for next season so the sooner they start working on that maybe the sooner they earn a spot to compete internationally next year :)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Just wanted to give you props for calling this ahead of time :clap:

Also... Laurence and Nikolaj, if you guys are reading this, if you win OGM, I totally want credit in media interviews. "That weirdo on the Internet totally called it! Thanks girl!"

Giselle

Medalist
I just learned that Laurence Fournier-Beaudry/Nikolaj Sorensen have decided to represent Canada!!!
I'll be sad not to see them at Euros anymore but it's very exciting that they have a realistic shot at going to the Olympics.

Also, IIRC since 2015 Denmark finally allowed dual citizenship so Nikolaj won't lose his Danish citizenship if he becomes Canadian :clapper:

pearly

Record Breaker
That is such a great program. I am so sorry they have to miss the GP season... With W/P skipping it, Canada has spots to fill. I hope they make it to ISU championships.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Another interview/profile, this time with IFS.

I thought the discussion of how hard it was on them to qualify an Olympic spot when they hadn’t thought that would happen was revealing. I guess it’s one thing to think the Olympics were never an option anyway, another to watch the possibility open up then slip away.