Nathan Chen | Page 922 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

Ella5555

On the Ice
It wasn’t flawless, but considering his lack of training time and illness, I’ll take it. To me, he didn’t look completely recovered either, even though he said he was fine. Hard to be perfect every time - especially when that’s what most people expect. Considering the circumstances, well done - his 4th National title!

sheetz

Record Breaker
Hersh article: Nathan Chen, from flu-ridden on his coach’s floor, fights for 4th U.S. title

Rafael Arutunian showed me a photo on his phone of Nathan Chen sleeping on the floor in the coach’s office at Great Park Ice Arena when he was supposed to be practicing earlier this month.

Arutunian said he could have taken the same picture on eight days in the 2 1/2 weeks they spent together at his Irvine, Calif., training base during Chen’s semester break from Yale.

Arutunian would see the flu-ridden and feverish Chen curled up asleep, turn off the light, leave the room and wait until Chen woke up before trying to have him do any training.

In the past, Arutunian said, Chen could train through sickness. This time it was futile.

“He couldn’t move,” Arutunian said.

discode

Final Flight
He was working hard in practice I noticed. Even doing complete run thrus without the music a few times. He really was out for awhile and catching up. Glad everything went as well as it did.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Congrats to King Nathan!!! What a champion.....he was so sick and not feeling well up until not too long ago. What an athlete and a competitor! He's just in a different dimension than any other skater truly. I hope people and fans do not take him for granted at how great he is, after he is still human. I appreciate what he does and hope he continues to get even better (which i know he's doing quietly...away from obstructing eyes!! LOL). Now....on to Worlds!!!

sheetz

Record Breaker
Article: Manifesting Mamba Mentality, Nathan Chen Is First In 32 Years To Win Four Straight Nationals
Often on his phone and very connected to social media, Nathan Chen saw the news of Kobe Bryant’s death within minutes of it being reported Sunday afternoon. The two-time Olympic basketball champion and 13-year-old daughter Gianna were among nine who died in a helicopter crash.

“I thought it was some fake news that was circulating,” Chen said. “I honestly can’t even believe it still. He’s a cultural icon.”

But the 20-year-old figure skater knew he had a job to do, and he channeled Bryant’s attitude: “The Mamba Mentality,” as it’s known. Within hours of learning of the icon’s death Chen took to the ice at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex and performed a winning free skate that included four quadruple jumps.

-----------------------
All US Champions with the trophy
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1221655502872031233

Worlds Team
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1221639468173680641

Boitano introducing Nathan at the Gala (w/ cameo by Dick Button)
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2020/status/1221636782602608641

Back flip
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2020/status/1221634615460319232

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan named USSA male athlete of the year! Did anyone remember to vote? I only a did a couple of times :laugh:
https://ussa.edu/news/nathan-chen-k...es-sports-academys-2019-athletes-of-the-year/
Following an online voting period that garnered thousands of votes from all corners of the world, American figure skating superstar Nathan Chen and Estonian freestyle skiing sensation Kelly Sildaru were selected as the United States Sports Academy’s 2019 Male and Female Athletes of the Year.

Chen became the first American man since 1984 to win back-to-back world championships. Chen also won his third consecutive ISU Grand Prix Final and captured championships at the Internationaux de France and Skate America. He also won his third consecutive U.S. title, smashing the record for the highest margin of victory at 58.21 points.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan! Hope he gets some much needed rest and we will see him again in two months!

1111bm

Final Flight
Just rewatched both his programs.

Ugh, he moves so beautifully and fluid in La Boheme, how can anyone not recognise that?? He's so soft and 'floaty' and as always, beautiful lines, I would kill for those arm movements! It's as if he's gently caressing the air :laugh:

I had only seen his FS once and I wasn't able to pay a lot of attention to it then, and now that I finally did, I was totally surprised how he managed to keep it together throughout the program despite struggling with stamina. I didn't recall his choreo sequence being this energetic, I think I was kinda biased the first time around, knowing that he was struggling, but watching it with a fresh mind, it didn't look tired or anything like that at all, he was totally selling it, and that's in the end of an already tiring skate. Literally the only tell-tale sign that his legs must have been heavy and tired in the end was his leaving out of that one little choreo jump.

(Now I know, one could say, why didn't he simply jump fewer quads, but that's not what he does. He didn't end up where he is now, by playing it safely throughout his career.
And I'm sure he feels some pressure or expectations too, to deliver in terms of technical content, never mind his own pride and simply loving the thrill of landing difficult jumps. But enough with the kitchen psychology... :laugh:)

frida80

Record Breaker
Sorry, I got sick. I forgot to load up on vitamins before going to a place with a ton of people. L

Here’s my live experience. Nathan was a little cautious yesterday. More focused on getting through the program. He lost spear around his last two jumping passes, but perked up during his choreographical sequence. He had the audience in the palm of his hands by then.

His quads looks incredible live. Light, fast, and crisp. I think we were all nervous about his cold, but once he landed his 3A the audience relaxed.

Went to the exhibition as well. Yes it was next to me again, but seeing it live is incredible. He delivers it with such energy. Back flip looks a lot more secure this time.

Nathan really is such a sweetie pie. Long after the exhibition he keep meeting with groups of fans in the audience, signjng autographs, answering questions, and posing for selfies with his trademark smize.

I loved it so much, I decided I’m definitely going to SA next year. I’ll just have to balance Vegas time appropriately.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I thought it was pretty clear that he didn't quite have his usual energy in the FS, which is why he had trouble on the landing of his -3S. The 3A also didn't have the usual height and there was little flow out of the 3Lo.

I agree that the skating in the SP was wonderful--so smooth and controlled with good speed. Hopefully the rumors that SLB has moved to Irvine are true, because Nathan (and many of Raf's students, TBH) would greatly benefit from working with her on a constant basis, especially in the lead up to the Olympics. Originally I thought he should spend the summer at Gadbois, but having Shae at Irvine would be even better!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just stopping in to say :hap10::yes2: Nathan. This weekends skates were amazing! Congrats to the only 4 time consecutive US mens champion since Boitano! :2thumbs: