The performance that got you hooked | Page 8 | Golden Skate

The performance that got you hooked

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
This thread has been such fun to read! Thanks for sharing all of your stories. My first memory of figure skating was watching Peggy Fleming win in 1968, shortly before my 5th birthday. I know it's a true memory, because to this day, I remember that program in black and white.

Now that we've established that I'm old - I've got five months on Brian Boitano! - I'll share some of my memories of nearly a half century of figure skating. 1976 has been mentioned several times on this thread already, but I remember it best as the year men's skating really made an impression on me. John Curry was amazing but it was Toller Cranston who really grabbed my attention and held it throughout his pro career. And then there was 1980 and Robin Cousins, who was just as talented and innovative but in a totally different way (and is still my all-time favorite skater). I also remember being heartbroken for Tai and Randy for having to withdraw, and also because (as the cold-war era announcers put it), that year was THE YEAR the US finally had a chance to beat the Russians. 1984 was special because there were two of us in front of the TV that year and my daughter got to hear me cheering for Peter and Kitty Carruthers, wailing that Tiffany Chin was robbed for bronze, and being blown away by Torvill and Dean's paso doble - in utero. She turned 31 today.

I could go on in this vein for days! I was a lonely Bestamionova (sp?) and Bukin fan back in the 80's when there was no internet and nobody in California knew who they were. I grew up in the San Francisco bay area, so Brian Boitano and Kristi Yamaguchi were a big deal, and still are. The 1991 ladies' event at Worlds was my favorite ladies' event ever, mainly for the moment when Kristi, Tonya and Nancy stood on top of the podium and they all went "Ooh!" watching the three US flags go up. 1996 US Nationals, when Rudy Galindo showed us what perseverance in the face of adversity looked like when it finally paid off. Paul Wylie's Cinderella moment at Albertville four years earlier. I spent his entire amateur career standing up for his skates in a superstitious attempt to keep him on his feet. The happy fit I had when he won that silver medal was almost Sarah Hughes worthy.

As I said, I could go on and on, but may save it for a later post as I've hardly mentioned pairs or ice dance and still have a couple of decades to cover. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Virtue and Moir - Umbrella of Cherbourg

Epitome of young loveee :eek::

Welcome to Golden Skate, cor!! Post long and often.

And Ravyn Rant, thanks so much for your story! I just loved it. I brought back so many happy memories of my own.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I also remember being heartbroken for Tai and Randy for having to withdraw, and also because (as the cold-war era announcers put it), that year was THE YEAR the US finally had a chance to beat the Russians.

I dont think that Babilonia & Gardner would have won anyway as Rodnina with her partner and earlier partner had a lot more reputation. Besides, one has to remember that Babilonia and Gardner became World Champions during the absence of Rodnina and her partner. I really liked Babilonia and Gardner, too, but silver was more likely, IMO.

Anyone here from Europe and old enough to remember the scene with Babilonia and Gardner there?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I dont think that Babilonia & Gardner would have won anyway as Rodnina with her partner and earlier partner had a lot more reputation. Besides, one has to remember that Babilonia and Gardner became World Champions during the absence of Rodnina and her partner. I really liked Babilonia and Gardner, too, but silver was more likely, IMO.

Anyone here from Europe and old enough to remember the scene with Babilonia and Gardner there?

Sorry, Jaana, I forgot to note that I was being a little sarcastic. Growing up in the US and listening to the coverage back in the day, it seemed that every top American pair was poised to beat the Russians, even when that was obviously false.

I'm intrigued by the rest of your post. What was the scene with Tai and Randy in Europe?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The reason Rodnina was out of commission was that she had had a baby, AFAIR? And the only competition prior to the Olympics that R&Z competed in was 1980 Europeans?

Tutto

Record Breaker
As I said, I could go on and on, but may save it for a later post as I've hardly mentioned pairs or ice dance and still have a couple of decades to cover. :)

Thank you for your account - I enjoyed it and look forward to more!

This thread brought back many happy memories. Also I realised something which I really miss from 6.0 era. It was such fun to note nationality of judges, lets say why French judge gave only 5.4 to an American skater while all other's marks were about 5.8 and so on. Now with anonymous judging that harmless but enjoyable part of watching FS gone forever. Anyone else thinks so?

magicrider

Rinkside
Torvill and Dean's Bolero! Each time I hear the music I can see them! Of course I love many other programs, but none gripped me again till Bourne and Kratz did Riverdance!So as a dressage rider , I have used both of those pieces of music for freestyles with my horses. Good times!

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
The reason Rodnina was out of commission was that she had had a baby, AFAIR? And the only competition prior to the Olympics that R&Z competed in was 1980 Europeans?

That's right, dorispulaski; she was out due to the birth of their baby. According to the commentary at the beginning of this clip (their 1980 Europeans LP), they competed earlier that month at the Soviet Nationals. Looks like Europeans was their first international competition after they came back. There are references to the upcoming Olympics throughout the clip; and there's a split screen in the middle with Tai and Randy watching the performance. Quick interview with R/Z by John Curry at the end of the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpP2rXzOpqU

Many thanks to those who mentioned Torvill and Dean's Paso Doble from 1984. I hadn't seen it since '84. Absolutely stunning!

Last edited: