Nathan Chen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

firal

Record Breaker
So happy that he seems to gain quite a lot of new fans or (rediscovery); was very impressed by his performance from last year and glad to know that he is injury-free and hopefully growing pains have stopped. Like many have said he has a total package.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Very impressed by this young man. He's got a mentality of a champion :) Wish him succesful and injury free season :cheer:

zebobes

Final Flight
Talk about Nathan Chen fills the other threads (any time there's a discussion about which U.S. man is on top), but this thread is pretty quiet.

Nathan just completed the SP at his second JGP. He broke his PB by a tiny smidge... over half a point. His PCS were all a tiny bit better. I think the expression here was much better than at his first JGP. His Triple Axel was a bit scary, but he made up for it point wise because he upgraded two of his spins to level 4. It's exciting to see him improve competition to competition! Now it's just the last spin and his footwork that need a little more work.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
just had a chance to watch it, i just love this program, but i think his performance at Colorado Springs was better, i really liked his new haircut too, looks more mature :love: great to see his spins were better this time around :yay: btw there is part where he does spread eagle while music goes "whoo whoo" new the ned, it was perfect with the music at nationals but he missed it at both off his events this year, hopefully next time he will hit it next time :cry: but looking at the program since last season, he changed his layout like billion times so i will give him a pass :laugh:
regarding the discussions about U.S. man, i understand the frustration caused by some arguments but i dont understand some users take it out on Nathan because some users thinks Nathan has the potential to win the title (which he has btw whether he skates like junior or not)
anyway, good luck on the LP Nathan!!! :cheer:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
yes, it does meet my standart! :biggrin: and landing of 3A here is better than the one it did at SP the other day:laugh:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
here is the video of LP, finally had a chance to watch it, it wasnt easy one (seems like he is have skate issues this time :hopelessness: thankfully new ones will arrive shortly ) but he held it together well, as Ted said he reacts to the situations well and he stays calm, i like this program more and more, and great to see he hit levels at spins and stsq :clap:
and here is the interview after LP, he is really shy, cant even look at the camera or Ted :laugh:

zebobes

Final Flight
When I watched it live, my impression was "Oh no, he's making so many mistakes!", but when I rewatched it, I realized that he actually did a lot better than I realized. Really, he only made two big mistakes, on both of the triple axels. Also, on the final spin, I remember thinking, "Wow, he's really making sure he gets level 4 on this." But both he and Daniel got level 4s on everything. Pretty impressive.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
But both he and Daniel got level 4s on everything. Pretty impressive.

Yes.

I think the spin during the lull in the music is strange. It worked earlier, when he rejoined the choreo on the soft beats, but it feels more random now. I know they altered it because they needed the higher level, but I wonder if they will find a better way to blend it into the program with more time.

Anyway, bravo, Nathan. Just an incredible comeback he's making, and it is such a pleasure to see him regaining that competitive fire on the ice. (If not in front of the microphone. LOL).

SunDae

Rinkside
I hope Nathan has passed his "growing pains" injuries. Will be exciting to see him compete healthy this season. I think his gymnastics background helps his skating and jumps.

SFCineSkate

Spectator
Yes.

I think the spin during the lull in the music is strange. It worked earlier, when he rejoined the choreo on the soft beats, but it feels more random now. I know they altered it because they needed the higher level, but I wonder if they will find a better way to blend it into the program with more time.

Anyway, bravo, Nathan. Just an incredible comeback he's making, and it is such a pleasure to see him regaining that competitive fire on the ice. (If not in front of the microphone. LOL).

I think this is because the program was designed specifically more for senior-level competitions. He did not receive the 10% bonus on the 3A in Colorado so he made sure he acquired that in Spain. IMO, I think it kind of actually works because he just kind of owns it. :luv17: But yeah, it's more natural with a longer lull in the music. That lull in the middle is the choreo step sequence that allows for him to have a 30-second breather before the second half and I actually think is an easier program than at the junior-level because of that.

SFCineSkate

Spectator
and here is the interview after LP[/URL], he is really shy, cant even look at the camera or Ted :laugh:

yes! he's surprisingly quite introverted and just turns it on for the performance. There's a comment on that video where someone thought he was being cocky and smug which I found ridiculous. He clearly looks awkward and can't even make eye contact with Ted.

zebobes

Final Flight
Some exciting news from twitter today about Nathan at the JGPF today.

News from #GPFBarcelona: Nathan Chen (USA) now plans 4 quads in FS: 2 x 4s & 2x 4T. Says, he did it in practice in his FS.

Do you think he will still do 6 Triples? How many quads will he do before the halfway mark? He can only do one Triple Toe combination because of Zayak rules. Can he do a half-loop Triple Sal? or how about a Triple Loop? Or will he drop a triple... maybe a Triple Axel, since it gives him so much trouble?

I hope he's not too ambitious, but he probably has better quads than triple axels, so maybe it will turn out better for him.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i was like :eeking: when i 1st saw that tweet, i think his layout will be
4S2T
4T3T
4S
(these are in any order)
-
4T
3A
3Lz2T2Lo
3F
3Lo

crazy layout :shocked: :hopelessness:

zebobes

Final Flight
i was like :eeking: when i 1st saw that tweet, i think his layout will be
4S2T
4T3T
4S
(these are in any order)
-
4T
3A
3Lz2T2Lo
3F
3Lo

crazy layout :shocked: :hopelessness:

With two double toes, one triple toe, and two Quadruple Toes... Man, he's in serious danger of Zayaking by accident. I hope he can do a 3Lz half Loop 3S... that gives him a little more room for doubling by accident.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
With two double toes, one triple toe, and two Quadruple Toes... Man, he's in serious danger of Zayaking by accident. I hope he can do a 3Lz half Loop 3S... that gives him a little more room for doubling by accident.
Actually, i think his actual 3 jump combo is 3lz2lo2lo, he did it until his last JGP where he did 3lz2t2lo , i have a feeling that he will somewhat be safe from zayaking, he has amazing air position, its like he glues his arm on his chest and never pop a jump :laugh: but repeating jump (causee by possible fall)? Not so sure :biggrin:
i hope he will be safe and not injure himself

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I guess it's more preparation for taking senior national title than thinking just about JGPF, maybe he wants to go to senior worlds

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not that concerned with Nathan adding more quads to his program - his technique is pretty sound and he's said in interviews that quads aren't hard for him. His 3A is his weakest jump so to do just one in his free will minimize risk.

zebobes

Final Flight
I admit, I wasn't feeling too optimistic about Nathan today when I saw how rough his triple axels were in the warm up. Kudos to him for putting out his best attempt during the SP. It wasn't beautiful, but it was decent.

I think it's too bad he made mistakes on his spins. If he had gotten the levels, he would have easily broken 80.

Do you think Yuzu knows how to pass on his triple axel to others? Because so many in the mens field have scary axel technique.

Last edited: