Nathan Chen | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

humbaba

Final Flight
Apparently, Amber Glenn and Nathan are dating. Kinda got the feeling the two were sweethearts, based on pics and posts on social media. Amber's tweet to Nathan on his birthday confirms it. They make an adorable couple. :)

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Sorry to be late! Happy Birthday, Nathan!:cheer:
im sure this year will be a wonderful year fo you. just stay healthy!:clapper:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
it was expected, he is in junior circuit for 4 seasons already :biggrin: looking forward to seeing him too!! he is back on ice now but not doing jumps, hopefully he will work on his spins and not lose any valuable points :dbana: :laugh:

I thought he was allrounder and couldnt find any weak point with his techniques. Does he have any problem with his spins?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I thought he was allrounder and couldnt find any weak point with his techniques. Does he have any problem with his spins?

his positions and speed is good but he tends to lose levels on his spins, of course he had other mistakes but one might say they cost him the national title :biggrin:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
his positions and speed is good but he tends to lose levels on his spins, of course he had other mistakes but one might say they cost him the national title :biggrin:

Thanks!:biggrin:
he has potential to increase his BV! Good luck with your spin, Nathan!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
By randomly searching for any program performed to "Peter and Wolf" by Prokofiev, I got to see his performance to the music and to Kungfu Panda during the season 2009-10.

OMG, how come could he be so cute! :love: Too much cuteness! He was so musical at the age of 10. Granted, I only watched his performances from the past few years, but I can see why the U.S. media got so crazy about the young prodigy.

2010.US.Champs.Novice.Nathan.Chen - FS: Peter and Wolf
Nathan Chen - 2010 Pacific Coast Sectionals - SP: Kungfu Panda

And I also rewatched his performances at 2016 US Nationals and noticed that people in the front rows at the venue were smiling at him as if they were Nathan's parents or relatives when he just appeared to compete there. :)

I really look forward to seeing how he without injury would compete with the big boys in senior circuit.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Icenetwork got Nathan covered.;)
So he is planning to jump quads. Sal and Toeloop, and he's been training new ones too. What do you think- will he go for three of four quad LP this season?

its great to hear he is doing well and got a lesson to take care of his health!! regarding how many quads he will do, considering how 3A isnt his favourite there is a good chance he will go for 4 quads :slink:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
its great to hear he is doing well and got a lesson to take care of his health!! regarding how many quads he will do, considering how 3A isnt his favourite there is a good chance he will go for 4 quads :slink:
:eeking:Oh my... I thought he supposed to be careful...;)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Nathan's SP from Golden West Championships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJrqcX1_Ek

i really like the program, stsq is great and he hits all the notes :luv17: but 4lz and 4f?? seriously? 4f looked really good though(a lot better than Shoma's i think), shame about 3t, 4lz seems at least UR to me :think: but boy, does he have very short set up , i think he has very good jump technique except for axel, dont remember all the protocols but i havent seen him get edge call :think:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Nathan's SP from Golden West Championships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJrqcX1_Ek

i really like the program, stsq is great and he hits all the notes :luv17: but 4lz and 4f?? seriously? 4f looked really good though(a lot better than Shoma's i think), shame about 3t, 4lz seems at least UR to me :think: but boy, does he have very short set up , i think he has very good jump technique except for axel, dont remember all the protocols but i havent seen him get edge call :think:
I'm sorry but I did not like the skate itself. So he went for those difficult jumps and could not deliver a 3A afterwards. Biggest BV does not guarantee the benefit of the big number. He may turn into another planned and failed quads dreamer, same as Kovtun. It is not the best strategy to win judges' hearts IMO. But good to see him compete again and good luck with his first Senior year!:)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I'm sorry but I did not like the skate itself. So he went for those difficult jumps and could not deliver a 3A afterwards. Biggest BV does not guarantee the benefit of the big number. He may turn into another planned and failed quads dreamer, same as Kovtun. It is not the best strategy to win judges' hearts IMO. But good to see him compete again and good luck with his first Senior year!:)

i agree that skate wasnt great, but i think program has so muchh promise, he has nice transitions between elements, but i dont agree that he might turn into another "quad dreamer" , i am sure many said that about Yuzuru when he kept falling on 4S but look at him now, and comparing him to Maxim? just no :biggrin: i think he has better technique than Maxim, he will do fine unless injury prevents him

Sorrento

Record Breaker
i agree that skate wasnt great, but i think program has so muchh promise, he has nice transitions between elements, but i dont agree that he might turn into another "quad dreamer" , i am sure many said that about Yuzuru when he kept falling on 4S but look at him now, and comparing him to Maxim? just no :biggrin: i think he has better technique than Maxim, he will do fine unless injury prevents him
Nathan had two competitive quads last season. Now he makes a comeback after a surgery with 2 new ones when they are like raw meat. 4F was fully rotated but did not give the best basis for another jump in a combo. My point is: is this the best strategy to enter the Seniors? Fall on new quads? What he aims to succed with it? I would not put my bet on him if he continues to fall on those quads in every competition, honestly I did not enjoy Boyang's distorted LP with poor landings and I don't want Men's field to be famous with quad falls mostly.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Nathan's program is absolutely NOT just jumps. there are plenty of transitions and Nathan's musicality and years of ballet training is shining throughout.
Nathan is NOT Boyang, just because he is doing insane jumps too. Sometimes, gifted people such as Nathan CAN do both.
Yet, Nathan does have problem with stiff landings before, which worries me. From this outing, can NOT judge his landings. Hope her landings become smoother.
Heard somewhere that 4S give him hip pain, thus opt to do other quads. I think he wanna to be competitive as a debutee, his PCS will get hammered, thus opt to do more difficult quads, he is in tough spot. Fingers crossed, he will be healthy.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Seriously, the kid is so unstoppable... I hope he cares about his health. I don't want to even imagine he would be disqualified for the 2018 Olympics due to unexpected injuries again after he presented two magnificent performances at Nationals just like last season's withdrawal from Boston Worlds. He needs to stay healthy!

ETA: However, I think his such attempt on quads should be discussed, so opened a thread in the Edge.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?60316 Nathan Chen's 4Lz, 4F-3T attempt

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Come on, Nathan is not like Kovtun. I don't want to say about other skaters' weaknesses and disadvantages on fan fest, but that is a hard fact. Nathan has jumps with clear take-off, musicality, SS, and consistency except a body prone to be injured. I just want Nathan doesn't risk his health for the quad adventure though. He could get decent scores in the GP series with 3 solid quad landing combined in SP and FS.

Last edited: