Nathan Chen | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The news article section in the OP needs to be updated since May 2016, so I collect articles from icenetwork.

Chen makes more history in Finlandia free (Oct. 9 2016) by Jyrki Pirkkalainen, icenetwork
Fellow competitors in awe of gold medalist's jumping prowess
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/10/09/205521454

Kovtun leads, but Chen makes history at Finlandia (Oct. 8 2016) by Jyrki Pirkkalainen, icenetwork
U.S. bronze medalist first skater to attempt quad lutz, quad flip in short
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/10/08/205426180

With Zoueva by his side, Chan ready for challenge (Oct. 7 2016) by Jyrki Pirkkalainen, icenetwork
Coach in Finland with three-time world champ, U.S. bronze medalist Chen
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/10/07/205285908

The Inside Edge: Chen, Edmunds headline 'EWC' (Sept. 12 2016) by Sarah S. Brannen, icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/09/12/200902400

Chen hopes to put injury bug behind him in 2016-17 (August 26 2016) by Lynn Rutherford, icenetwork
JGP Final champion to change training regimen in order to avoid setbacks
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/08/26/197645372

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/09/12/200902400/

According to the September icenetwork article covering "An Evening with Champions," run by Harvard University students, Nathan is currently a senior in high school and wants to attend Harvard. Before that, He intends to take a gap year next year to focus on making the Olympic team for PyeongChang. :luv17:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
According to this article, the reason why Nathan attempted 5 quads instead of his initial plan of jumping 4 different quads in the FS at Finlandia.

...in the middle of his free skate at the Finlandia Trophy, Nathan Chen decided to add a fifth quad on the fly.

"I missed the first (quad) toe and was kind of annoyed by that," Chen said. "The toe is usually my most solid jump, so I decided to try it again."

The boy is fearless and has an indomitable spirit. :laugh:

Jorik Hendrickx, Patrick Chan and Maxim Kovtun's opinions on Nathan's 5 quads are featured in the article.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Here are remarks from Zoueva at Finlandia before Nathan competed because I think there are people wondering why Nathan was with Zoueva not Rafael, his coach at the event. Her evaluation on Nathan's talent is pleasant to hear.

"We work together at the moment because I made his (short) program," Zoueva explained.....With him, we work a lot with skating skills, the emotional level of performance, spins and consistency in the programs."

"When I started to work with him, I just fell in love with his talent -- talent of movement, talent of skating, just general talent, how he respects the coaches' word.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thank you Crossover!! i updated the OP and added competition results as well :agree:

btw, i wish he would get annoyed by his spins and stsq levels as well, cause i am annoyed that he is losing valuable points :slink::palmf:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
congratulations to Nathan for great SP debut with 2 great quads!! (i will pretend 2A never happened for a second :hopelessness::biggrin:) anf for new PB!!! :yahoo: i really like this program and he gets better everytime, and his levels arent a mess this time, 2 level 4 and 1 level 3 spin , level 3 stsq :clap: and 41 PCS is pretty high for newcomer

liv

Record Breaker
I think he did very well here. I enjoy his sp. I liked his quads, of course, but I also liked his step sequence and he hit the notes nicely. For me, his issue is the lack of program in his free program and quad emphasis... but that was at Finlandia, a month ago, and I'm sure he's progressed since then. Marina would definitely be working on that. It should be interesting tomorrow.

Danibellerika

Medalist
congratulations to Nathan for great SP debut with 2 great quads!! (i will pretend 2A never happened for a second :hopelessness::biggrin:) anf for new PB!!! :yahoo: i really like this program and he gets better everytime, and his levels arent a mess this time, 2 level 4 and 1 level 3 spin , level 3 stsq :clap: and 41 PCS is pretty high for newcomer

I was also thinking the PCS was really high for a new guy on the scene! I quite like Nathan and am looking forward to him developing.

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Congratus Nathan! wonderful! i think his performance and program was the best of all sp.
still his movements have much to improve, but i cant put my fingers on, he is elegant! love his style so much!

tinlizzie

Final Flight
It looks like Nathan has been through ballet intensive training. His arm and hand positions, extension and posture have improved so much. What a wonderful SP:clap:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
It looks like Nathan has been through ballet intensive training. His arm and hand positions, extension and posture have improved so much. What a wonderful SP:clap:

Nathan has been doing ballet since he was a baby. He has serious and years of systematic ballet training.

tinlizzie

Final Flight
Nathan has been doing ballet since he was a baby. He has serious and years of systematic ballet training.

Thank you for the history of Nathen Chen's ballet training. I'm a new fan and was not aware. It's wonderful to see the artistry in this program!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great skating from Nathan, loved his SP. Good luck today!

Last edited:

Tallorder

On the Ice
Well known history of ballet training didn't seem to come through for years. This SP and the training environment in Canton, on the ice each day with Chan, the Shibs, and ice dancer under Marina's eye, seems to be serving him well to reveal his artistic potential. Very promising.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beautiful ballet arms. Wow! Please, please stay healthy Nathan! :clapper:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
His FS is still not as much polished as his SP, but I'm so glad that he changed his layout and he definitely put more energy into choreography. It is a great luxury to watch how the young prodigy progressed over the time.

Congratulations to the first Grand Prix medal in the first senior year. :)

Tahuu

On the Ice
I'm so worried he is ruining his body at expense of a long term career

He jumped left and right at practices and competitions, it's worrisome. But he sounded knowing what he's doing according the Kyodo News article: "I have to get recovery (time), and make sure that I'm healthy for the Final. I don't want to do anything crazy throughout the next few weeks before the Final. My biggest fear is getting injured. I have to make sure I stay healthy throughout the season."