Nathan Chen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Do you think if he went senior this year they would have given him a second GP assignment?

one of the reason he decided not to turn senior was his scores werent as high to earn him 2 spots, so i dont know, i guess it would depend on his performance at his 1st GP assigment
btw he will compete at JGP Colorado Springs against Sota Yamamoto, Tomoki Hiwatashi and Daniel Somohin (its not 100% i guess since he is assigned to SGP as well :think:) didnt think he will face Sota early in the season but its gonna be exciting:popcorn:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
it wsnt, i actually added it to OP but forgot to post it :slink: thanks for posting!

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Amen!
it was really good, i am curious about performance aspect which we cant see at the video, music is very dramatic and he needs to dig deep, but i know he can do it :cheer:
i also wonder what his layout is, was popped Axel supposed to be double or triple? and i love the fact that he does 2Lo2Lo combo instead of 2T2Lo, but he needs to get rid of the illusion spin :hopelessness:
btw, i was watching his national EX programs, and he is tooo cute!

Golden skate has uploaded Nathan Chen's performance (high quality) for free. In it, you can see that while he is more reserved in the first two thirds, in the final minute he begins to open up and be more expressive. He's generally a very introverted skater (and person), so it's very cool to see him open a little bit. I think as he gets more comfortable with the program and performing it he may open up -- he does have the same coach as Ashley and Adam, after all :p

http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v332919083/?query=2015+Glacier+Falls

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Golden skate has uploaded Nathan Chen's performance (high quality) for free. In it, you can see that while he is more reserved in the first two thirds, in the final minute he begins to open up and be more expressive. He's generally a very introverted skater (and person), so it's very cool to see him open a little bit. I think as he gets more comfortable with the program and performing it he may open up -- he does have the same coach as Ashley and Adam, after all :p

http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v332919083/?query=2015+Glacier+Falls

on my defense, i wrote that comment before IN uploaded his FP :biggrin: i agree it looks better than fancam version, i love how he gets his start position, very fierce! i hope he will be able to stay in character as season goes on

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Thanks @matmuh for interview!
I’m really happy for him.:dance: What impressed me most was his skating.. I love it! Strong, smooth, deep… Further, he can dance well and has the innate ability to capture the audience hearts! Great entertainer. I was worried about his injury, but the effect was not seen in his performance. Good interview. He seems to be down to earth.:) GO!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Glad to hear he is injury free now. I've been waiting for a performance like that for the whole past season. Good luck in the FS!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thanks @matmuh for interview!
I’m really happy for him.:dance: What impressed me most was his skating.. I love it! Strong, smooth, deep… Further, he can dance well and has the innate ability to capture the audience hearts! Great entertainer. I was worried about his injury, but the effect was not seen in his performance. Good interview. He seems to be down to earth.:) GO!
I 2nd that !!!
I think Nathan's personality is kinda reserved and shy off-ice comparing to say bubbly Vincent:biggrin:
it may be a good personality trait for this sport...

Layback11

Record Breaker
Many congratulations to "Slaythan" on his awesome showing here at JGP USA! He got the 2nd highest junior score ever achieved in both the SP, FS and total. It was very good. Go and watch it. (He won, BTW.)

Seriously, I highly recommend you do. It is a gift to humanity.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
If he will skate like that at nationals he should be hard to beat for the title

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Some parts of Nathan's LP really showed certain level of charisma that we would only expect from a future men's Champion. I love it:biggrin:
Nathan's 3lz-2lo-2lo is my favorite!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
I was impressed with his competitiveness, my impression is that he seems to have potential to be the strongest US man competitor. :cool:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan! Great start to the season for him. Two great programs which he skated
fabulously, loved it! I would love to see him at Senior Worlds!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Some parts of Nathan's LP really showed certain level of charisma that we would only expect from a future men's Champion. I love it:biggrin:
Nathan's 3lz-2lo-2lo is my favorite!!:biggrin:

mine too!! :love: i think he should try 3Lz3Lo, at least for his SP
his mentality is amazng, i dont think he pops jumps often, just goes for it! i hope he will remain injury free for the rest of his life and show us amazing programs! :cheer:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Nathan on his win at JGP Colorado Springs! He was on fire for both programs - Rafael seemed very pleased with his performances. I'm sure they have things to work on (like getting his spins up to level 4 and bringing out a bit more of the performance), but he just wowed everyone. Lots of mentions on Twitter today about him.

The future of the US men's looks bright (as long as he stays healthy!) with such a talent. I've been following Nathan since he was about 12, and I knew he had great potential then, and it looks like he's starting to see that pay off.