Need help - Obscure Children's Book | Golden Skate

Need help - Obscure Children's Book

Amei

Record Breaker
So a coworker of mine is having a baby in August and we are going to have a baby shower for her at the office. However she requested instead of cards that we give a children's book with our name inside and a little note or something for the baby. Which is a cute idea, but now I have to find a children's book and I'd like it to be an obscure/little known book because I don't want to be one of a dozen or so Dr. Seuss books.

Any Good Suggestions would be appreciated.

She's having a girl.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
How about a pop-up book? I think they're quite special.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So a coworker of mine is having a baby in August and we are going to have a baby shower for her at the office. However she requested instead of cards that we give a children's book with our name inside and a little note or something for the baby. Which is a cute idea, but now I have to find a children's book and I'd like it to be an obscure/little known book because I don't want to be one of a dozen or so Dr. Seuss books.

Any Good Suggestions would be appreciated.

She's having a girl.

Because your friend obviously likes books :), two cute picture books that are about books:

The original one: "It's a Book."

The spin-off "board book" version for very young kids: "It's a Little Book."

Disclaimer: I have firsthand knowledge only of the original version -- which I liked very much.​

On a totally different note: "Yoko," a sweet story about a girl kitten and her classmates as they all learn to celebrate each other's differences.

Sorry, I don't know how obscure (or not) any of these suggestions would be to your fellow gift-givers and/or to the recipient.

How about a pop-up book? I think they're quite special.

I love Robert Sabuda's pop-up books :).
Another disclaimer: His inventive pop-ups are well-known (I believe) to be state-of-the-art. And at least some of his books would be better saved for older kids (and/or even adults ;)) who can appreciate the full scope of his creativity, detail, etc.

humbaba

Final Flight
They might not be obscure enough for you, but you might consider one of Munro Leaf's books. "The Story of Ferdinand" is a classic, written in 1936 and still in print today. I think it's generally recommended for 3 to 6 years old. I confess, I still read and enjoy it. :laugh: "Ferdinand" might be a too obvious choice, but you could look at some of Leaf's other books.

As the baby is a girl, you might check out "Nanette of the Wooden Shoes" by Esther Brann. One of the stories in that book is "Nanette Visits the Chateau", a perennial favorite of young girls. I made my Mom read that story to me a million times when I was little.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Possum Magic, or Koala Lou.

Wombat Stew is another good one, and Shoes from Grandpa is a classic.

One of the favourites of my family was Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?

And for when they're a little older, I LOVED the "There's a Hippopotamus on My Roof Eating Cake" books.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I stumbled upon this recent Boston Globe column offering suggestions to someone seeking "newer or lesser-known recommendations" for picture books (and other children's books).

Possum Magic, or Koala Lou.

Wombat Stew is another good one, and Shoes from Grandpa is a classic.

One of the favourites of my family was Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?

And for when they're a little older, I LOVED the "There's a Hippopotamus on My Roof Eating Cake" books.

None of these are familiar to me :), and I feared :hopelessness: what the storyline of Wombat Stew would be -- until a quickie Google search put my mind at ease ;).

Thx for the list -- I look forward to going through it later to discover what each one is about :popcorn:.