Latvia’s Deniss Vasiljevs draws attention | Golden Skate

Latvia’s Deniss Vasiljevs draws attention

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Latvian skater Deniss Vasiljevs performed at the 2015 ISU World Junior Championships earlier this year in Tallinn, Estonia, he was awarded by lots of applause and cheers by the spectators. While he didn’t win a medal, he finished a respectable seventh out of the 24 competitors who qualified for the free skate. [More]

Does he remind you of anyone in particular?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am very fond of this young skater, and so impressed at his ability to connect with the crowd at such a young age! Thanks so much for the article!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Does he remind you of anyone in particular?[/FONT]

A young Lambiel, all the way! I'm so glad he will continue working with Urmanov. If he can improve his jumps, he will be the total package. I'm a little disappointed that he won't get a new FS (I like Tron, but I am one of those people who always prefers something new to something recycled), but maybe it will help him feel confident in the JGP.

Can't wait to see him at Euros and senior worlds!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
He is very talented, he is one of my favorite junior skaters. I'm really looking forward to his next seasons.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks for the article! i really like him, he really looks geniune and humble good to see he has other talents such as drawing, who knows me may try military program and design the costume himself, it would be really cool
i dont mind the tron program but i hope he changes the costume :slink: and its funny how his mom threw chestnut onto the ice :laugh: i cant wait to see him compete next season!

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I think he is a big big talent. I don't know how far he can go at the World level in the future, because it is super competitive there(I mean in seniors category) but I am absolutely sure he can make a good name for Latvian skating and I think when he will be older and more experienced he can have a great results at the Europeans. I think he is the future. There is a lot to work on-especially triple axel and some quad. But he can do that. The boy is 15. Maybe it is good they are taking it not too fast. He will just work and with a time he will get the better jumps, so no need to worry.
I first saw him last year at his first JGP competition and I was already pretty impressed. He did not have all the difficult jumps but in terms of presentation I knew he simply has the IT. I just remember last year at Junior Worlds, when he finished his FP-all the people were clapping loudly, and they were obviously very impressed. I am sure he will shine in the future.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I really think he can be another Denis Ten or Javier Fernandez and with Kuchvalska, they can really help promote skating in Latvia.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A big congrats to this up-and-comer who placed second in both his JPGs!

gruesome

Rinkside
I just watched his SP and LP for the latest JGP event. His movements looked very nice and smooth and the interpretation was so impressive. I think he will deliver outstanding performance in the future.

Last edited: