Musicians of GS unite! | Golden Skate

Musicians of GS unite!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Yup, you read that right: a thread for musicians on a figure skating forum...man, am I strange! :laugh2: I am a violinist/violist (violin being my main instrument-I also played piano for a while and recorder waaaay back in 1st or 2nd grade) and wondered if there are any more of you out there in the depths of GS. Tell us about yourself and your musical exploits! (I mostly mean instrumental musicians, but singers are welcome too!)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Guitar (electric & acoustic) and a little Bass Guitar. Got my first 'real' guitar (a Yamaha Pacifica :laugh: ) 18 years ago, and quickly moved on to a love affair with Gibson Les Paul. I modded guitars quite a bit, completely changed out the electronics/wiring/machine-heads and upgraded the pickups.

I don't play often anymore, but I keep a Fender Telecaster handy if the urge strikes.

I was also formally trained at classical piano as a young child, but only sporadically played into adulthood. I haven't owned a real piano/keyboard in a long long time, though whenever I'm visiting someone's house and encounter a piano sitting in a lonely corner (usually old and dusty), I can't help but begin 'tickling the ivories', and everyone always says, "I didn't know you knew how to play piano!"

Layback11

Record Breaker
Cool! I agree, piano training is great to have for those times you feel like impressing people at a party! :laugh2: (My brother is a pianist and he sometimes gets roped into playing in public. He hates it, but people are usually really impressed.) Any pieces you particularly like to play?

mnm464

On the Ice
Heyooo~ I started out(of course, like every American) on recorder for about a year. Then, I played piano for a couple years with my brother too, but wasn't very good and our teacher had some issues, so to say. Then, in elementary school I started clarinet for another couple years and became first or second chair, but for some reason wanted to switch to violin(bad choice) and played that for a year then quit. Then for a couple months, I picked up clarinet, at my friend and a band teacher's insisting to play band for a little. I haven't played since then, due to lack of time from skating. I wish I could keep up, but school and skating's a lot!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I played Cello from the 4th grade until I graduated High School. Along the way I learned guitar and play out occasionally doing folk music but around the 7th grade I learned to play a full drum kit and studied jazz percusion fairly seriously. I play drums with folk,jazz,funk, and R&B musicians at various times. I also learned how to DJ vinyl records (scratching and beat matching) around 17-18 yrs old and have done some hip hop performances and even dj'd club style music like that of "detroit" techno/house a few years back.

So yes....I think I am a bit of a musician at heart :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piano lessons for 5 years. Still love to play it and on an electric keyboard. Would love to learn to play the flute & acoustic guitar.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
I played the flute in 7th and 8th grade; and then three years during High School...my Freshman, Junior and Senior years. I sat out my Sophomore year because there was a Western Civilization course I wanted to take that was only offered during the same period as Band. I was also in Marching Band during High School in the same three years.

By my Junior year, I was also the JAC (Junior Administrative Corp) for our Band Teacher. So I had the job of photocopying all of the sheet music off of the masters, taping the sheets together and distributing them to the whole band. I also typed our concert programs on stencils, which I then had to run off on the mimeograph machine (yes, I'm that old) in the administration office. Couldn't make any typos on those blue stencils. If you did, you would have to start all over again.

I also had the job of giving out the Varsity Letters to our Seniors. No real ceremony; I just handed them out. LOL.

I still have my flute and hope get back to playing it, someday.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^Bump^

Does anyone write their own music here? I've been working on lyrics for three songs I wrote on guitar the last few days and keep getting writers block when it comes to lyrics. Any tips. I think I have OCD and just overthink.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My grandson writes songs...don't get excited, he is 16, and it probably never will go anwhere.

He carries a book around and writes down stuff all the time. He plays all the instruments forball his songs and edits them together. Eventually somehow it comes together and a song will appear on his bandcamp page. He then always takes down the ones I like best, though :cry:

I mention this because he does not seem to work at it in what appears to me to be an organized manner.
The process seems to be something like this:
So maybe try a fourth song. Think of a good hook all by itself and write it down. Worry about the rest later. Play your main instrument (in his case, guitar). Twiddle around a bit and stumble on something you like for the accompaniment. Write the words from your own life and feelings. This is bad in a 16 year old. :bang: It is an angsty age. The songs he wrote at 14 and 15 were much more amusing.

Figure out a drum line. Get some stress worked out, banging on the drums at the same time

Just don't obsess at the one spot where you are stuck. Just keep writing.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I dare not call myself a musician. I write for a classical music magazine now and then. I also make documentaries about classical musicians for tv station. I also interview musicians when I have chance to talk with them. My first concert was of Rostropovich I bet Sam knows him. I was also in the choirs for Beethoven and Verdi works. But overall I am more like an outsider. So glad to know there're many musicians here.

Last edited: