Nathan Chen | Page 907 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

1111bm

Final Flight
Yuzu has the edge in artistry and GOE but Nathan definitely has the edge in BV. Maybe I'm not well-informed but his easier content this year compared to the previous ones could be only because he didn't need to take any risk to win till now. He can come out with a completely different and unbeatable layout in GPF.

Hm, I'm not so sure about that.

BV-wise it really depends on their current layout on a given day, f.i. how many combos they put in the second half and which quads they choose to do. I think Nathan had an advantage of several points last year, but that might change this season, if we assume that Yuzu now has the 4Lz in his arsenal, ready to use it. Especially if he's gonna include it together with the 4Lo in one program (I'm actually really curious if that is his ultimate goal? And is he gonna exchange another quad for the 4Lz or go for a 5 quad program?).

In terms of GOE it's actually pretty much equal on spins, StSqs and ChSq. Yuzu obviously has the edge on the 3A, but regarding the other jumps, if landed cleanly and with confidence, I'm not sure who of the two would earn more GOE. Both of them are capable of landing one great quad while at the same time struggling with another one at each competition. :laugh:
But yeah, overall, Yuzu appeared more consistent with his jumps lately, but since we haven't seen Nathan for a month, who knows what he's been up to.

Artistic capability aside, I believe the most important thing is to have a confident performance and elements executed as cleanly as possible, and the PCS will follow accordingly. Although yes, if both are clean and put out what I call a triumphant skate, Yuzu will win the PCS.

heyheyhey

Final Flight
Didn’t we already know that though? Considering he was able to finish his GP a month early and spending his break in Cali, think we all assumed there will be extra time spent with Raf.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Didn’t we already know that though? Considering he was able to finish his GP a month early and spending his break in Cali, think we all assumed there will be extra time spent with Raf.

Dave made it sound like he was in on a secret that Nathan was skipping school to train and doing school online. But if it's just Thanksgiving week plus a few extra days then it's no big deal.

1111bm

Final Flight
Dave made it sound like he was in on a secret that Nathan was skipping school to train and doing school online. But if it's just Thanksgiving week plus a few extra days then it's no big deal.

IKR, I thought it was hilarious how he pulled out this 'secret insider info', when Nathan even made an IG post regarding his travel back home, and he's also mentioned his plans to do so in an earlier interview. :laugh:
The only actual school time he's going to miss will start this upcoming week during his stay in Italy.

ecr1221

Rinkside
I love how Nathans FS costume, which isnt his final costume by any means and was literally something put together last minute, got nominated for the ISU best costume award 🤣🤣

sheetz

Record Breaker
A little from World Figure Skating interview. Translated by dsntedge.
https://instagram.com/p/B5gvK0wJCXj/
-This is your third time to participate in a GP in France. Why did you choose to compete in France?

Nathan:
‘That's because my best friend, Romain, is here. I usually can't see him easily. My first choice was Japan. But of course there is world championship medalist Yuzuru. It's a good competition here and I enjoy France, but the best one is Romain.’

-You're close.

Nathan:
‘He is wonderful as a person. He is also a role model that gives me great ideas and tells me what it means to be a good person. He has a great heart anyway, and such a good guy. I think it's incredible great thing to have a friend who can help me unconditionally like him.’
-----------------------------------
Countdown to GPF
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5hJArfpRau/

oly2018

Final Flight
I interpreted Dave's comments as a subtle way of telling Johnathan not to underestimate Nathatn. I don't think he was implying the it was secret info that Nathan was with Raf for a little over a week. I think he was trying to say someone told him Nathan is training well and don't expect him to show up unprepared for a faceoff with Hanyu.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Interview on Japanese TV
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2019/status/1201501805500223489

MFD speaks about Nathan in World Figure Skating magazine interview. Translated by dsntedge
https://instagram.com/p/B5juCk8p-3D/
-After last season, you are working on the "Rocketman", Nathan Chen's free program this season, and it is a very cool program.

Marie-France:
‘I like it so much. I really enjoy working with Nathan. He is the smartest athlete. Even though he has unlimited talent, he always challenges. Moreover, he has a perfect balance between competition and study. In addition, he has respect and understanding, and I can feel his willingness to move forward as an artist and skater. I can't look for anything more. Working with him gives me vitality.’

-The program is a fresh style of rock and hip-hop.

Marie-France:
‘Yes, but the first part is extremely lyrical. I think that this configuration was able to incorporate a style that will entertain everyone. The last hip-hop is loved by children and the first intense part is lyrical, so you can feel his honed skating edge work. In addition, he does a lot of quad jumps, so he is exactly the Rocketman. I would like to brush up these nuance throughout the season.’

-At the beginning of the season, Nathan said he had no idea why this concept was chosen for him.

Marie-France:
‘Did he say that? Haha, I think he is the Rocketman, though. When the movie was released, I listened to the music and was about to find music for Nathan. Then there was music that I thought was for Nathan, so I went to the cinema with my colleague dancer Samuel Chouinard who helped me with the hip-hop part. When I watched at it, it was made as a musical movie, so I thought Nathan wouldn't have to play Elton John. He can skateing this legendary song as “Nathan Chen”. so I thought that he could grow as one artist in the best music.’

sheetz

Record Breaker
Short clip of FS run thru. He did 4F3T, 4Lz, 4T1Eu3F.
https://twitter.com/nwcgold2019/status/1202202026492301313

ETA:
Full run thru. Fell on 3A but landed everything else.
https://twitter.com/mimpi0707/status/1202211376338329601
https://twitter.com/mimpi0707/status/1202213143235006464
https://twitter.com/mimpi0707/status/1202213263007596544

Looks like his layout is 4F3T, 4Lz, 4T1Eu3F, 3A, 4S, 4T, 3Lz3T

Skating order is

1. Aymoz
2. Boyang
3. Aliev
4. Nathan
5. Samarin
6. Hanyu

Article: Before Yale final exams, Nathan Chen faces a different test: Yuzuru Hanyu

lurkz2

On the Ice
Hope our boi skates clean programs. Might be too nervous to watch, please keep me posted on this thread. :)

Tahuu

On the Ice
Looks like his layout is 4F3T, 4Lz, 4T1Eu3F, 3A, 4S, 4T, 3Lz3T

If Nathan is clean, Yuzu would need to counter it with 4Lo, 4S, 4Lz, 4T, 4T1Eu3F, 3Lz3T, 3A3Aseq. 4Lo, 4S, 3Lz, 4T, 4T1Eu3F, 3A3T, 3A2T would not be enough.

In today's practice,

Nathan: 4F3T, 4Lz, 4T1Eu3F, 3A(fall), 4S, 4T, 3Lz3T
Yuzu: 4Lo(fall), 4S, Lz(mark), 4T, 4T1Eu3F, 1A1T, 3A3Aseq

lzxnl

Final Flight
If Nathan is clean, Yuzu would need to counter it with 4Lo, 4S, 4Lz, 4T, 4T1Eu3F, 3Lz3T, 3A3Aseq. 4Lo, 4S, 3Lz, 4T, 4T1Eu3F, 3A3T, 3A2T would not be enough.

In today's practice,

Nathan: 4F3T, 4Lz, 4T1Eu3F, 3A(fall), 4S, 4T, 3Lz3T
Yuzu: 4Lo(fall), 4S, Lz(mark), 4T, 4T1Eu3F, 1A1T, 3A3Aseq

If either of these two can skate seven quads cleanly, they deserve to win. I think it unlikely that both skate perfectly clean programs across both days, because quads are hard.

Nathan's 4F and 4Lz are looking great!

As for comment about Yuzuru
3A+3A = 12.8 base value
3Lz+3T = 10.1 base value
3A+2T = 9.3 base value
3A+3T = 12.2 base value.

The first option you presented is about 1.4 BV higher. However, Yuzuru is more than likely able to make up for it with crazy 3A GOEs. I think the sequence was just because he popped a 3A in the run-through before.

I just realised though that doing only one 3A isn't so bad for Nathan as he doesn't like that jump, and it doesn't affect his base value that much.

discode

Final Flight
Looking good. Curious to see if he actually cleanly lands 5 quads. Been awhile! And 3lz3T is better than 3A2T anyway.