Nathan Chen | Page 926 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

luckyu2

On the Ice
Well, while almost every other fan thread is cheering how amazing their boi/girl is, Nathan fans all have something to whine about..how creative we are lol

discode

Final Flight
La Boheme is a great program that only gets better and better. It's really grown as a program since the first time he did it. The first time he did the program it really just reminded me of a less interesting Caravan/Nemesis. Now La Boheme is it's own program.

And gotta disagree about his FS. Rocketman is better than MLD (which was boring and didn't fit him) and Land of All tbh. I love it.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Now I feel bad :p. I think this season’s programs are still good overall, and of course it’s a matter of preference on which are our favorites :)

I think MLD is a more sophisticated and thoughtful program than Rocketman, but he didn’t seem to like skating it too much, at least towards the end of the season. Rostelecom Cup performance was really beautiful. He seems to enjoy skating Rocketman a lot more, which obviously helps a lot in its presentation. It appears he has a good working relationship with MFD and team, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he continues with them for future FS.

He looks great in the Skyliners video and wishing him good health for Worlds!

shine

Record Breaker
La Boheme works better as a show program under the spotlights and Rocketman could use a few more choreographic details, but I generally like them. More importantly, I feel he's learning things that will help further his development as a skater and performer. With La Boheme he's had to slow down and skate in a more relaxed fashion, while with Rocketman he's continued to learn new choreographic moves. For the Olympic season his team will be able to look back on his repertoire and pick out those things which he's done the best.
But for slow and relaxed...he’s already shown himself to be more than capable in Chopin and MLD—and to a lesser degree—LoA as well. Not to mention Chopin and MLD were more intricate choreographically as well. It’s a fine program, but I’m not really seeing how La Boheme is challenging him in new ways tbh. The only “new” element about La Boheme for him is maybe...the angst? I am also of the sentiment that the stuff he’s been doing with the Gadbois school has really not pushed him artistically (and it’s especially frustrating to see this because they have done such memorable programs for their dance teams). The dance moves Sam gives him have been fun to watch but unfortunately they’ve also been the only interesting parts of his past two FS’s. The problem I have with these two FSs is that they are soooooo simple and generic, so much so that I could have choreographed them. They lack any choreographic nuances and are just not developing his interpretive abilities in any way. Sorry but I don’t really consider landing jumps on the beat interpretation :( I agree with those who say the stsq’s have been a letdown (a huge one for me personally). In MLD when he stripped off 80% of the nuances towards the end at least he still had that one killer stsq. Here’s a message to Nathan: just because you have one cool chsq at the end of the program doesn’t mean you can’t have an awesome stsq too (especially when you are someone who could totally excel at it!)

K semi-annual rant over :p

sheetz

Record Breaker
But for slow and relaxed...he’s already shown himself to be more than capable in Chopin and MLD—

I don't think it's quite the same as he's skating a lot more powerfully now. When I mean "slowing down" I refer mainly to his upper body movements, not his speed on the ice. It's one thing to be relaxed while you're stopped or barely moving on the ice and another to do that while you're flying across the rink like he does now.

------------------
News for anyone in the New Haven area:

Nathan is performing tomorrow in the Yale figure skating club ice show.
https://allevents.in/new haven/ycfsc-presents-leaps-and-bounds/200019222627710

shine

Record Breaker
I don't think it's quite the same as he's skating a lot more powerfully now. When I mean "slowing down" I refer mainly to his upper body movements not his speed on the ice.
Me too, and hence the examples I gave. The music for these programs all had a lyrical quality and slow-ish pacing.
It's one thing to be relaxed while you're stopped or barely moving on the ice and another to do that while you're flying across the rink like he does now.
But Nathan was never "barely moving on the ice" in those programs? :confused:

sheetz

Record Breaker
But Nathan was never "barely moving on the ice" in those programs? :confused:

He's just so much faster now compared to even two years ago. I watched 2018 Worlds FS a few days ago and I was shocked at how slow he looked. And I also remember Kurt Browning saying he needed more speed going into his jumps in his 2015 JWC FS.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
He skated cautiously at 2018 Worlds, Nemesis was quite slow too. His speed has improved a lot since then!

1111bm

Final Flight
Lol @ Nathan for skating at the show in his practice clothes. :laugh:
At least he made an effort and chose the turquoise top for a splash of colour. :biggrin:

But seriously, I think he literally just went straight after a training session to the show. You can tell that he must've been tired and was taking it very easy with only 1-2 quads (?), no combinations and a watered down ChSq and spins, saving his energy for his two 'wow elements' the Lutz kick and back flip.
I hope he's fine and this is a sign of him taking care of himself and not risking a silly injury due to overdoing it while being tired with heavy legs.

Ella5555

On the Ice
Lol @ Nathan for skating at the show in his practice clothes. :laugh:
At least he made an effort and chose the turquoise top for a splash of colour. :biggrin:

But seriously, I think he literally just went straight after a training session to the show. You can tell that he must've been tired and was taking it very easy with only 1-2 quads (?), no combinations and a watered down ChSq and spins, saving his energy for his two 'wow elements' the Lutz kick and back flip.
I hope he's fine and this is a sign of him taking care of himself and not risking a silly injury due to overdoing it while being tired with heavy legs.
I agree that it probably was watered down intentionally - especially since this was just an exhibition. There was no point in going full out. I think the audience was very happy just to see him in person. Glad to see that the Lutz is back. I’m wondering if he was a little injured at Nationals in addition to being sick. I think that is why Raf may have been so pleased with his FS even though it was slightly flawed.

zebobes

Final Flight
I know this isn't super important, but I find it incredibly irritating that people can't genuinely just vote for which performance they prefer. Currently, in the video performances that are shared, Nathan has 142 likes, Cain-Gribble/Leduc have 33. And yet in the actual votes, it is currently 49.7% to Nathan, 50.3% to C-G/L.

Now, why would there be people voting on the poll who don't take the time to appreciate C-G/L? We can easily think of reasons and point fingers, and I don't want to do that. I personally don't think that Nathan's performances in Galas are the best, and I don't mind people voting for other skaters. I just think it's dumb when people are voting for someone they don't even appreciate because they dislike a certain skater, and I'm not sure why USFS is putting together this skating bracket when they know that there are ferociously loyal skating fans on twitter.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Currently Nathan is back on top, but there was a suspiciously huge spike in votes yesterday around the time that Darlene Cain replied to the Tweet, so I thought that maybe she organized a voting squad to support C-G/L?

The tournament could get fun and interesting if some underdog skaters can rally the votes.

---------------------------------------------
Ice Chips show tickets on sale now.
https://twitter.com/SkatingClubBOS/status/1235043490725105665

I do wonder about Nathan's scheduled show appearances in Japan and Italy and whether or not they will still take place.