Nathan Chen | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

reneerose

Final Flight
Thanks. I hope he is conscious of his big picture. I know he's getting major points but please Nathan don't end up retiring early because your body can't hold up under the stresses of repeated quads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well at least Nathan only does triple jumps during his EX, so he's learned his lesson there.

So, with both Raf and Marina to attend the GPF (Raf with Adam, and Marina with Patrick and the Shibs), who do you think will sit with Nathan in the KnC? I would like to see Marina during the SP and Raf in the FS. I doubt we'll get both of them to sit with him, but we'll see.

reneerose

Final Flight
Whoever is available. Glad to see support between him and Raf at NHK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
congratulations to Nathan for making to the GPF fat his 1st senior season!!!!!:yahoo:
i just love watching his SP, esp stsq, its so great and shows the potential he has :luv17: fp still has a lot to work on but he will get there, and it was great decision to take 4S out (for the time being at least), it wasnt easy going after Yuzuru but even though he made some mistakes i think he is mentally very strong, cant wait to see him grow more and more :luv17:
btw, i updated the OP, if there are anything you want to see just let me know :agree:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
WOOOOOOOOOW!!! what an incredible performance that was!! i know he needs to work on his transitions esp in the 1st half but when jumps are landed it really works (and music helped a lot too :biggrin:) it was so exciting to see him land those big elements one after the other and his 3A didnt fail him this competition!!! :yahoo: probably the best ones i have seen him land :luv17: he is getting better and better, cant wait to see him develop more!!

narcissa

Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan!! US men's figure skating might start to be exciting to watch again! He did amazing here and for his first senior GPF, that's amazing. If he can stay healthy I can definitely see him medalling at Worlds and the Olympics.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
After the awful men's competition, I've kept rewatching Nathan's FS as a remedy. What a gutsy performance he showed. I don't want to jinx him, so not going to say about what he is going to be, but man, he has surprised me over and over.

Last edited:

zebobes

Final Flight
Anybody think that Nathan will be doing a 4T-4T combo sooner or later? He can seem to tack a 3T to anything, with a couple more years on the 4T, I feel like he could start making that into a combo jump.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan! My goodness what a skate from him. :bow: Amazing that a year ago he underwent surgery.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan (aka Slaythan) certainly stole the show in the men's event and took the spotlight off of Yuzu for a hot minute. Let's hope he stays healthy, and if he skates like this at Nationals, he's got to be in top contention for the World team.

So, I'm curious, do you think he'll be splitting his time between Raf and Marina or just train with Raf until Nationals? He seemed to perform better when Raf was with him. I know I keep harping on this, but his coaching situation is fascinating to me.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
So, I'm curious, do you think he'll be splitting his time between Raf and Marina or just train with Raf until Nationals? He seemed to perform better when Raf was with him. I know I keep harping on this, but his coaching situation is fascinating to me.

that is one very big mistery :laugh: i would love to know the answer as well :popcorn:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Nathan for WINNING the Free Skate against all those gorgeous skaters ... at his first GPF and even in his first Senior season.:dance3:

What he did over the week-end is truly amazing, and he's gotten steadily better over this season. I can't get over the emotional impact all those quads made, just pow! pow! pow! building and each one gorgeous. I'm not the biggest fan of quads for their own sake, but Nathan really aced them and even better gave the program emotional power by landing them to the music. So proud of him!

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Wow, what a fantastic performance at #GPFinal! It will be exciting to watch Nathan grow over the years - his jumps are amazing and he has such musicality! Well done, Nathan.

Tahuu

On the Ice
After the awful men's competition, I've kept rewatching Nathan's FS as a remedy. What a gutsy performance he showed. I don't want to jinx him, so not going to say about what he is going to be, but man, he has surprised me over and over.

Same here. If you watch his FS (197.55, top 10 on IJS list) w/o the distractive commentary, you can see his elements, the quads, the chsq, the triples, the stsq, the spins and the in-between moves, all match or enhance the music. I'd give his PF, IN and CH 9.0 here.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Nathen is due for a much deserved PCS boost at nationals and world.
Watched his FS again, it goes with the music so well, lots of details in the in between elements. The whole music was epic to go with his epic feat. It will be truly amazing if he manage to go clean some how...

Congratulations Nathen, keep it together for the worlds and you are unstoppable.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Hi, first post here. I found this enlightening interview with Nathan after the NHK Cup. It's in Japanese but I'm studying the language and have translated it to the best of my ability. Can't guarantee it's 100% accurate but it should be close, and way better than Google Translate.
http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/2016_2017/chen.html

Q: First off all, congratulations on your silver at NHK Cup.
A: I was happiest to be able to compete and skate on the same rink with Yuzuru Hanyu, whom I’ve admired for years. And to stand alongside him on the podium, there was no greater honor. For years Hanyu’s been the main skater I’ve had my attention on.

Q: In your short program at NHK Cup you successfully landed the first 4F-3T combination in history.
A: I fell on the 4Lz, which was good at other competitions, and also made a mistake on the 3A, which is still unstable. Because of those 2 big mistakes I’m disappointed with the short program overall. Since I fell on the Lutz I did the 4F combination, but by landing that well my impression of the short program is okay. Being a world’s first was just the result of that.

Q: Your 2nd place at NHK was wonderful. And you’re headed to the GPF.
A: This is my senior debut season, and my goals for the GP Series were to get on the podium and to make the finals. I’m really happy to achieve both goals. Since my last season was cut short by injuries I want to train to avoid getting injured now that I’m in the GPF.

Q: Making the finals in your senior debut is outstanding. Does it feel real to you?
A: I want to see how I fare at the senior level. All summer I was anxiously awaiting my senior debut, so this season I’m just doing the best I can without worrying about missing my jumps. Beginning at Finlandia Cup I was still a new face and just thinking about how to draw attention to myself, and I felt I should jump without fear. Medalling at NHK Cup was also good and I was glad to be on the podium next to Hanyu.

Q: I understand this is the first time you met Hanyu.
A: I thought Hanyu was amazing. For a long time I was only able to watch his performances on the internet or TV and this was my first time seeing him live. I was impressed. He has 4 quads in his free program, but still expresses to the audience his enjoyment of the performance. His ability to focus not only on the jumps is fantastic. His concentration and mental strength are outstanding. Practicing with him I really sensed his fighting spirit. I felt I needed to push myself more like that.

Q: Conversely, Hanyu has noticed you as well. Your ability to land 4 varieties of quads has become a topic of conversation.
A: A quadruple jump is not anything special, just a slight increase in rotation. Two days before turning 13 I landed my first triple axel but wasn’t able to jump quads for some time after that. I first landed the 4T in practice when I was 15 and also successful landed it at Nationals. Two weeks after landing the 4T I Ianded the 4S, and then the 4F when I was 16. Relatively soon after that I landed the 4Lz.

Q: In your opinion what do you think is the secret to jumping quads?
A: In my case I think it’s explosiveness. Of course I train my muscles in the gym to create the body necessary for quads. And as I’m still young, my movements are quick. Stepping into a jump, the trick is to react with the knee, ankle, and upper body all at once, and then bring them all together with good balance. In general I’d say fast reflexes are important for quads. Mistakes are usually due to slow reaction.

Q: So you’re saying the speed of your reflexes are more important than your muscles?
A: That’s right. Luckily it seems my reflexes are naturally quick. And then my body is slender so my rotation in the air is fast. That type of physique seems to be an advantage; Hanyu and Javier Fernandez both have compact physiques.

Q: You’re coming off an injury riddled season.
A: In general injuries are my worst enemy. The 2014-2015 season was tough as I suffered from occasional growing pains. My knees, back, hips, and upper body were all injured. I also had a growth spurt. With all these changes in my body the last two years have been hard.

Q: Last season, after placing 3rd at US Nationals you injured yourself and had to abandon the 2nd half of your season.
A: At Nationals I landed 4 quads and captured the bronze medal. I felt that was a big step up for me. I was preparing for Junior Worlds and bursting with energy, but I hurt my hip at the exhibition and had to have surgery. But thanks to the surgery and rehab there have been no lasting effects from the injury.

Q: Have you learned anything from the injury, and are you making any countermeasures?
A: I wasn’t able to skate for two months after the surgery so I was really anxious. But since I was moving up to seniors this year I made myself start from scratch. Looking back at my injuries, they were caused by forcing myself to practice when I was already worn out. Therefore, it was of primary importance to build up my body. As I wasn’t able to resume jump training immediately, I began building the strength to be able to complete 5 quads in my free program.

Q: Five quads in a free program is amazing.
A: I can do them because I’m young. In my estimation, landing 4 or 5 quads is more about possessing the physical ability than the technical ability so that recovering during a program is of great importance. If it’s just a matter of landing 4 varieties of quads in practice then I think it’s possible at any age. But to put 5 quads in a program is something else. It becomes more challenging as you get older. Which is why this season I want to take on this challenge at age 17 despite some thinking it absurd.

Q: 5 quads is very risky. If a high score or placement is your goal then I think even 3 quads might be enough.
A: Naturally, on top of competing I want to win. But this is my senior debut season and I’m still 17 so not at the age to obsess about my placement. At any rate, my goal for this season is to land 4 varieties of quads in the free, 5 quads altogether if I can. When I thought about my age this became my strategy.

Q: At NHK Cup you changed it to 4 quads (3 varieties, 4 altogether).
A: After the Trophee de France I decided on that after speaking with my coach, Rafael Arutunian. I tried 5 quads of 4 varieties there but it was a bit too much. I haven’t abandoned the plan, but I’m thinking maybe I could gradually slide into it. Especially since the 4S has gotten worse, practicing it at a time like that could bring out some bad habits. So we decided to just put in the stable quads.

Q: In the free program you attempted 4 quads and were successful with 2 of the 3 varieties.
A: At NHK Cup I was feeling it more during the free program compared to the short so was able to land the 4F and the 4T. The 4Lz was better at other competitions but it’s a really risky jump and therefore can’t be helped. It was significant to attempt it at this time.

Q: So tell us about how you got to this point. When did you begin skating?
A: I started skating at age 3 in Salt Lake City. I’m the youngest of 5 children. My two older brothers played ice hockey and my 2 older sisters figure skated.

Q: Did you learn other sports?
A: At age 5 I began studying ballet at Ballet West Academy. I think I practiced that more than figure skating. That’s why I was flexible enough to do a Biellmann spin as a child. However, I injured my back so I haven’t tried doing that recently. Anyway, since I have a foundation in classical ballet I think I can blend dance, outward expression, and choreography.

Q: This season, in addition to Rafael Arutunian you’re with Marina Zueva. What is your training set up?
A: Until now I’ve been training with Rafael. His jump technique is outstanding. It’s just that this season I was moving up to seniors so I’ve been training with Marina since the summer. As she’s an ice dance coach I’ve been working to strengthen my basic skating skills and presentation. I’m also training alongside Patrick Chan so it’s been a stimulating place.

Q: You’re still learning your jumps with Arutunian?
A: That’s right. I haven’t changed coaches. For jumps I communicate with Rafael. Marina choreographed this season’s short program and I’m learning ice dancing footwork and exercises to polish up my basic skating skills. That’s the most essential thing to me right now.

Q: Have you seen results from learning ice dance footwork?
A: Of course. There still may be more results to come next season. Nevertheless, to properly jump 4 varieties of quads isn’t simply a matter of studying jump technique, it’s also a matter of studying footwork. After training my muscles in the gym Marina coaches me on how to use those muscles on the ice. I’m learning a lot.

Q: So you’re enjoying this season and your journey towards the Pyeongchang Olympics?
A: My goal for this season is to first make it to Worlds. It’s the year before the Pyeongchang Olympics so it’s an important competition. Next season my goal is to make the Olympic team. I’m not thinking of medals yet. At any rate, for this season it’s important to land 4 varieties of quads in the free program. If I can do that I’ll set my sights higher for next season. That’ll be my weapon. Concentrating on the quads this season and not thinking about my placement is my strategy leading up to next season.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Welcome Sheetz, post often and long.:) Good job on the translation. Canon always does interesting and in-depth interviews with skaters. I really like their interview series. :thumbsup: