Nathan Chen | Page 826 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^I've often wondered how Nathan can get the words out so fast! :laugh: He talks SO fast! Hopefully he slows down a little when he is speaking to people from other countries!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
^^^I've often wondered how Nathan can get the words out so fast! :laugh: He talks SO fast! Hopefully he slows down a little when he is speaking to people from other countries!

I recall Misha Kolyada said that Nathan talks so fast during press conferences, he can't understand him. But he speaks more slowly with skaters from other countries :)

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Some responses from the Q&A:

Tips for double axels?:
Also, off ice – if your issue is underrotating, work on it off the ice, try to get the snap. Also another thing that helped me a lot is watching film of other skaters that you feel as though you have a connection to, or their technique is similar. There’s always like a little hidden trick that you might be able to find just from watching another skater, that you can carry into your own skating.

What kind of program music do you like best?:
I don’t think there’s a one specific genre that I like the best. But I definitely try to, each year, find something that I haven’t done in the past and sort of capitalize on that. Just because it’s like a new experience, something that you can continue – ideally for skating, I like to continue improving off of what I’ve done in the past. The idea is just to never to stop growing, right – so in that aspect, I think that being able to choose music that you haven’t done before or you’re not super comfortable with – is the key.

What is your favorite type of dance?:
I did a lot of ballet as a kid, which I think definitely helped a lot – but I definitely like hip-hop a lot more - it’s a lot more fun, you can kind of get into the groove of the music a lot better - and you’re listening to cooler songs, that helps too.

What brought you into skating in the first place?:
I actually did not really want to figure skate as a kid, I wanted to play hockey - I grew up next to a figure skating rink. But unfortunately, I’m like 5’5” so I would have gotten a little bit destroyed in hockey. I grew up in a family of 5, my mom just wanted to just keep all my brothers and sisters busy, out of school, just do some extracurriculars … and I live really close to an ice rink, so we ended up just going to the rink all the time. And so, through that I ended up spending time on publics with my sisters. Some coaches actually saw me, and they were like, “Oh, this kid is like, kind of good’ so they then asked my mom if they could take me for privates, and it kind of just developed like that. There wasn’t really like one initial moment where it was like, “This is what I want to do”, but it just kind of grew into something, and skating just became part of my life – and I would not trade it for the world.

Do you get nervous for competitions, and if you do – what do you do to help you do your best when you’re nervous?:
Nerves are so normal, every single skater is going to have nerves before they compete – especially at bigger competitions. For me, I get nervous before every time I perform – even at Stars on Ice, I get really nervous before I step on the ice. And I think that’s something that just means you care a lot about the sport, you care a lot about what you’re doing, so it’s definitely a good thing. And nerves honestly can bring out extra energy, and gives you power that you don’t think you’re capable of normally.
But at the same time, you have to also realize that every other skater around you, your competitors, are really nervous, they’re all in the same situation … they want to do their best …
Because truly the reason why you’re nervous is because you don’t want to make mistakes. But mistakes are normal, everyone makes mistakes. And so, being able to just overcome that and realize that – even if you make a mistake, it really doesn’t matter – you’ll have another opportunity in the future. You’ll always have other chances to redeem yourself. And if you really focus on that, and just allow yourself to realize that it’s okay to be human, then you’ll be able to skate a lot better.

What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve done at a competition?:
I’m really trying to think – but I honestly can’t really think of any super embarrassing moments – probably I just like blocked it out of my mind forever. I’m sure if you go back and watch some of my programs, there’s going to be something really silly that I’ve done – but at this moment I can’t really remember.

What was your biggest accomplishment?:
I’m pretty proud of my Olympics - long program I’d say. I had two really rough short programs – and so being able to come out of that, and sort of recalibrate – and put all of that behind me, was a pretty good moment for me. I was happy I was able to capitalize on that and continue growing after that.

What is the one piece of advice you would give young skaters and what’s your favorite element?:
My favorite element would be 4T, I think – I mean it kind of differs depending on which jump is good during that day – and I guess the best piece of advice – of course, you have to love what you do – that’s like #1, and I think also surrounding yourself with a team of people that care a lot about you – your family, your coaches, your trainers – anyone that helps you out throughout your skating career, definitely pay attention to that, and also keep those bonds close – because there are always going to be times where it’s tough, but you have to have people that you fall back on – is super key and super vital during those times.