Team Spain | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Team Spain

Andrea82

Medalist
After Free Programs at Golden Spin

1) Hurtado/Khaliavin 163.58 (new ISU PB)
2) Smart/Diaz 159.40 (new ISU PB)
3) Robledo/Fenero 135.10 (new ISU PB)

1) Felipe Montoya 193.09 (new ISU PB)
2) Javier Raya 166.48

Today a substantial tie between H/K and S/D in the FS. So the gap between the 2 teams stay at around 4 points. All to play for at Nationals

Montoya had a decent FS while Raya was very messy. Montoya is the heavy favorite for Olympic spot now. More than 25 points gap is a very large lead.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
After Free Programs at Golden Spin

1) Hurtado/Khaliavin 163.58
2) Smart/Diaz 159.40

1) Felipe Montoya 193.09
2) Javier Raya 166.48

Today a substantial tie between H/K and S/D in the FS. So the gap between the 2 teams stay at around 4 points. All to play for at Nationals

Montoya had a decent FS while Raya was very messy. Montoya is the heavy favorite for Olympic spot now. More than 25 points gap is a very large lead.

In Ice Dance 4 points makes difference. Sure it isn't the gap that can't be overcome but still. It is some advantage.

Andrea82

Medalist
Short Dance at Nationals

1) Smart/ Diaz 69.61
2) Hurtado/Khaliavin 64.21
3) Robledo/Fenero 59.83

Totals in the Olympic race before FS

Smart/Diaz 229.01
Hurtado/Khaliavin 227.79

Men

1) Fernandez 107.73
2) Raya 78.81
3) Montoya 67.66

Olympic race:

Montoya 260.75
Raya 245.29

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Spanish FED has retweetted this message from HIELO ESPAÑOL, confirming the skater's assignments for 2018 international competitions:

Ya os podemos confirmar la selección española de patinaje para las grandes citas de la temporada:
• Campeonato de Europa: Javier Fernández, Felipe Montoya, Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khalyavin y Laura Barquero & Aritz Maestu.
• Juegos Olímpicos: Javier Fernández, Felipe Montoya y Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khalyavin.
• Campeonato del mundo: Javier Fernández, Javier Raya, Olivia Smart & Adrià Díaz y Laura Barquero & Aritz Maestu

Lógicamente para la categoría femenina habrá que esperar a ver.

We can confirm you the spanish national team for the big appointments of the season:
- European Championship:Javier Fernández, Felipe Montoya, Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khalyavin y Laura Barquero & Aritz Maestu.
- Olympic Games: Javier Fernández, Felipe Montoya y Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khalyavin.
- World Championship: Javier Fernández, Javier Raya, Olivia Smart & Adrià Díaz y Laura Barquero & Aritz Maestu
We will have to wait and see what happens to Lady's singles.

I find it a little weird that it's Hielo Español who makes the official announcement and FED retweets it... shouldn't it be the other way around? Anyway, that retweet it's like FED's confirmation so, I guess, it is really official now.:2thumbs:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Good!!!!!!
I thought they might chicken out & go with the Fed' s darling SD but yeah it's Sara & Kirill:hap93:

Andrea82

Medalist
Good!!!!!!
I thought they might chicken out & go with the Fed' s darling SD but yeah it's Sara & Kirill:hap93:

Last week Spanish Fed was asked by Philip Hersh about the ISU investigation on Golden Spin and they replied with “from our side, everything still is as it is. We consider the results of Zagreb official and the results from our nationals official.

Unless ISU do something on the Golden Spin result, they are not going to change the selection.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
What a good day for Team Spain, today, at Europeans!
- Javier Fernandez leading the men's competition
- Felipe Montoya qualified for the FS
- Laura Barquero & Aritz Maestu qualified for the FS (all pairs did, but they were there!)
Let's wait for more good days like this!:gclap:
Tomorrow Valentina Mato and friday Sara&Kirill.
Vamos!!

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Recently Celia Robledo and Luis Fenero have decided to end their competitive career. Good luck to you guys and thank you for your contribution to Spanish ice dance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Team Spain finished 19th of 21 teams at the World Junior synchro championships.

19Team Mirum Junior
SP "My Heart Goes Boom" by Miss Li
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBc4YJoZdXw
FS "Do You Love Me" by the Contours, "Love is Strange" by Mickey & Sylvia, "Wipeout" by the Ventures, "(I've Had) The Time of My Life from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, performed by Jennifer Warnes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aClvLw9fVX4
ESP

gabriele

On the Ice
Remembering the controversy over the selection for Olympic and Worlds ice dance assignments, and with the benefit of hindsight, did the Spanish Federation get it right? How did both H/D and S/D measure up relative to their competition at Olympics and Worlds. Did one team come out with an edge over the other? Or even just the perception of it?

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I haven't seen your question until now... and that's a good question, but I'm not sure there's is a clear answer, just opinions.

At the end of the 2017/2018 season, these are their scores:

Golden Spin
H/K 67,14+96,44= 163.58 4th
S/D 63,12+96,28= 159.40 5th
R/F 52,98+82,12= 135.10 14th

Nationals
H/K 64,21+100,33= 164,54 2nd
S/D 69,61+98,16= 167,77 1st
R/F 59,83+86,70= 146,53 3rd

Europeans
H/K 66,60+98,43= 165,03 8th

Olys
H/K 66,93+101,40= 168,33 12th

Worlds
S/D 63,73+98,32= 162,05 12th

At the beginning of the season they were close, with a Little advantage for H/K. Even though we had the judges controversy at Golden Spin, at the end of the season the results are the same, H/K scoring a few points more tan S/D.

In my opinión, this season, the FED's decisión was good, giving both teams the opportunity of International competitions, sending H/K to Moscow at Europeans was good too, they had more support from the audience because Kirill is russian.

Watching the final scores, it seems that H/K would have been in the top 10 at worlds but noone can guarantee the same scores at wolds than the ones they had at the Olympics, so, in terms of results maybe (I repeat, maybe) sending Olivia and Adri to Worlds was not the best for Spain but, after what the spanish FED did last year, they would have lost all credibility if they had made a last minute change again.

In conclusión: How did it go? Well, no surprises, good enough results, in 2019 Spain will have two ice dance teams at Europeans, but only one at worlds.

Any of the teams have an edge over the other? In my opinion, yes and no:

- In terms of scores, there was a small difference at the end of the season (6 points) but I wouldn't say there's a clear edge. We will see next season if the difference turns into a clear tendency or they are really in the same level.
- There's a clear difference, though, between both teams: Sara's skills in communication, media presence, connection with the fans and the ability of developing team identity and style. That's a clear edge in favor of her team and, at the moment, I don't see any strength in the other team that can compete with that.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
This is the third year in a row that I watch Spanish Nationals. The streaming hasn´t improved but the content... OMG! I thought I was watching a different country!!
Javi wasn´t competing, senior ice dance teams were interesting but they weren´t the most interesting part of the competition: Valentina Matos, Marian Millares, Sofia Val (not sure about her partner, we’ll see), Laura & Aritz and team Mirum were the rising stars of the championship and, I hope, that some of the junior men and novice women are future stars in the making...

Thanks to Javi, Spanish skaters have a future, even without him!! Right now, they are too young to know but, by the look of it, I think there’s a chance for Spain to participate in the Team Event in 2022... That’s a nice dream to fight for... I’m so happy!!! :hap93:

EDIT: Results

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Since Laura and Aritz grabbed two spots for Spain for the next Europeans Dorota and Pedro should train as hard as possible to get the minimum TES. :) And I hope there will be some more pairs in Spain.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Well, it was a productive weekend for Team Spain, it's growing little by little:

PAIRS
Spain officially has two senior teams, both of them went to Denis Ten Memorial Challenger. I have to say that I really like both teams.

- Laura Barquero / Ton Cónsul: After just a few months of training, they got the mínimum TES for worlds in their first competition together. The team can work and it is going to be interesting to see how they evolve, because they are very young (18 and 19 y.o., I think). The last couple of seasons, Laura has grown up under the wing of Aritz, he looked like her older brother but in this competition it was funny to see her act like the elder sister with (a quite nervoius) Ton. It's great to know that they are in the game again and that their scores are not far away from the ones received by Aritz and Laura. They have a lot of work in front of them but, if they make it work, I think that they will be really competitive in a few seasons.
I'm sorry for Aritz, but he will always be the first man in a pair from Spain, the one that opened the way for the rest of the spanish teams.
Barquero/Cónsul SP 2019 DTM 50,83
Barquero/Cónsul FS 2019 DTM 98,41

- Dorota Broda / Pedro Betegón: The situation with this team is just the opposite, they were trying to get the minimum TES for Euros (it wasn´t posible this time, but they are close), they need to improve technically but they are really a consolidated team, they have survived the last five years training in Spain with no resources and that conection is evident for anyone looking. Now that they train with Laura and Ton in Italy, I hope that we will see them grow quickly. They are young too (17 and 23 y.o., I think).

Broda/Betegón SP 2019 DTM 45,09
Broda/Betegón FS 2019 DTM 80,45

:hap10:

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Dorota Broda and Pedro Betegon have earned Europeans minimum TES at Golden Spin of Zagreb. Go guys and do the same for free skate. We want to see two Spanish teams at Europeans.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Dorota Broda and Pedro Betegon have earned Europeans minimum TES at Golden Spin of Zagreb. Go guys and do the same for free skate. We want to see two Spanish teams at Europeans.

I have just seen in Hielo Español Instagram that they did it! We will have two teams in pairs at europeans! I'm so happy! :yes2:
It's a pity that there is no video... but I guess we will see all of them next weekend at spanish nationals. The streaming doesn't used to be hi-quality... but there used to be streaming :laugh:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Spanish Nationals begin this friday!!
Info about entries, schedules and links for the streaming is available in Hielo Español.

EDIT: Laliga4sports YT channel
My favorites:

Friday
Pairs SP All categories 19:53 - 20:08

Saturday
Ice dance PD/RD All categories 19:29 - 20:33
Ladies/Men SP Senior 20:39 - 20:54
Pairs FP All categories 21:00 - 21:19

Sunday
Ice dance FD All categories 15:12 - 16:03
Ladies/Men FP Senior 16:09 - 16:28

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Spanish Nationals are over and we have the Results.
It was a real pity that the streaming was hardly watchable. There are a few videos on YT and maybe there will be some more this week, seniors and juniors winners, I suppouse.
The real pity is that this is the only opportunity to see the young talents, in advance and junior categories, those are the ones that I miss the most. We'll probably see better videos of the senior and junior skaters in international competitions but here are the few available of Nats. The cámara was opposite to the panel, the POV is weird but interesting. If I can find new videos the next week, I will add them to this post.
These will be the members of team Spain in international competitions in 2020:

JUNIOR
MEN
Pablo García 159,67 FP
Arnau Joly 154,04 FP
Iker Oyarzabal 148,63 FP
LADIES
Marian Millares 137,33 SP fancam
Lucía Ruiz 108,20
Alba Patiño 104,35
ICE DANCE
Sofía VAL / Linus COLMOR JEPSEN 141,96 SD FD
Martina ROSSI / Adriano ROSSI 92,14
Maria PINTO / Raul BERMEJO 61,22

SENIOR
MEN
Aleix Gabara 68,88+134,39=203,27 FP
Héctor Alonso WD
LADIES
Valentina Matos 54,16+109,50=163,66 FP
ICE DANCE
Olivia Smart / Adrián Díaz 80,07+118,26=198,33 SD FD
Sara Hurtado / Kirill Jalyavin 75,02+117,74=192,76 SD FD
PAIRS
Laura Barquero / Ton Cónsul 55,41+95,94=151,35 SP
Dorota Broda / Pedro Betegón 38,64+84,99=123,63 SP

Spain has two spots at europeans for ice dance and pairs but just one for Worlds. We suppouse that Spanish FED will make the decisions after europeans…