Nathan Chen | Page 930 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

16Olympics

On the Ice
I think he might go back to Yale for another year, if the school year resumes as usual. Otherwise he could still take classes online and focus more on training, though who knows when the rink will be open again.

Having a busy life outside of skating has allowed him to put less pressure on himself in some ways. I’m not sure if the trade-off for focusing primarily/exclusively on skating would be worth it to him.

On a superficial note, the streaming of 2018 Worlds made me miss those nicely-fitted costumes. Remember when we (mostly) thought the Nemesis vanilla one-sleeve was quite ugly? How things have changed lol. They look nicer now (all of the black and white Veras from that season) in retrospect :p

Hopefully he’s doing okay at home! It’s a big change for him to go from college and training intensely - to staying at home, online classes, no skating, and more limited physical activity.

Perhaps with the way things might be next year for the skating season if it's limited, going back to school for another year might work out for him. It's the time right before and after World's 2021 that he has to be with Raf training to get the quads back and killer programs. If he did not go back I would think that given the current situation with all schools and colleges, Yale would be even more flexible than they are now for him and allow him to take 2 years off instead of 1 or he could do online instead, except for labs. He might be able to go to UC Irvine to take his lab courses and get credit for them towards his degree at Yale. To retain students after this crisis is important to the college. They wouldn't want to lose student numbers, especially Nathan.

1111bm

Final Flight
But the black/red shirt for Nemesis and the deep blue shirt for MLD are also better than Vera's. These shirts highlight Nathan's flow and dynamic on the ice. With Vera's, i can not feel the same way.(not to mention she cut off my favorite curls from nate for olympic:sad4:

Oh, I definitely agree that those early, temporary costumes in 2017 were actually the best in terms of how they complimented and accentuated his movements and the style of his programs, the casual and dashing choreo of Nemesis and that flowy character of MLD (and incidentally, the tousled curls did the same thing... and that's independent of me enjoying his curly hairdo for purely superficial reasons ;)).

I just meant that Vera's costumes had a gorgeous fit on him and that I enjoyed them from a design perspective.

(wow, you can tell the skating season is offically over with no news on the Nathan front, when we revisit and discuss his old costumes from over two seasons ago. :laugh:)

1111bm

Final Flight
The difference between the IG Live with Phil and this one with people he's actually friends with... :laugh:

And god he's beyond adorable, what the...
Love his humour, and it's so nice seeing him this relaxed and (seemingly) unguarded, chatting with friends and being more himself. Also: smiling and beaming almost throughout the whole time.

1111bm

Final Flight

I don't like McCarvel's style of writing :noshake: but that just as an aside.
Not much new info, he's repeating a lot of what Nathan said during the Live video. But since the article is meant for the general skating fans, who obviously haven't watched it, this was to be expected.

Anyone else notice how with each passing time, that Nathan speaks about his olympic experience and the way he felt back then, he seems to describe it as even worse than before? :(
I don't think I've ever heard him go so far as to say that he hated it and openly admit how very much overwhelmed he felt.
I know he's by far not the only one dealing with a lot pressure and expectations, but I think what gets to me is the fact the he was trying so much to play it cool and pretend to be tough. Maybe also trying to live up to his image, the way he was always presented in the media as someone who's so unfazed and in control of his emotions during competition?

(But also: Why the quad loop Nathan, why?? Why the hell you need that jump... )

chanchan

On the Ice
He just keep pushing himself to improve the BV szn by szn no matter what others do.
Not to beat anyone else, but to beat himself before.
4A seems imposssible now. So 4loop is the best choice.

(I don't like 4loop, either.:slink:

shine

Record Breaker
I don't like McCarvel's style of writing :noshake: but that just as an aside.
Not much new info, he's repeating a lot of what Nathan said during the Live video. But since the article is meant for the general skating fans, who obviously haven't watched it, this was to be expected.

Anyone else notice how with each passing time, that Nathan speaks about his olympic experience and the way he felt back then, he seems to describe it as even worse than before? :(
I don't think I've ever heard him go so far as to say that he hated it and openly admit how very much overwhelmed he felt.
I know he's by far not the only one dealing with a lot pressure and expectations, but I think what gets to me is the fact the he was trying so much to play it cool and pretend to be tough. Maybe also trying to live up to his image, the way he was always presented in the media as someone who's so unfazed and in control of his emotions during competition?

(But also: Why the quad loop Nathan, why?? Why the hell you need that jump... )

I don't know. It didn't surprise me at all hearing this from him. I think it's just now that he's further removed from this experience he can talk about it more calmly and objectively. Watching him through the entire Olympics (even during US Nationals) somehow I could sense how nervous and not in control of his mind the whole time (from the way he rushed through all of his programs, how he trying to appear calm and cool in all his interviews etc).