Nathan Chen | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
welcome and thanks so much for translating the interview sheetz!!! :thank: it was great to learn his point of view and can see that he isnt just some reckless kid throws himself out on the ice (ok, maybe he is a little :biggrin:) and that he has a plan, we will see whether it will work or not in time, but he sounds more careful about his health than people think
btw, his explanation on how to jump/land quads is so much understandable than Yuzuru's "shuu" and "pa" :biggrin::laugh:

Edit: and new article about Nathan written by Philip Hersh at icenetwork

Last edited:

Tahuu

On the Ice
Thanks Sheetz for translating the Canon interview. I am glad to hear Nathan has a plan to get where he wants to go.

Reading the Hersh article, I am intrigued that Marina continues to help Nathan, despite Rafael's rants in the Russian interview following TdF. Huge respect to Her. I think Working with both Rafael and Marina is best for Nathan.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such an interesting interview. Thank you Sheetz. When I read this, it gives me hope that maybe Nathan isn't quite as reckless as I've thought. It sounds like he did learn some very important lessons from his injury. I give him a lot of credit for winning the silver medal in his debut senior season and can't wait to see him at Nationals! :clapper:

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Hi, first post here. I found this enlightening interview with Nathan after the NHK Cup. It's in Japanese but I'm studying the language and have translated it to the best of my ability. Can't guarantee it's 100% accurate but it should be close, and way better than Google Translate.
http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/2016_2017/chen.html

Thanks a bunch sheetz. This is such an informative interview. The translation was great.

gsyzf

Medalist

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I like Nathan. He is refreshing. Pragmatic, intelligent, yet fiercely ambitious while seems realistic with the goals one step at a time for someone so young. He is also humble and modest enough to admit he can do this is because of his physique and youth. It is about finding the right balance and it is the great insight to his strategic mind, obviously about making the biggest splash as possible in his season debut, the fight for the US senior men spot. Something he succeeded so far. The US couldn't have asked for a better 'potential' to fight against the big 3.

He was super smart to pick both Russian coaches and play them to their strengths while representing the US. Working along side the likes of Patrick Chan couldn't have been a better peer/goal to look up to and learn from. This kid can go far, and his improvements are visible competition by competition, at least to me.

Other than worried about his injuries, the kid can go far!!!

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
He still wants to do the quad salchow which he lost this season.

The 5 quad FS will be for the Olympic season.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Hi, first post here. I found this enlightening interview with Nathan after the NHK Cup. It's in Japanese but I'm studying the language and have translated it to the best of my ability. Can't guarantee it's 100% accurate but it should be close, and way better than Google Translate.
http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/2016_2017/chen.html

Q: First off all, congratulations on your silver at NHK Cup.
A: I was happiest to be able to compete and skate on the same rink with Yuzuru Hanyu, whom I’ve admired for years. And to stand alongside him on the podium, there was no greater honor. For years Hanyu’s been the main skater I’ve had my attention on.

Q: In your short program at NHK Cup you successfully landed the first 4F-3T combination in history.
A: I fell on the 4Lz, which was good at other competitions, and also made a mistake on the 3A, which is still unstable. Because of those 2 big mistakes I’m disappointed with the short program overall. Since I fell on the Lutz I did the 4F combination, but by landing that well my impression of the short program is okay. Being a world’s first was just the result of that.

Q: Your 2nd place at NHK was wonderful. And you’re headed to the GPF.
A: This is my senior debut season, and my goals for the GP Series were to get on the podium and to make the finals. I’m really happy to achieve both goals. Since my last season was cut short by injuries I want to train to avoid getting injured now that I’m in the GPF.

Q: Making the finals in your senior debut is outstanding. Does it feel real to you?
A: I want to see how I fare at the senior level. All summer I was anxiously awaiting my senior debut, so this season I’m just doing the best I can without worrying about missing my jumps. Beginning at Finlandia Cup I was still a new face and just thinking about how to draw attention to myself, and I felt I should jump without fear. Medalling at NHK Cup was also good and I was glad to be on the podium next to Hanyu.

Q: I understand this is the first time you met Hanyu.
A: I thought Hanyu was amazing. For a long time I was only able to watch his performances on the internet or TV and this was my first time seeing him live. I was impressed. He has 4 quads in his free program, but still expresses to the audience his enjoyment of the performance. His ability to focus not only on the jumps is fantastic. His concentration and mental strength are outstanding. Practicing with him I really sensed his fighting spirit. I felt I needed to push myself more like that.

Q: Conversely, Hanyu has noticed you as well. Your ability to land 4 varieties of quads has become a topic of conversation.
A: A quadruple jump is not anything special, just a slight increase in rotation. Two days before turning 13 I landed my first triple axel but wasn’t able to jump quads for some time after that. I first landed the 4T in practice when I was 15 and also successful landed it at Nationals. Two weeks after landing the 4T I Ianded the 4S, and then the 4F when I was 16. Relatively soon after that I landed the 4Lz.

Q: In your opinion what do you think is the secret to jumping quads?
A: In my case I think it’s explosiveness. Of course I train my muscles in the gym to create the body necessary for quads. And as I’m still young, my movements are quick. Stepping into a jump, the trick is to react with the knee, ankle, and upper body all at once, and then bring them all together with good balance. In general I’d say fast reflexes are important for quads. Mistakes are usually due to slow reaction.

Q: So you’re saying the speed of your reflexes are more important than your muscles?
A: That’s right. Luckily it seems my reflexes are naturally quick. And then my body is slender so my rotation in the air is fast. That type of physique seems to be an advantage; Hanyu and Javier Fernandez both have compact physiques.

Q: You’re coming off an injury riddled season.
A: In general injuries are my worst enemy. The 2014-2015 season was tough as I suffered from occasional growing pains. My knees, back, hips, and upper body were all injured. I also had a growth spurt. With all these changes in my body the last two years have been hard.

Q: Last season, after placing 3rd at US Nationals you injured yourself and had to abandon the 2nd half of your season.
A: At Nationals I landed 4 quads and captured the bronze medal. I felt that was a big step up for me. I was preparing for Junior Worlds and bursting with energy, but I hurt my hip at the exhibition and had to have surgery. But thanks to the surgery and rehab there have been no lasting effects from the injury.

Q: Have you learned anything from the injury, and are you making any countermeasures?
A: I wasn’t able to skate for two months after the surgery so I was really anxious. But since I was moving up to seniors this year I made myself start from scratch. Looking back at my injuries, they were caused by forcing myself to practice when I was already worn out. Therefore, it was of primary importance to build up my body. As I wasn’t able to resume jump training immediately, I began building the strength to be able to complete 5 quads in my free program.

Q: Five quads in a free program is amazing.
A: I can do them because I’m young. In my estimation, landing 4 or 5 quads is more about possessing the physical ability than the technical ability so that recovering during a program is of great importance. If it’s just a matter of landing 4 varieties of quads in practice then I think it’s possible at any age. But to put 5 quads in a program is something else. It becomes more challenging as you get older. Which is why this season I want to take on this challenge at age 17 despite some thinking it absurd.

Q: 5 quads is very risky. If a high score or placement is your goal then I think even 3 quads might be enough.
A: Naturally, on top of competing I want to win. But this is my senior debut season and I’m still 17 so not at the age to obsess about my placement. At any rate, my goal for this season is to land 4 varieties of quads in the free, 5 quads altogether if I can. When I thought about my age this became my strategy.

Q: At NHK Cup you changed it to 4 quads (3 varieties, 4 altogether).
A: After the Trophee de France I decided on that after speaking with my coach, Rafael Arutunian. I tried 5 quads of 4 varieties there but it was a bit too much. I haven’t abandoned the plan, but I’m thinking maybe I could gradually slide into it. Especially since the 4S has gotten worse, practicing it at a time like that could bring out some bad habits. So we decided to just put in the stable quads.

Q: In the free program you attempted 4 quads and were successful with 2 of the 3 varieties.
A: At NHK Cup I was feeling it more during the free program compared to the short so was able to land the 4F and the 4T. The 4Lz was better at other competitions but it’s a really risky jump and therefore can’t be helped. It was significant to attempt it at this time.

Q: So tell us about how you got to this point. When did you begin skating?
A: I started skating at age 3 in Salt Lake City. I’m the youngest of 5 children. My two older brothers played ice hockey and my 2 older sisters figure skated.

Q: Did you learn other sports?
A: At age 5 I began studying ballet at Ballet West Academy. I think I practiced that more than figure skating. That’s why I was flexible enough to do a Biellmann spin as a child. However, I injured my back so I haven’t tried doing that recently. Anyway, since I have a foundation in classical ballet I think I can blend dance, outward expression, and choreography.

Q: This season, in addition to Rafael Arutunian you’re with Marina Zueva. What is your training set up?
A: Until now I’ve been training with Rafael. His jump technique is outstanding. It’s just that this season I was moving up to seniors so I’ve been training with Marina since the summer. As she’s an ice dance coach I’ve been working to strengthen my basic skating skills and presentation. I’m also training alongside Patrick Chan so it’s been a stimulating place.

Q: You’re still learning your jumps with Arutunian?
A: That’s right. I haven’t changed coaches. For jumps I communicate with Rafael. Marina choreographed this season’s short program and I’m learning ice dancing footwork and exercises to polish up my basic skating skills. That’s the most essential thing to me right now.

Q: Have you seen results from learning ice dance footwork?
A: Of course. There still may be more results to come next season. Nevertheless, to properly jump 4 varieties of quads isn’t simply a matter of studying jump technique, it’s also a matter of studying footwork. After training my muscles in the gym Marina coaches me on how to use those muscles on the ice. I’m learning a lot.

Q: So you’re enjoying this season and your journey towards the Pyeongchang Olympics?
A: My goal for this season is to first make it to Worlds. It’s the year before the Pyeongchang Olympics so it’s an important competition. Next season my goal is to make the Olympic team. I’m not thinking of medals yet. At any rate, for this season it’s important to land 4 varieties of quads in the free program. If I can do that I’ll set my sights higher for next season. That’ll be my weapon. Concentrating on the quads this season and not thinking about my placement is my strategy leading up to next season.

Lol, that's funny because he did this interview in English...so it's an English translation of a Japanese translation of an English interview... :laugh:

(what I meant to say is...thanks for typing this up, I really appreciate it :biggrin:)

gsyzf

Medalist
I like Nathan is refreshing. Pragmatic intelligent, yet fiercely ambitious yet realistic with the goals for someone so young. He is also humble and modest enough to say he can do this is because of his physique and youth. It is about finding the right balance and it is the great insight to his strategic mind, which is obviously about making the biggest splash as possible in his season debut, the fight for the US senior men spot. Something he succeeded so far. The US couldn't have asked for a better 'potential' to be among the big 3.

He was super smart to pick both Russian coaches and play them to their strengths while representing the US. Working along side the likes of Patrick Chan couldn't have been a better peer/goal to look up to and learn from. This kid can go far, and his improvements are visible competition by competition, at least to me.

Other than worried about his injuries, the kid can go far!!!

Are his parents from Beijing? That would also be helpful for him to compete in Beijing Olympics in 2022.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I feel the need to join Nathan's fan fest. :) He's a joy to watch, a very natural skater. What he does looks right, I really like him. Hope he won't have to deal with major injuries in the years to come.

gsyzf

Medalist
He still wants to do the quad salchow which he lost this season.

The 5 quad FS will be for the Olympic season.

I think he might try 4s and 5 quad LP at 4CC, but probably not at national and WC. Too much is at skate at national and Wc. He needs to make the worlds team and place high enough at WC to help USA earn 3 spots for the olympics. 4Cc is not as important, so he can take a bigger risk there. I think he plans 5 quad because his 3A isn't very consistent. If his 3A is strong, he would've planned 4 different quads + two 3A.

da96103

Record Breaker
I think he might try 4s and 5 quad LP at 4CC, but probably not at national and WC. Too much is at skate at national and Wc. He needs to make the worlds team and place high enough at WC to help USA earn 3 spots for the olympics. 4Cc is not as important, so he can take a bigger risk there. I think he plans 5 quad because his 3A isn't very consistent. If his 3A is strong, he would've planned 4 different quads + two 3A.

Plus next year's 4CC is the Non-European Olympics in the same rink. A little test drive for the actual program he wants to do in 2018

zebobes

Final Flight
From Patrick thread:

Perfectly synchronized 3As with no music nor other clues.

I love the self-deprecating comment in the picture.

The jump combo I hope he does is a Triple Lutz, half loop, Triple Flip combo. He has such a good lutz and flip, theoretically, it shouldn't be a problem for him, right? :laugh:

gsyzf

Medalist
I love the self-deprecating comment in the picture.

The jump combo I hope he does is a Triple Lutz, half loop, Triple Flip combo. He has such a good lutz and flip, theoretically, it shouldn't be a problem for him, right? :laugh:

That's a possibility for the future. I think right now he is trying to get his 3A consistent and work on his 5 quad plan. He seems to get along with Patrick quite well. He can learn a lot from Patrick. I thought his style was similar to Patrick's 1-2 years ago. But now he seems to have developed his own style.

sarama

Medalist
I love this Patrick/Nathan friendship...with Maia and Alex too: They seem so happy to train and share so many experiences together!