Nathan Chen | Page 925 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

zebobes

Final Flight
Nathan’s final rehearsal in Sam’s IG story :luv17:, probably before going back to school
https://instagram.com/sam.chouinard7?igshid=8zq802xznxyw

https://twitter.com/aboutNathan0505/status/1232452057325395968?s=20

It's so cool to see the evolution/upgrade in choreo and performance. I don't know how to describe the differences I see... there's a lot more oomph and holding of movement compared to the beginning of the the season. Is it just me, but it feels like his movements have slowed down. Did they simplify some of the choreo, or is it just because he has more confidence, he knows how to better hit and hold each movement, allowing it to breathe? The sliding movement could use just a bit more POP, but the hip hop dancing finally has the swagger that was missing in the beginning.

I'm curious if they've worked on the first step sequence at all. That part of the program in particular, Nathan always seemed to me to be going through the motions, being very precise, but very detached in the performance aspect. If they can bring this level to the rest of the program...

1111bm

Final Flight
It's so cool to see the evolution/upgrade in choreo and performance. I don't know how to describe the differences I see... there's a lot more oomph and holding of movement compared to the beginning of the the season. Is it just me, but it feels like his movements have slowed down. Did they simplify some of the choreo, or is it just because he has more confidence, he knows how to better hit and hold each movement, allowing it to breathe? The sliding movement could use just a bit more POP, but the hip hop dancing finally has the swagger that was missing in the beginning.

I'm curious if they've worked on the first step sequence at all. That part of the program in particular, Nathan always seemed to me to be going through the motions, being very precise, but very detached in the performance aspect. If they can bring this level to the rest of the program...

The latter. He's not slower, just executing more defined movements, whereas in the beginning of the season he seemed to almost wing it in certain places and was a bit more... flaily, for lack of a better word.

I like both versions. At the start of the season it looked raw and untamed, like he's just rocking out by himself. Now there's more precision and looks more like specific dance moves.

Agree about the StSq, I think it's so unimaginative and falls totally flat. Usually they're my favourite part in a program (and Nathan is so good at them too) but the ones Marie-France gave him are so bland... but I also hate 'Rocket Man' the song, so that part of his FS does nothing for me in terms of the music, and I'm not surprised that neither the StSq itself nor his execution are particularly exciting or interesting... kinda fits the song... :slink:

luckyu2

On the Ice
It's hard to compare the speed when camera angle and resolution are different. It does not appear slower in my eye. The moves at the beginning of the season were more 'chaotic' for lack of better words, which some people may like it more or less.
I'm actually hoping that Nathan works with another choreographer for his FS next season just to explore more of his talent.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Well it'll be interesting to see what Nathan chooses if he moves back to California next season. Montreal was convenient for being relatively close to Yale, but he also seems to like visiting because he has lots of friends there. And judging by the smile on his face on the IGS he clearly enjoys working with Sam.

luckyu2

On the Ice
Well it'll be interesting to see what Nathan chooses if he moves back to California next season. Montreal was convenient for being relatively close to Yale, but he also seems to like visiting because he has lots of friends there. And judging by the smile on his face on the IGS he clearly enjoys working with Sam.

I am curious if he has a team who put their heads together to decide on the choreographers and music choices for his programs. Who are these people that may have inputs?

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I am curious if he has a team who put their heads together to decide on the choreographers and music choices for his programs. Who are these people that may have inputs?

He has said that his music choices comes from his choreographers - Nemesis, Caravan, and La Boheme were from Shae-Lynn, and the Rocketman soundtrack idea was from Marie-France.

I also hope that he will work with a different FS choreographer, but he seems very comfortable with Marie-France and team, and likes their work.

luckyu2

On the Ice
He has said that his music choices comes from his choreographers - Nemesis, Caravan, and La Boheme were from Shae-Lynn, and the Rocketman soundtrack idea was from Marie-France.

I also hope that he will work with a different FS choreographer, but he seems very comfortable with Marie-France and team, and likes their work.

MFD and team mostly work with ice dance teams. To me the hardest part of choreographing FS is to integrate quads with the program seamlessly which may not be their strongest suits. Just my 2 cents.

chanchan

On the Ice
MFD and team mostly work with ice dance teams. To me the hardest part of choreographing FS is to integrate quads with the program seamlessly which may not be their strongest suits. Just my 2 cents.

Agree. And i doubt how much attention did MFD put into Nathan. The rocketman music is originally chosen for PC, but cizeron rejected. Then she gave it to nathan. :palmf:
Nathan deserves something better.:slink:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Agree. And i doubt how much attention did MFD put into Nathan. The rocketman music is originally chosen for PC, but cizeron rejected. Then she gave it to nathan. :palmf:
Nathan deserves something better.:slink:

It does seem that Nathan deserves better than someone’s unwanted program. I think Rocketman is fine for this season, the Yellow Brick Road section is quite musical and Bennie is fun. But not the best step sequence, and the Rocket Man section falls kind of flat.

Not related to MFD and team, but La Boheme isn’t my favorite either, compared to Nemesis and Caravan. This is superficial, but I feel the costume change wasn’t great :p The loose shirt doesn’t complement the program or his physique, and apparently the color was influenced by Vera’s Fall 2020 collection (there’s a lot of lavender and also yellow).

Hoping for better programs going towards the Olympics!

RainMaker

On the Ice
i agree with u guys, i die of embarassment when he perform rocketman, when olympic season come, i hope he not playing around, i love nemisis and his olympic lp song i forget the name those were fire. but rocketman and labhomie anit it fam

- - - Updated - - -

i hope nathan goes back to body suit for costume, those bodysuit was fire i like the caravan world one, and his olympic ones

wintersmith

Rinkside
Agree about the StSq, I think it's so unimaginative and falls totally flat. Usually they're my favourite part in a program (and Nathan is so good at them too) but the ones Marie-France gave him are so bland... but I also hate 'Rocket Man' the song, so that part of his FS does nothing for me in terms of the music, and I'm not surprised that neither the StSq itself nor his execution are particularly exciting or interesting... kinda fits the song... :slink:
I guess I'm the only one who likes the StSg. :laugh:

sheetz

Record Breaker
La Boheme works better as a show program under the spotlights and Rocketman could use a few more choreographic details, but I generally like them. More importantly, I feel he's learning things that will help further his development as a skater and performer. With La Boheme he's had to slow down and skate in a more relaxed fashion, while with Rocketman he's continued to learn new choreographic moves. For the Olympic season his team will be able to look back on his repertoire and pick out those things which he's done the best.

luckyu2

On the Ice
I like both La Boheme and Rocketman. They are visually attractive programs (yes, even with those costumes lol). La Boheme is a nice change after Caravan and I enjoyed watching him skate in a more soft motion. Rocketman brings the modern hip-pop vibe to a rather traditional field and definitely 'pops'. Both are good additions to his collection. If you compare across the field, he's got two strong programs for this season.

My next season's wish is to see a program that brings out more inner self of him and connect with audience more at emotional level. Also, skaters and choreographers don't always 'click' working together for the first time. It would make sense to try something different next season if he wants to further expand his selections for the Olympics.

1111bm

Final Flight
I do think the placement of the jumps is very well done in his Rocket man FS, in regards to the music or musical cues. For me they add excitement and highlights in the program, even though I'm not necessarily a 'jump lover' who loves the thrill of them or whatever. It doesn't feel like they're just squeezed in there, because the skater has to complete his 7 jumping passes.

Although I have to say, it's rather simple in the way it uses obvious musical cues, so it's not as elegantly done and subtle as Mao's last dancer was (seriously, rewatch that program, preferably early versions where the pressure of the upcoming Olympics had not yet gotten to Nathan, and pay attention to the jump placement in relation to the music). I obviously prefer MLD, but I mean, his Rocket Man FS is a medley of pop songs, i.e. 'easy listening' and catchy, so the program construction will be more accessible and direct as well. :shrug:

sheetz

Record Breaker
I do think the placement of the jumps is very well done in his Rocket man FS, in regards to the music or musical cues. For me they add excitement and highlights in the program,

I agree. Plus, it speaks to the level of mastery he has attained with his jumps that he's able to time them to the musical cues in that way. I also think he's the only multi-quad jumper who has multiple setups for at least two different quads. The vast majority of skaters only use a single setup for each quad, but Nathan can use different setups for 4T, 4F, and 4Lz.

--------------------------
Schedule for Worlds is up
http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/WC2020_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

1111bm

Final Flight
I'm surprised (and sad, look -> :sad4::drama:) that some don't really like La Boheme? I love it, it's so beautiful and I rewatch it often.

As for La Boheme vs. Nemesis/Caravan:
It's true that the former is not as original or unusual and the choreo doesn't have as much of an own character as those other programs, especially Nemesis. And in that sense it's not as 'creative' or rather, inventive.

So yes, I would agree that every season Shae gives him 'merely' a conventionally beautiful program is kind of a wasted opportunity.
But that doesn't make La Boheme a program that's lacking.

Also, personally I believe that it's very challenging to perform. The music is restless, and the singing especially is so erratic, not only in its tempo, but also its mood. And expressing softness while doing quick movements is very difficult, it's a lot easier when you can take your time and control your movements better.

I'd say 'pleasant' classical music or pop songs such as Rocket Man are a lot easier to skate to, because the music flows nicely and lends itself well to movement on ice.

1111bm

Final Flight

I'm so impatient already, but also sad, because after this the season is over and no more skating from Nathan for such a long time. Not a fan of shows in general, and never liked BFTE or Next to me, so that's not a substitute. Maybe if I'm lucky he'll skate one of his competition programs at some shows.

Also really curious if he can jump Lutzes again? Because that could have quite an impact on his jump layout in the free skate.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I agree with sheetz that La Boheme is best as a show program, I loved it upon first viewing from the Japanese show broadcast. I still like it, but just not as much as his previous two Shae-Lynn programs or Le Corsaire. I think Nathan does a good job with the program, but I am not sure that he feels a great connection (or even particularly likes) the music.

He is very musical and so talented, and he’s capable of better or more signature programs! But that’s not really necessary this season, and it’s good that he’s trying new things to figure out what will work for the future.

Hoping he can now jump lutz again!