Nathan Chen | Page 927 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Currently Nathan is back on top, but there was a suspiciously huge spike in votes yesterday around the time that Darlene Cane replied to the Tweet, so I thought that maybe she organized a voting squad to support C-G/L?

The tournament could get fun and interesting if some underdog skaters can rally the votes.

:laugh: Re "suspiciously," surely you jest. :laugh:

As if some Nathan fans out there do not actively cheerlead to increase votes for him whenever he is on a ballot for something.

Obviously there is nothing "suspicious" about the tweet from Darlene -- to her whopping group of twelve followers. (No offense, Darlene. :ghug:)

My bracket has Nathan as the overall winner of the entire thing, but like sheetz, I hope that other skaters also get a lot of votes.

sheetz

Record Breaker
:laugh: Re "suspiciously," surely you jest. :laugh:
I won't argue with you about what constitutes "suspicious", but let's just say quite a few people were very surprised by the sudden spike in votes and leave it at that.
----
Some photos from the Yale ice show, with Nathan and the rest of the performers
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9U2Oo2DUv6/

Skating map of Nathan's SP. Interesting to look at, although not sure how to interpret it.
https://twitter.com/SkatingMaps/status/1235688033292136448

1111bm

Final Flight
Skating map of Nathan's SP. Interesting to look at, although not sure how to interpret it.
https://twitter.com/SkatingMaps/status/1235688033292136448

I wouldn't interpret it at all, because it's actually missing a bunch of stuff, so it's not a very accurate or even correct representation. A better idea would be to simply watch the program itself. :laugh:

I haven't checked any of their other maps to see if those also contain mistakes, because I don't usually know a program well enough by heart, unless it happens to be a favourite of mine or I enjoy watching that particular skater.

Such maps are fun to look at when you know the program (and notice what's missing ;)) but they don't tell you much about a program, because it's a purely quantitative analysis (I also don't agree with their classification into basic, easy and difficult skating or rather I find the whole concept questionable, but that's a whole other topic...)

Reddi

Rinkside
I wouldn't interpret it at all, because it's actually missing a bunch of stuff, so it's not a very accurate or even correct representation. A better idea would be to simply watch the program itself. :laugh:
Can you please elaborate on that? I'm really curious.

Decoder

On the Ice

luckyu2

On the Ice

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan gave his teleconference call ahead of Worlds. Sounds like he and Mariah were on the same call.
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1237861828174032896
Obviously, it's an upsetting situation, however, given everything that's been going on - it's the right decision. It's definitely the right move, despite everything that's happening in skating.
Even before this, I was concerned about everyone around me. I was concerned about Raf because he's been traveling a lot. As an athlete, we put a lot of preparation in to this, & it's difficult. But there's always Worlds next year.
NChen on potential of rescheduled #WorldFigure in Oct: As timing goes, it wouldn't be ideal. I understand b/c things that are based on Worlds [spots, etc.]. Whatever the situation ends up, it's completely abnormal for this to happen. We will all do the best that we can to prepare
None of us have been in this situation before. This would be a discussion that we would have to take with Raf. Our summer will probably still be the same - we don't want to burn ourselves out. It's basically the beginning of the season.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Surely SOI Hachinohe will also be canceled. I assume the shows in Italy are canceled, and I’m not counting on being able to see him at SOI in California. We probably won’t see him for quite awhile.

Wishing for his continued good health as always!

sheetz

Record Breaker

discode

Final Flight
2021 Worlds is super important. I can see why coaches and skaters aren't that interested in trying for 2020 worlds so late.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Yeah, 2021 Worlds would be the most important in this Olympic cycle. Nathan is pretty consistent though, so I think he would be okay if Worlds is really happening later this year.

Ella5555

On the Ice
It was sweet that Nathan was concerned about Raf because of all the traveling he had been doing. Actually, I was concerned about Nathan because of his tendency to get sick before or after a competition. As much as I’m disappointed to not see him skate at Worlds, I think this is better for him - and all the competitors, support teams and spectators. The good news is that we don’t have to listen to all those complaints about overscoring, which would have happened no matter what the outcome was. The bad/sad news is that it’s going to be a little while before we get to see him skate again.