Russian National Team for 2015-16 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian National Team for 2015-16

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just watched a skater named Misha Ge on Youtube and really liked his style. He skates for Uzbekistan but his bio says he's from Russia. This reminded me of Tatiana Malinina. So, I was wondering. Is it common for skaters from certain areas of Russia to skate for Uzbekistan and if so, what would be the reason.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I just watched a skater named Misha Ge on Youtube and really liked his style. He skates for Uzbekistan but his bio says he's from Russia. This reminded me of Tatiana Malinina. So, I was wondering. Is it common for skaters from certain areas of Russia to skate for Uzbekistan and if so, what would be the reason.

I'm not sure about Uzbekistan in particular, but yes, it is common to find natural-born Russians skating for other countries for a variety of reasons. Two recent examples off the top of my head are former Russian ice dancer Nelli Zhiganshina (now in Germany) and Anna Ovcharova (for Switzerland, but she recently announced retirement at age 19.) Both are originally from Moscow.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I'm not sure about Uzbekistan in particular, but yes, it is common to find natural-born Russians skating for other countries for a variety of reasons. Two recent examples off the top of my head are former Russian ice dancer Nelli Zhiganshina (now in Germany) and Anna Ovcharova (for Switzerland, but she recently announced retirement at age 19.) Both are originally from Moscow.

Switching countries is also very common for Ukrainian skaters (since they can usually find better training and funding conditions elsewhere). Among the top-ranked skaters, there's Aliona Savchenko and Tatiana Volosozhar, who now skate for Germany and Russia, respectively. And in ice dancing, Alisa Agafonova now skates for Turkey.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Switching countries is also very common for Ukrainian skaters (since they can usually find better training and funding conditions elsewhere). Among the top-ranked skaters, there's Aliona Savchenko and Tatiana Volosozhar, who now skate for Germany and Russia, respectively. And in ice dancing, Alisa Agafonova now skates for Turkey.

Come to think of it. Isn't Keegan Messing about to switch from representing the US to Canada?

Weathergal

Medalist

I would imagine some of the reasons for Russian-born skaters skating for other countries are more of a chance to skate internationally at a small country as opposed to clawing your way through a crowded Russian field and more chance at funding. (True of skaters in countries like the U.S. skating for other countries, too.)

In the case of Malinina, her family had moved to Uzbekistan when she was in her teens--not sure if she moved there because of her skating or if she skated for Uzbekistan because she moved there.

In the case of Misha Ge, I believe he does have some family ties in Uzbekistan on his mother's side although he hasn't lived there. So glad to hear you enjoy his skating! I have been a fan of his for a while and enjoy his joy and passion. It was so exciting this year to see him move up in the ranks!

Other skaters who switched from Russia to other countries include:
Igor Pashkevich, who skated for Russia then for Azerbaijan
Sergei Davydov, who skated for Russia then for Belarus
Alexander Majorov, who was born in St. Petersburg but skates for Sweden
Elizabet Tursynbayeva, who was born in Moscow but skates for Kazahkstan

He already did, he came in 5th at Canadian Nats (I think).

Kresslia, you are correct. Interesting skater from Alaska. Enjoyed his performances at U.S. Nationals. Had several top ten finishes there. Still remember his Hulk program and costume--was lots of fun.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Thank you. I just had a look at his SP and though I love his speed and style, I hated his choice of music. Here's why. He reminds me a bit of Max in that he's fast, powerful, and masculine. Did he ever play hockey??? Anyway, his music choice and his masculinity are not a match and the vocal is a huge distraction in that it's light and whimsical. Two things he is not.

I still really like watching him and can only hope he makes better program choices that will showcase what he is. A fast, powerful, masculine skater.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I would imagine some of the reasons for Russian-born skaters skating for other countries are more of a chance to skate internationally at a small country as opposed to clawing your way through a crowded Russian field and more chance at funding. (True of skaters in countries like the U.S. skating for other countries, too.)

Of course, you're right. I think Misha is a very interesting athlete, though, in that he managed to outscore the Russian guys at Worlds this season. And he's so different from them, which highlights something else--that trends seem to exist in different countries. Right now, the Russian guys are all jumpers, probably Plushenko's legacy. But someone like Misha--who is a much stronger performer--I'm not sure he would get recognized at Russian nationals right now.

Then in the U.S. we seem to have the reverse trend. (Thank you, Johnny Weir). With the more artistic guys--at least the guys who can excel on the smaller elements--out scoring Max, who internationally is really in the same ballpark as the rest of them.

Athletes who go to different countries do often get more opportunities to skate internationally, but it's much more rare to see them move up in the international standings. [/I]However, sometimes--once in a long while--people pack up to go elsewhere and find that their particular gifts are valued much more somewhere else. The Duchesnays, for example.

Weathergal

Medalist
Of course, you're right. I think Misha is a very interesting athlete, though, in that he managed to outscore the Russian guys at Worlds this season. And he's so different from them, which highlights something else--that trends seem to exist in different countries. Right now, the Russian guys are all jumpers, probably Plushenko's legacy. But someone like Misha--who is a much stronger performer--I'm not sure he would get recognized at Russian nationals right now.

Then in the U.S. we seem to have the reverse trend. (Thank you, Johnny Weir). With the more artistic guys--at least the guys who can excel on the smaller elements--out scoring Max, who internationally is really in the same ballpark as the rest of them.

Interesting points, especially about Max.

Athletes who go to different countries do often get more opportunities to skate internationally, but it's much more rare to see them move up in the international standings. [/I]However, sometimes--once in a long while--people pack up to go elsewhere and find that their particular gifts are valued much more somewhere else. The Duchesnays, for example.

Yes, many times you have a skater like Brooklee Han, who is from the U.S. but skates for Australia. She wouldn't be representing the U.S. at Worlds but in Australia she has that chance. But she hasn't really moved up in the standings.

Misha is a little more unusual in that, although, as you pointed out, he probably would not be recognized at Russian nationals, he's actually moving up and doing well internationally. The Duchesnays moving from Canada to France is a great example. I'm trying to think of another example like theirs. I'm sure there's one somewhere, but...?

I remember Trifun Zivanovic had some success skating for U.S. but then switched to Yugoslavia (then Serbia/Montenegro and eventually Serbia), hoping to get more international exposure. But I think he was more successful when skating for U.S.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, many times you have a skater like Brooklee Han, who is from the U.S. but skates for Australia. She wouldn't be representing the U.S. at Worlds but in Australia she has that chance. But she hasn't really moved up in the standings.

*grinds teeth angrily* Brooklee is AUSTRALIAN. She's not American, she is AUSTRALIAN. Her parents are Australian. She represents us with pride. She's not some country-hopping little princess, she skates for the country she was born to.

Weathergal

Medalist
*grinds teeth angrily* Brooklee is AUSTRALIAN. She's not American, she is AUSTRALIAN. Her parents are Australian. She represents us with pride. She's not some country-hopping little princess, she skates for the country she was born to.

Karne, I'm sorry I misunderstood her situation and meant no offense. I was thinking of her in that sense because she was born in the U.S. My understanding is that her father is from Australia. However I don't recall using "country hopping" or "little princess" or even implying it. :shrug:

I was thinking of her like Ashley Cain, who was also born in U.S. and has an Australian father with the only difference that I'm aware of that Cain skates for U.S. I never meant to imply that one was "better" than the other. We were merely discussing that some skaters skate for countries that are different from the ones they're born in, and in some cases, it's for more skating opportunities. Not sure why that is a bad thing.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm trying to think of another example like theirs.

Samuel Contesti, perhaps. France was actually very deep back in 2008-2009, yet he managed to make a name for himself at the 2009 Worlds for Italy. And his strengths were definitely unique among the competitors at the time.

mrrice

Record Breaker
OK, someone from Russia, I need you again. Are Elena and Alena Leonova sisters? I can only imagine this question has been asked a thousand times but, I can't find the answer. Thanks in advance.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The pairs skater from the 80's? They are of no relation. Alena has a younger sister (Katya) and a brother.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Misha is a little more unusual in that, although, as you pointed out, he probably would not be recognized at Russian nationals, he's actually moving up and doing well internationally. The Duchesnays moving from Canada to France is a great example. I'm trying to think of another example like theirs. I'm sure there's one somewhere, but...?

Had Misha been there and skated 100% clean, he could probably have gotten bronze over Adian. But Misha was never a strong skater prior to this season, so of course he wouldn't have done well in Russia (or the US, or Japan, etc.). Then again, he would have had better training conditions if he skated in Russia, so perhaps he would have made more progress sooner. We will never know.

Ivan Righini, on the other hand, switched to Italy from Russia because he saw the writing on the wall...he knew he was never going to make it as a top skater there. The verdict is still out on how far he can go internationally.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker

I don't know if his coaches would allow it however, I think it's time for Keegan to find a new choreographer. I'm know he wants to be World and Olympic Champion but, IMO, even if he skates clean, his programs lack the maturity and depth needed for international success. At this point, Patrick could beat him without much effort at all. Even now, he's a long shot to make the Canadian Team. In any case, I hope he's happy with his decision.

Last edited: